Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise in a turn at greater than 50 mph-2006 ST1300- Michelin Pilot 2 tires

Bike
    ST1300 - 2006
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Noise in a turn at greater than 50 mph-2006 ST1300- Michelin Pilot 2 tires

After the bike is warm and been run for a bit, when applying countersteer forces to the handlebars, I hear a noise coming from the front of the bike that you don't hear when going straight. It is apparent above 60 mph. I jacked the bike and checked for play or bearing racket from the front wheel. No apparent issue. The front tire seems to be OK also.

The noise is like a whine or vibration but you don't feel it in the handlebars and doesn't occur when the bike is cold.

Comments and ideas are welcomed. Thanks. Cordially, Dave Wilson

Bike has been maintained by Honda and has 17000 on it.

2. › Site Search for: Noise in a turn at greater than 50 mph-2006 ST1300- Michelin Pilot 2 tires
    Bike
    07 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Noise in a turn at greater than 50 mph-2006 ST1300- Michelin Pilot 2 tires

That is a common noise from the PR2's it is not a problem.
    R.I.P. Terry 'ACL' Hammond ___ R.I.P. Bob Donaldson

Bike
    2013 GL1800
    My Gallery

The Michelins are notorious for being noisy especially off center such as leaning in a turn.
    The missing link
    Did you ever get the feeling the world is a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?
    I know I'm getting old, I was in Las Vegas last week playing the slot machines and 3 prunes popped up!

Bike
    '08 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Ear plugs solved the same problem with my PR 2's

Dave
    I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." D Boone:

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    Ear plugs solved the same problem with my PR 2's
    Bridgestone BT-023's solved it for me
    Jason Fox -
    06 ST1300 - darkside w/ Falken's Ziex ZE-512
    http://jasonfj.blogspot.com/

Bike
    '07 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I have the same problem (no vibration-only noise) with a Metzler ME880 radial. There was never a sound with stock BT020.
    He who would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will loose both and deserves neither. Benjamin Franklin

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Dave, I too suspect the tires. Can you post a pic of the worn tire tread, both front and rear?

But .... Your point about it happening after the bike is warmed up makes me wonder a little about brake rub (the tires will whine regardless of cold or warm). You should look at your brake pads and rotors to ensure there's no unusual wear (gouges, grooves, or atypical color on rotor, or down to the metal on the pads). Look for any objects trapped in/around the brake pads or pistons. Also make sure the calipers are floating (can be slightly flexed laterally). With someone's help and with bike on centerstand, have someone rotate the rear wheel (in neutral) and then you should pull the left front brake caliper forward by hand to engage the SMC (Secondary Master Cylinder)--doing that should instantly brake the rear wheel. When you let go of the SMC, the rear wheel should free up so that it can be spun normally again (with ever so slight pad dragging sound on the rear disc, of course).

Let us know what you find.
    John - 2004 ST1300A

Bike
    st1300 '04
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

+1 The PRs don't know the words...
    Just turn up the ear buds.
    Carl, SToc#7163, ST1300 '04

Ventura Highway
    My Gallery

Yup, tire hum that sounds like a bad bearing. Typical with a number of brands and models of tires with different levels of intensity. Usually starts to occur after you've put a couple of thousand miles on the tires. New tires often of the same brand will correct it temporarily. It's nothing to worry about and, at least in my case is inaudible with ear plugs in.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

You're never lonely with the PR2s.
    In the middle of no where they'll hum to you.
    Jim

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast