Noise in a turn at greater than 50 mph-2006 ST1300- Michelin Pilot 2 tires

PilotDave

Dave Wilson
Bike
ST1300 - 2006
STOC #
After the bike is warm and been run for a bit, when applying countersteer forces to the handlebars, I hear a noise coming from the front of the bike that you don't hear when going straight. It is apparent above 60 mph. I jacked the bike and checked for play or bearing racket from the front wheel. No apparent issue. The front tire seems to be OK also.

The noise is like a whine or vibration but you don't feel it in the handlebars and doesn't occur when the bike is cold.

Comments and ideas are welcomed. Thanks. Cordially, Dave Wilson

Bike has been maintained by Honda and has 17000 on it.

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I have the same problem (no vibration-only noise) with a Metzler ME880 radial. There was never a sound with stock BT020.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Dave, I too suspect the tires. Can you post a pic of the worn tire tread, both front and rear?

But .... Your point about it happening after the bike is warmed up makes me wonder a little about brake rub (the tires will whine regardless of cold or warm). You should look at your brake pads and rotors to ensure there's no unusual wear (gouges, grooves, or atypical color on rotor, or down to the metal on the pads). Look for any objects trapped in/around the brake pads or pistons. Also make sure the calipers are floating (can be slightly flexed laterally). With someone's help and with bike on centerstand, have someone rotate the rear wheel (in neutral) and then you should pull the left front brake caliper forward by hand to engage the SMC (Secondary Master Cylinder)--doing that should instantly brake the rear wheel. When you let go of the SMC, the rear wheel should free up so that it can be spun normally again (with ever so slight pad dragging sound on the rear disc, of course).

Let us know what you find.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yup, tire hum that sounds like a bad bearing. Typical with a number of brands and models of tires with different levels of intensity. Usually starts to occur after you've put a couple of thousand miles on the tires. New tires often of the same brand will correct it temporarily. It's nothing to worry about and, at least in my case is inaudible with ear plugs in.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree with the others, PR2s tend to whine or moan the last half of their life. That was my experience with a couple sets to 8500 - 9000 miles. All I had to do was lean the bike the tiniest bit away from vertical and they would start singing. When I first noticed it I was sure a wheel bearing was failing. I am pleased that the successor tires Pilot Road 3s do not have the same noise.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with the others, PR2s tend to whine or moan the last half of their life. That was my experience with a couple sets to 8500 - 9000 miles. All I had to do was lean the bike the tiniest bit away from vertical and they would start singing. When I first noticed it I was sure a wheel bearing was failing. I am pleased that the successor tires Pilot Road 3s do not have the same noise.
How many miles on the PR3's Dave? I have a set hanging ready to put on.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ran a PR3 rear to 8700 miles before replacing it. It picked up a slow leak at 3000 miles that I lived with until replacement. It still had about 3/32" tread but I was never comfortable with the 1 lb a day leak it had. The puncture was a 3/8" wide slit that gummies or a rubber plug could not seal. I think it would have gone 10,000 miles - at least 20% improvement in mileage over my experience with PR2s and 40% over Storms or Z6s.

Now the F/R set have about 1500 miles on them.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If the tire tread pattern is a regular repeat spacing, at certain speeds, the natural frequency of the front fender will be excited and act as a resonator. This can set up quite a howl. The Dunlop OEM on my 2005 ST1300 was notorious for howling at about 50mph.

A tire with a random variation in the tread pattern spacing will be much quieter.

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
Hi guys. I have a set of PR3's with about 3000 miles on them and have noticed a noise with them the last 1500 miles or so, whether I'm going straight or around a curve, and seems to get louder the faster I travel. But let off the gas and it pretty much disappears instantly, give her gas and its back instantly. Sounds like a bearing going out or something-- kind of a howl. My bike has about 35000 mile on it and diff oil changed every 3000 miles or so, when engine oil is changed. I run 42 psi front and back and check it every am while on a trip. I have noticed especially the rear starting to feather or cup already which I thought was a bit premature. I know the Storm ST's used to start to feather but I was hoping the Michelins would be more resistant to that. So my question is, do I look for something else maybe causing the noise like shaft drive bearings or rear wheel bearings etc or just keep driving it and hope its just the tires?? Thanks in advance for your input.

Top Bottom