Michelin PR3

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I forget how many miles I had on the rear pr3 and toasted front pr2 which I just swapped. I didn't notice anything in the rain with the pr3.

Today might be the 1st rain day with the new pr3 front and rear.
We'll see.

The PR2 rear did fine in the rain it only wanted to step out when it was post toasty.

Bike
ST1300A
I have a PR3 on the front and a PR2 on the back. So far the rear has about 8000 on it, and still has plenty of tread left. The front has about 3000 on it, and shows very little wear. They hand well in the rain, and feel very planted on a dry road. Very satisfied with the Michelins.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Switched to PR3 tires right at 6K miles ago. Really confident on tight mountain roads here in Colorado. Scrape pegs without a hint of slippage.

Need to change the rear tire. It has flattened in the center. Still some tread, could ride it farther, but it feels "funny" riding on the curves with the flat center area.

Not a bad reflection on the tire, however. My wife and I have a combined rider weight of nearly 400 pounds. We just did a 2000 mile trip from Colorado across Kansas and Missouri to Arkansas in 95-100? F temperatures in June. Straight, very fast and flat through most of Kansas and Missouri. Would guess road surface temperatures to be 110-120?F or so. That should put a flat spot on any tire.

We also just did a 1500 mile trip together last week in Colorado. Although much of that was twisty mountain roads, we also rode a good strectch of I-70 in 90? F temps and some 95-100? strectches in and around Vernal, Utah on flat rough back roads.

The front tire is still in great shape. The sides of the rear tire still look great, too. My guess is that if I did only solo twisty riding, the rear tire would have lasted at least to 9K or more.

I do not ride aggressively in the rain, but I did buy the tires to ride in the rain. Have ridden them in the mountains in heavy rain and they never faltered. On dry roads I tend to multiply speed recommendations in curves by 1.5 to 1.75, but follow them explicitly on wet roads. That said, going 40 MPH on a 40 MPH curve in heavy rain is completely comfortable on the PR3 tires. I often come out of those curves faster but my entry speed matches the recommended speed.

Part of my confidence with these tires may come from their hype on these forums. Nonetheless, I do tend to ride somewhat assertively in the mountains and tar snakes and gravel/sand are my only enemies. On clean asphalt or concrete these are the best tires I have ever ridden.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
Just ordered my PR3's for $580 from a Powerhouse here in the GWN (Great White North). Just at 12576mi (20240km) on the 020's, running 42 f/r and rider/gear up to 220lbs. Roads are everything from flat/straight to twisty (REALLY twisty) hills. But little to no gravel. The bike's like a cow on skates on that stuff!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I'm on my 2nd set of PR3s. I pulled the 1st off @ about 6500 miles (about 2/3rds done i'd guess), to put a fresh set on for a long trip. Now I'm home with about 7000 miles on that 2nd pair. A fair but of life left in them too. I really like the grip in all conditions. More important to me than longevity.

I'll put a 3rd set on.

St1300rider ... $580 is a real big number! Pete's superbike will save you $200 or more - shipped to your door quickly. Or there's keel bros but I don't think Tim is doing Cdn shipping anymore. Worth checking tho ... He may be back at it. Or Ship to a US UPS (or similar) address and go pickup ... But that's not alot of good unless you're going anyway.

Just saying ...

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just ordered my PR3's for $580 from a Powerhouse here in the GWN (Great White North). Just at 12576mi (20240km) on the 020's, running 42 f/r and rider/gear up to 220lbs. Roads are everything from flat/straight to twisty (REALLY twisty) hills. But little to no gravel. The bike's like a cow on skates on that stuff!
Great tires, but Wow! that's expensive! Does that price at least include mounting and balancing? I think a more typical price, mail order, is around $300/set.

Top Bottom