GoPro Mounting Points

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I am thinking about buying one and looking at mounting points on the bike.

I would like to see pictures of the bike mounting points of your cameras pro's/cons.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't have any pics but I used the suction cup mount below the ST1300 sticker on the fairing. Be sure to attach a tether to the camera case wherever you decide to mount it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Though I'm not using a GoPro, I regularly mount fore & aft camcorders on my ST1300 using RAM mount hardware. In fact, I just finished fabricating a new mount for the rear. I used a piece of 3/8" x 2" aluminum flat bar, and drilled/tapped it to fit the 3/8" thread of a RAM ball. I bought a couple of RAM balls having 1/4" threads which screw directly into the base of my small camcorders.

Attachments

Has anyone used a handlebar mount fastened to the bar end weight? I am thinking of this as I have seen cameras that come with this type of mount.

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I personally wouldn't recommend the bar-ends. The further out you go from the steering stem, the more movement, shaking, and flexing you have - even with the rubber mounts in the base of the handlebars attachment. My GoPro and my previous Contour mounts using the Ram ball system anchored to the right-handlebar using the two brake lever bolts - right near the reservoir. I get quite a bit of movement there and it would only be worse if it was at the bar-ends. Ideally, the camera would mount to the steering stem ball (my Garmin is there) or the suction cup on the tank where it won't be rubber suspended. Again, I do not like the handlebars for mine at the reservoir - yours at the ends could be 25~30% worse due to exagerated movement.

Hope this helps - Regards, Gordon

Here is my first YouTube with the GoPro and you can see the movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXza3mZMg-Q

You're right Gordon, I never thought about movement I think I will go with suction cups and a bullet cam on the fairing. With a safety wire incase the cups fail, but I have a rear tyre to buy first. :(

Bike
'05 ST1300A
Use the suction cup it comes with, and stick it on the fairing in front of/to the inside of the mirrors. It's stay there all day. Mine has never come off even at freeway speeds. I agree, don't forget the tether just in case.

Arundel, West Sussex, UK on the south coast.
Bike
2015 ST1300A-E
I have attached a mount on the top of the wing mirror. It can get a little vibrational at higher speeds or bad roads and there is an annoying rattling noise on occasion (the mirror assembly I think). I also have on one top of my helmet for comparison. Picks up the engine noise quite well despite being in the waterproof shell.
HH.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I have used the suction cup on the side bags and have one of the stick on shoes on the dash, as well as one on the side of my single wheel trailer. The trailer one gives a great view.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I've got a stick-on mount on my topbox (great view rearward but too much vibration), a stick-on mount on my right side pannier (OK view), and a stick-on mount under the left side mirror (fantastic view but catches a lot of bugs). As I don't have the wifi back I wanted to keep them all within arm's length for turning on/off while riding...

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I just suction cup mine to wherever I want to mount it. One of my favorite locations is on the left saddlebag facing forwared. DON'T forget to wet the suction cup just a bit for good adhesion. I forgot to to this when I was gokarting one day. I mounted it to my helmet and within the first lap the camera fell off. My buddy's grandson was ahead of me and I was trying to pass him so that I could pick the camera up off the track on the next lap. As luck would have it, the little guy ran right over the camera before I could pass and pick it up. I got the camera and looked it over with no real issues. Mounted it properly for the next series of laps and it worked just fine.

Bike
Vstrom/ ST1300
We use a Drift Innovation HD camera, helmet mounted with it's remote handlebar mounted. It is hardly noticeable and works better at getting 'candid' footage while riding. We have captured conversations with service people, exchanges with small children in Morocco when we would be giving out pencils, etc. that you can't get with a bike mounted camera, and the Go Pro sticks out like a sore thumb on a helmet.
There is also Contour HD cameras which have now come down in price.
Get something that mounts as high as possible for great footage, low mounted units just don't show the terrain as well.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300A
May be old news, but laws pertaining to the recording of conversations vary across our country. Some places require the knowledge of all parties, others require the knowledge of only one participant (guess who THAT person is). This was a subject I researched briefly when some of our employees requested voice-recorders to assist with their duties. The legality issues made the idea too troublesome to be considered worthwhile.

chriSTopher

2006 st1300a "Night Fury"
STOC #
I found this innovative, home-built Go Pro mount the other day:

[video=youtube;8rj8uO63zs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rj8uO63zs8[/video]

the video has a pop-up link to how he put it together, but essentially it's modified tent pole pieces attached to the rear footpeg & rear turn signal. Low cost and offers a nice PoV. Don't think it'll accomodate a 2up though...

Top Bottom