GoPro Mounting Points

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
OK, so I'm thinking about adding a sticky Mount to the inside of my windshield where the camera can project out just over the edge. Does anyone know if the sticky pads for a GoPro Mount are easy to remove ?

Cheers!
Decided against this idea due to vibration. I like the roll bar idea but I'd like to mount it higher. Went with under the mirror for now. Got to figure a tether out too.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I bought a kit on Amazon years ago, it came with a ram suction cup and a 6 or 8 inch bar. I've ridden at over 100 mph with it on and it wasn't shaky and didn't budge at at all. I stuck it to my lower left cowl. . Gives a great forward view. The go pro suction cup is horrible. . . It's like this one, but mine came with 2 arms and the bar. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Unfortunately in CA I have seen many suction cup fail in my car on the windshield due to the heat. Was wondering if this is true for these kinds of mounts to. The last thing I want is a following driver to get a 1 lb missile in their windshield!!!

I bought a kit on Amazon years ago, it came with a ram suction cup and a 6 or 8 inch bar. I've ridden at over 100 mph with it on and it wasn't shaky and didn't budge at at all. I stuck it to my lower left cowl. . Gives a great forward view. The go pro suction cup is horrible. . . It's like this one, but mine came with 2 arms and the bar. .

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Unfortunately in CA I have seen many suction cup fail in my car on the windshield due to the heat. Was wondering if this is true for these kinds of mounts to. The last thing I want is a following driver to get a 1 lb missile in their windshield!!!
I've used that RAM suction cup mount on my ST1300's side panel with no issue ... always stays on all day long. My camera is wired to a remote DVR, so that cable would act like a lanyard if the cup were to come loose. So why not attach a simple lanyard? Do you plan to leave it on for more than one day at a time? (I assume that's what happened in your car.)

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've used that RAM suction cup mount on my ST1300's side panel with no issue ... always stays on all day long. My camera is wired to a remote DVR, so that cable would act like a lanyard if the cup were to come loose. So why not attach a simple lanyard? Do you plan to leave it on for more than one day at a time? (I assume that's what happened in your car.)
Mine came with a white bungee that goes in the channel of the arm extension. . .in stead of a hook at the end it has a C clip. . I always attach it, even though I know it won't fall off. It just gives extra peace of mind:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
hoowasat said:
So why not attach a simple lanyard?
I would do this with any mount short of screw/bolt-on. A dedicated lanyard is easy and cheap insurance.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I was considering the same thing Critters, I've been using the Dogcam bullet cam but mine leaked and let in water which rusted the USB socket, and as they no longer make the cam I guess that means a new one.

I personally dislike anything that looks like it's an add-on so fixing a Go-Pro to the Pan's going to be interesting. I keep crawling all over it but can't thik of anywhere that would appeal to my OCD and give good shots.

I did wonder if it were still possible to get the Police Blue Light mount that fixed to the mirror mounting, giving a threaded post for the Go-Pro perhaps? Subtle it ain't but perhaps colour matching the Police mounting it may merge into the background and not look too bad... Now, finding one could be a rave and you may have to get it from the US, but if it's any help the part number and description is: Honda STAY, R. FR. PATROL Part # 88800-MCS-A30

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I would suggest the RAM suction cup over the gopro brand if you go that route. I have used it in the same location below the ST1300 sticker on the right lower cowl. My longest ride with the camera mounted was just under 700 miles, about half of that was at highway speed. I also used it in the same area on my F4i and never had an issue with the RAM suction cup. I couldn't get the gopro suction cup to stick for more than a few minutes.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I used the regular stick on mount with a ball joint swivel on the fairing just above the left cylinder head, it takes great video for twisty roads, capturing the lean angles, front suspension/steering movement and engine sound. I recently rented an RT with a mount on the side of the screen, very handy for quick start and stop recording and much better for capturing the scenery we so often miss whilst concentrating on the road ahead. I'm going to try an additional stick on mount on the left side mirror housing, a better spot than the ST screen which appears more flexible than the RT.

Attachments

Bike
2005 st1300
I used the regular stick on mount with a ball joint swivel on the fairing just above the left cylinder head, it takes great video for twisty roads, capturing the lean angles, front suspension/steering movement and engine sound. I recently rented an RT with a mount on the side of the screen, very handy for quick start and stop recording and much better for capturing the scenery we so often miss whilst concentrating on the road ahead. I'm going to try an additional stick on mount on the left side mirror housing, a better spot than the ST screen which appears more flexible than the RT.
Wow, that is a heck of a heave in that road!! There is 6 inches of daylight under that trikes left wheel

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Wow, that is a heck of a heave in that road!! There is 6 inches of daylight under that trikes left wheel
Yeah this was Beartoothe pass in June last year, there where a bunch of people spectating and taking photos on the switch back ahead. Luckily I caught up the trike just before the heave and had slowed down, I'd have have hit it alot faster, I did pull the trike over at the top of the pass, took his email and sent him a video of his flying trike!

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I bought an INNOVV bullet cam C5 and then spent quite a while trying to find some way of mounting it in an unobtrusive fashion, and this was the best arrangement that I could come up with. It's actually fixed to the BLM spotlight mounting with the wiring fed through the gap between the mirror and fairing.

240687 240688 240689

Setting up was simple as it has it's own wifi so you can view it live on your smartphone, the wiring is a doddle and it appears to be well built. Support is good and rapid.

Last edited:

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I use a Contour HD cam on my 2007 ST and my 2015 wing. Its mounted in the same location on both, under the cowl.

I also have a windshield clamp mount that I use. It works but has more vibration. I have only used it on the wing. I suspect the vibration would be worse on the ST's windscreen.

Windscreen mount information.

Video with under the nose mount on ST

Video using the windscreen mount.

Attachments

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I use a Contour HD cam on my 2007 ST and my 2015 wing. Its mounted in the same location on both, under the cowl.

I also have a windshield clamp mount that I use. It works but has more vibration. I have only used it on the wing. I suspect the vibration would be worse on the ST's windscreen.

Windscreen mount information.

Video with under the nose mount on ST

Video using the windscreen mount.

Very nice, thanks for the 2 videos.

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC

We must have spent a couple of hours trying the cam in various locations, such as under the mirror where the previous cam was fixed and under the nosecone, but it was unsuitable with the former because of the cable layout, and the latter because of the danger of it hitting the mudguard under heavy braking. Fortunately the BLM spotlight mounts provided a suitable location for us.

During a wander around the net I found this advertised, and thought that it could possibly be a tidy answer for a cam location with a RAM mount?
https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Navi+GPS+Holder+Honda+Pan+European+ST1300.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom