Need new hand grips

Bike
1998 ST1100
Looking for replacement hand grips for my 1998 ST1100. I bought the bike used and it has some spongy black grips on it (they are not heated). I think they have been on the bike awhile and seem to be deteriorating. I like them because they give some added cushioning to the grips though have not seen any like this on other bikes. I am pretty sure they are aftermarket. Now I am looking to replace them but have not been able to find much info on replacement grips. I am also thinking about a throttle lock device and know that heated grips can not be used with throttle lock.

I am looking for some suggestions on non-heated grips.

Alan

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Alan,
I don't have a suggestion for you regarding replacing the grips but in your description you mention the spongy black grips. Are you sure they are not an add on like tha grip puppies? If so you can just remove them and have the original grips. As I type this I realize this sounds silly

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm with Chuck.

The BMW grips are great. I have Symtec heaters under them without any issues from either.

OP
OP
Alan T
Bike
1998 ST1100
Thanks guys. I have a few questions. Can the BMW Sport Grips be used with the Symtec heaters and the Vista Cruise throttle lock together? To save me a trip to the garage and unwrapping and digging out my bike stored for the winter, what size handlebars or grip size do I need for my 1998 ST? the common size applications I am seeing are 7/8 inch and 1 inch. Are the BMW Sport Grips soft, do they provide any cushioning? Some forums I have looked at state the BMW grips leave black marks on your hands or gloves, any comments on this?

Alan

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Alan,

I have Symtec heaters under the BMW grips. That isn't any problem. Yes, the BMW grips offer some cushioning. I am very happy with that along with the contour of them.

The Vista Cruise is unknown to me. Previously, I had a VC on the bike when it had stock grips on it (when I first bought it used). The stock grip was cut back some to accommodate the VC. Hopefully someone else will answer this part of your question.

Part numbers: Left: 32721458395 Right: 32721458396 These work on the 1100 or 1300.

Good luck.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The BMW grips are what I like too. No problem with the Symtec heaters.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I prefer the ProGrips Rally and am using them with heaters under them. On the Hunter flat bars, the heating wires are coming out of a slit I made in the safety wire groove. On the Full dressed STeed they just exit the normal way.
As I have the Hunters, and was looking for a solution to some left hand numbness, I mounted a throttle tube on the left and buy two sets of grips. The hunters get the 22mm left sides and I use the 24mm throttle side on the other bike.
At any rate, the Rally grips are the best I've found so far.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I'm with Chuck.

The BMW grips are great. I have Symtec heaters under them without any issues from either.
+1 on the BMW grips. I have the BMW grips on my ST11 with grip heaters as well. No problem.

As for the Vista Cruise, I would suggest you take a look at the Go Cruise. I had the Vista Cruise but am now using the Go Cruise. The Go Cruise is more better IMHO. I did have to cut the BMW grip down some to accommodate the Vista Cruise. As you will see in the video below you don't have to cut anything to install the Go Cruise. You just slip it on the grip and that's it. And the Go Cruise never needs adjusting like the Vista Cruise does periodically. Or at least mine did.

[video=youtube;WAklTq-V6VM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAklTq-V6VM[/video]

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the Rally dossn't fit the Vista Cruise well so one may want to trim the flange. The NEP brand locks work fine. (I prefer those as the Vista puts the lever in the way of the starter button).
I'm seriously contemplating the Go as well. My throttle tube in the Hunters is worn from a NEP being on the bike for I guess most all it's 70,000+ miles.
I likely won't need grips any time soon but may consider the Beemers then. But I'd need two sets...

STOC #
Hey Guys,

I bought an ST recently and need to replace the grips.
It's got foamies on it now, which I really like, but I think some creative engineering has gone on previously.

It has Heli-bars - 7/8"

On the Left, there is a soft plastic spacer under the foam grip, that increases the diameter to 1 1/8". It can be cut off to get 7/8" again

On the Right, there is a white hard plastic sleeve that increases the diameter to 1". It has a flange that is under the starter switch housing.

I've located BMW sport grips for $9 each. It'd be $30 altogether with shipping. But I couldn't find any info about the: inner diameter, outer diameter [ie. can you put grip puppies over them], or if they have a flange on the throttle side that goes under the starter housing.

- My question is, do I need to removed the white plastic sleeve on the throttle side to try and get 7/8" on both sides again?

-Or do I leave it, and buy mis-matched inner diameter grips. Or do the BMW sport grips come with unequal I.D.'s? I haven't found specs on them anywhere. In the photo shown earlier in this thread, the I.D. does not look equal.

I guess I'll have to put some type of rubber grips back on it before I can put grip puppies on it, because they state they fit an outer diameter of 1.25 to 1.45".

Attachments

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
- My question is, do I need to removed the white plastic sleeve on the throttle side to try and get 7/8" on both sides again?

-Or do I leave it, and buy mis-matched inner diameter grips. Or do the BMW sport grips come with unequal I.D.'s? I haven't found specs on them anywhere. In the photo shown earlier in this thread, the I.D. does not look equal.
:mw1: don't mess with the white plastic,,,that is your throttle tube. The BMW grips you need will be in two different inside diameters. the outside will be the same. Look again and it should say "throttle" or "throttle side" and "non throttle side.
I really like the BMW grips. Very comfy.

I have a 2002 ST1100. Don't ride in really cold weather so don't need heated grips. I would like to add the BMW Sport Touring (also called Spiral) Grips. Do I get the same and the ones that go over the heat strips? In other words are the BMW grips the same for heated and unheated?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have the BMW Sport Grips over which I have the Grip Buddies Super Sharks- love the setup! I believe the grips are the same, unheated and heated. By the way, I have Helibars as well, so these grips fit perfectly.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have a 2002 ST1100. Don't ride in really cold weather so don't need heated grips. I would like to add the BMW Sport Touring (also called Spiral) Grips. Do I get the same and the ones that go over the heat strips? In other words are the BMW grips the same for heated and unheated?
Makes no difference if you have grip heaters or not it would be the same set of grips regardless. However, if part of what you are asking is if the same size grip fits both sides, they do not. The left and right side take different size grips. Here's the part numbers: BMW Sport Grips left #32721458395, right 32721458396

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
so are pretty much all sets of grips a little bigger on the right to account for throttle tubes?
That's correct. And most Japanese (Metric) bikes use a different set (smaller inner dia.) than H-Ds and maybe other bikes, so you see sets for 7/8" and 1" respectively. I got the BMW grips shown above for my ST:

32 72 1 458 395 Left K1, K1
32 72 1 458 396 Right K1, K1

These are really comfortable grips and I may put some Grip Puppies on them if my arthritis acts up. I used to use Grab On foam grips as they had a large diameter, slightly longer than stock, and were really comfy. But I can only find them in chrome and I'd have to modify them as the end cap is metal and don't accommodate the bar end weights.

Top Bottom