Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips

Bike
    Honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Oxford heated grips

I just recently installed a set of the oxford heated grips for sport bikes on my ST and they feel nice and toasty after about 30 sec on full power, only tested in a garage though.

Kind of late to ask but anyone else install these and have real riding experience with them?

On top of that, i am thinking of getting a set of grip puppies or something similar to make the grips thicker. I recently read through a bunch of threads from 2005-2008 about heat from symtec, hondaline and other heated grips working through the extra layer...so i'm assuming it would be the same with the oxfords. I also read that they absorb water, so any better alternatives that may be easily available in Canada, or cheap to ship from the US?
    answers are probably somewhere in old threads but I'm too lazy too read them any more

› Site Search for: Oxford heated grips

Bike
    '12 BMW K1600GT
    My Gallery

Re: Oxford heated grips

I installed the oxfords and love them. I believe you'll find you can't ride with them on the the 2 highest settings, they'll cook your hands. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes before they're HOT HOT! I run them on high while I get the bike warmed up, then drop them down a notch until they're nice and toasty while I ride. Then I set them on the 2nd from the lowest setting and leave them. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The only thing I would change would be to make them a little wider. Other than that, they're are great.

Bike
    2007 st1300
    My Gallery

I installed my oxford "for sport bikes" a few months ago. No complaints heat-wise. I'll concur with JoeP about needing to dial them down a level or two. No experience with grip puppies.
    My only gripe with the oxfords, the lights on the control unit are difficult to see so during daylight hours I often cant tell what heat level I'm at. I emailed oxford to see what I could do ... no response.
    To help see the control unit lights I switched around the metal mount (located near the left grip) and used velcro to attach the control unit to the mount; drop me a line if you want pics.

Bottom line - no regrets!

Bike
    ST 1300A
    My Gallery

I installed this winter as well. Only went for a short ride with them,but like them so far. I never heard of grip puppies. But I do know I can't stand my grips feeling thick, if they are too thick my hands cramp up. I even look for gloves that aren't bulky in the palm. Which I'm having a hard time finding. Why can't they make gloves with thin palms? that way the heat from the grips can heat your hands even easier.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    Honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I found that last year while riding with the stock grips, my right hand cramped up and fell asleep a couple of times. Never had this happen on my other bikes, which had thicker grips. So i figure must be due to the narrower grips on the ST. Might have been because i wasn't use to the size of the grips on the ST, i'll probably wait until i can get a ride or two in before i make a drastic decision on spending $10-15 on grip puppies (or something similar)

Atleast every one is enjoying them, now i can't wait to get a first ride of the year in

Bike
    '12 BMW K1600GT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by p3210 View Post
    My only gripe with the oxfords, the lights on the control unit are difficult to see so during daylight hours I often cant tell what heat level I'm at.
    My buddy that turned me onto the Oxford grips had the same complaint about his controller. The following controller, which is different than his and possibly the one in which you speak, came with mine. I have no complaints at all about it.

Bike
    FJR1300 '13
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

I've been using the Grip Puppies for nearly 200K miles so far and never found rain/water to be a problem with them. They don't absorb that much and dry fairly quickly, specially if they're on heated grips. For me their advantage is a little thicker, but much softer which leads to a lighter, less straining/tiring grip over time. Had no problem with heat getting through them, maybe a little longer warm-up time when first turning on the heaters. FWIW.

Hadn't heard of these heated grips before and enjoyed this thread. I'll be looking into them.

QUESTION: Which model grips fit the ST1300?

Shuey
    "If you don't know where you're going . . . any road will take you there!" Unknown

"Life is 10% how you make it
    and 90% how you take it."
    Irving Berlin

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    Honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

This is the set i got Hopefully this helps

I just did a 13km ride in our lovely +5 weather (would have done longer but there is still snow,ice, and sand) to test out the heated grips, I had it on the 2nd lowest setting (40% i think) and my hands were setting.
    As for the display on the controller, i was easily able to see all the lights except for the 40% one which i couldn't see at all.

I did get a few strange looks and some double takes from people who i rode past. It is normally still the middle of winter (-15 degrees celsius) this time of the year

Bike
    2001 ST1100
    My Gallery

I hope to add a set of these to the wife's new VStrom soon. They have a lot of stuff at this site in Ontario and so far they are very good and offer quick shipping to my address.

http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/StorePage.aspx

Bike
    '12 BMW K1600GT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shuey View Post
    QUESTION: Which model grips fit the ST1300?

7/8" grips.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast