Oxford heated grips

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
+3 on using compressed air to get old grips off. If they're "stuck" just poke a thin screwdriver blade in and move it around to break the grip free.

Putting new grips back on . . . hair spray works great. Grip will slide on, and when the hair spray dries it becomes tacky without glueing surfaces together. Grip will stay put and not roll around. Easy to get back off if/when needed.

Shuey

Bike
2003 ST 1300
I installed this winter as well. Only went for a short ride with them,but like them so far. I never heard of grip puppies. But I do know I can't stand my grips feeling thick, if they are too thick my hands cramp up. I even look for gloves that aren't bulky in the palm. Which I'm having a hard time finding. Why can't they make gloves with thin palms? that way the heat from the grips can heat your hands even easier.
I have the same problem. My solution was Aerostich elkskin roper. Awesome gloves now up to $49.00 worth every dime. (my summer gloves)

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
Hey I just installed these on the Steed last night. I had melted the plastic controller on the stock Honda heated grips set a while back when replacing the thermostat and found out Honda no longer offered them. Although the old grips still worked, I was not able to easily turn them off (usually required some magical force from the back of a screwdriver and about 5 min), certainly not something I could do while riding. Removing old grips was easy on the left side but the throttle side was on tight. I ended up slicing the grip open with a knife to get it off. I tried the compressed air trick but it did nothing. Cleaned up the glue from previous install with my fingernail on the left side and some sandpaper on the throttle. I opted not to use the included glue and went with some hairspray. It's on pretty tight at the moment, although I will have to test out turning them on to see if the heat loosens them up. I can always remove them and use the glue if the hairspray doesn't stick enough.

I removed the 2 spacers (at least I think they're both spacers) from the throttle lock as the new grips are significantly shorter than the Honda ones. Throttle lock seems to be working fine without them.

And a pic comparing the old and the new grip sizes

Since I already had a hole cut for the old controller on the left fairing, I opted to mount the Oxford controller in the same spot (too bad the wiring runs out at the bottom of the unit and not under it) and ran the wiring along the side of the tank and under the seat. I ended up taking off the left fairing to remove all the old stuff so this was pretty easy, although it would have been easy enough to do with just lifting the gas tank up. Also I connected everything directly to the battery as it already has an inline fuse but am a little concerned that they work without the bike running - just don't want some little kid to walk by and press the on button and return to find a dead battery. I suspect I will change how it's connected in the near future. I haven't had it out in the sunlight yet, so I can't comment on the brightness of the lights but they seem really bright in the garage with the garage door open and sun shining a few feet away.

Old grip off the throttle side

Bike
2005 ST1300
I finally got these heated grips put on, easier than I thought and the next day got caught in a 100 mile cold rain storm. Set at 30% and 40% and toasty warm all the way home.

Last edited:

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
And after taking her out this afternoon, the brightness is pretty crappy! If I use my hand to shade the sun and look at it a certain way, I can make it out but that's about it.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
And after taking her out this afternoon, the brightness is pretty crappy! If I use my hand to shade the sun and look at it a certain way, I can make it out but that's about it.
Don't worry about the lights sir- just go by feel!

perk263

perkSTer
Bike
2004 ST 1300
I've used the Oxford heated grips for two winters, the only time I can use the high setting is when it is below 20 degrees F. I use them in conjunction with Gerbing heated gloves (T5).

Bike
2006 ST1300
After freezing my hands off last night and this morning due to the failed Honda grips, its time to look for replacements. So far it looks like everyone likes the Oxfords. How does everyone like the controller? My big issue with the Honda grips is that the controller is difficult to see & use due to the location and lack of lighting. I also would have liked a true dial controller for them. The location of the Oxford controller is much improved, though I think I'll mod the bracket to make it even easier to reach (flip it up). Is the switch lit enough to see the buttons at night?

Fwiw, I'd be picking them up from Whitehorse...their regular price is the same as TW's "sale", and without the extra $15 shipping.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
My big issue with the Honda grips is that the controller is difficult to see & use due to the location and lack of lighting.
If I had the choice of fitting a controller I would have the rotational "dial" type on the left handlebar like my 1100 had, no need to take eyes off the road, nothing fancy and it did the job.

Bike
2006 ST1300
In looking at different vendors for the Oxford grips, I have seen two different controllers- one is the digital box (push button), the other a heat-troller type dial. Evenb looking at the Whitehorse page, one detail photo shows the push button controller; but the box in the photo shows the dial. While I have no doubt the push button controller works fine, I would prefer the dial for pure simplicity of use and infinite temp control.

Does anyone know if there is indeed the option of getting the dial controller? The only ones I have seen specifically mention a dial are some ebay kits, and they make out like its a custom kit they put together.

Once I find this out I'll be ready to buy my grips. It would be nice if I have them before this weekend's ride. Not to mention its getting cold in the mornings.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Does anyone know if there is indeed the option of getting the dial controller?
One of our work FJR's have just had a new controller fitted,dial type, not too different from the 1100 dial type, I believe it was a Yamaha OEM part for their grip kit, maybe someone on here will be able to direct you to a source of the part/price etc.

I feel bad promoting a Yamaha part but given the choice at fitting I would have taken the rotational dial type instead of the standard 1300 grip controller.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Maybe the Oxfords and this controller is the gold standard... http://www.warmnsafe.com/handgrip-heat-trollers/
One of our work FJR's have just had a new controller fitted,dial type, not too different from the 1100 dial type, I believe it was a Yamaha OEM part for their grip kit, maybe someone on here will be able to direct you to a source of the part/price etc.

I feel bad promoting a Yamaha part but given the choice at fitting I would have taken the rotational dial type instead of the standard 1300 grip controller.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe the Oxfords and this controller is the gold standard... http://www.warmnsafe.com/handgrip-heat-trollers/

I found this after a quick search of the internet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldwing-GL1800-Pair-of-Heated-Grips-with-Controller-/110678515525?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c4f41f45

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX600F-1998-2004-Heated-Grips-Adjustable-Temperature-Control-/180738656827?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a14dd0a3b

The bottom line for me is the type of controller, when I buy a new bike the grips will be controlled by the rotational dial type and not any push button setup.

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Why can't they make gloves with thin palms?
Try the Held Steve gloves. The palm side is made of thin Kangaroo hide. Strong stuff but because it is thin, it allows great feel, feedback and flexibility. I've worn them for years and am on my second pair.

It's almost jarring when you first put on the Steves because it feels so natural on the palm side. After having worn "normal" gloves it will feel almost as if there is no leather between the palm of your hand and the bar grips. They are also VERY comfortable on long rides. I can remember other gloves that I've owned in the past that weren't all that great for all day riding due to stitches being in just the wrong place, etc. When I get ready to replace my current Steves, I'll go with them again.

Bike
ST 1300A
Try the Held Steve gloves. The palm side is made of thin Kangaroo hide. Strong stuff but because it is thin, it allows great feel, feedback and flexibility. I've worn them for years and am on my second pair.

It's almost jarring when you first put on the Steves because it feels so natural on the palm side. After having worn "normal" gloves it will feel almost as if there is no leather between the palm of your hand and the bar grips. They are also VERY comfortable on long rides. I can remember other gloves that I've owned in the past that weren't all that great for all day riding due to stitches being in just the wrong place, etc. When I get ready to replace my current Steves, I'll go with them again.
And just where would one find these great gloves????

Bike
2006 ST1300
Working on installing the Oxford grips I got Friday. I think the hardest part of the job was removing the Honda heated grips...man were those things glued on! I don't know why the right grip used to slowly spin...it sure seemed very solid when I had to cut it off!

My set came with the push-button switch panel. I wish it had a dial, but I can live with this for now. A dial might be an upgrade in the future. And as I suspected, I'll be making my own bracket for the switch. Their bracket would interfere with my RAM mount for my GPS, and also puts the switch too far away from the grip. I'm going to make a bracket to move it closer to the left grip and angle it where it will be more convenient. I might take the time to design the bracket to hold a switch or two, possibly used to power aux. lighting.

I only managed to get the old grips off and test the new grips before dinner, so I'll finish up the install tomorrow.

Edit: The grips are on. I won't be mounting the switch until I can get to work and make up a new bracket. Their bracket won't work at all since I have a Ram mount on my clutch perch. I'll make up my own bracket that will mount on the clutch perch bolts and position the switch where I want it.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I went with the Oxford heated grips too after reading the posts. I was able to get the old grips off by loosening them with a thin flat blade screwdriver before working them off. I put on, and took off, the new grips a couple of times to determine my working time before I set them with the super glue. The heat feels nice... I would like to compare them with a good set of heated gloves. My friend has both grips, and heated gloves, and swears by the gloves. I guess the grips will be better served on cool fall mornings and the gloves on cold winter days.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Apex- I used to be a snowmobiler. We would ride down to -20f, including late at night. We never used heated gloves, just heated grips and they always warmed our hands. I use a pair of Ski-Doo brand snowmobile gloves on the colder days because they are thick and well insulated with a nice long cuff to go over the jacket sleeve; but the palms are thinner so the grip heat will pass through, and the gloves aren't bulky feeling.

Oxford grip review after using them a few weeks- The controller has to go. It is as clumsy to use as the Honda one. Its unlit when off, and when on only has a small LED showing the heat setting, but no light to be able to see the buttons. The LED can only be seen if the switch is positioned just right, and not at an angle. The buttons are too small to be able to feel them with gloves on, so there really should be some kind of illumination for the switch pad.

Grips- These specifically are listed as fitting an ST1300, but they are almost 1/4" narrower than the Honda grips, so there is a gap between the grips and the bar end weights. This makes them feel narrow, and to compound that, the grips have a fairly large ridge at the end of the grips, making them feel even narrower. With my large hands I felt cramped when wearing gloves. I ended up carefully cutting the ridge down to the diameter of the grips so I have more room. They are comfortable when using them now.

Function- They work very well. Other than the clumsy switch pad, they are great. They get very warm- on most cool days I only put them on the 2nd to lowest setting. I have only used High when first warming up the grips (they warm pretty quickly) and for a few brief spells on very cold nights. Out of 4 positions, I usually use #2 or #3. They seem to warm very evenly between the left and right grips. This is one reason I decided to go with these over the heating elements you can buy to use with other grips- these have insulation between the heating element and the bar. With my KLR I used two different brands of grip heaters (element pad style) and with both, the right one would work very well, and the left much less efficiently, because the right side is against the plastic throttle, and the left is directly on the metal bar which acts as a heat sink. I tried wrapping the left bar to insulate it which only improved it a little. But the Oxford grips are great, and are very even.

In looking at the different models, I think I would need the ones designed for the Gold Wing to eliminate the gap. I am also planning to upgrade to a rotary switch at some point to eliminate the clumsy switch panel.

Top Bottom