Oxford heated grips

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought a set of Oxford sport bike grips for my 2010 ST. The right hand side (throttle) grip looks like the ID is too large. Did you experience this with your installation?
Thanks

Bike
Supere Tenere
I just installed the Oxford Sport grips on my ST1100. I was impressed at how complete the kit was and how well they work. I put up a few photos and will post below as an embedded slideshow. One thing I liked was the way the power lead wires into the grips are encased in a rubber housing. I think these will be more durable than the wires that were going to the heating strips I had there previously. I also liked the newer grip heating controller and the supplied mount. I painted the mount flat black before installing it on the bike. Everything is tidy and out of the way but the controls are right there where I can see them.

I got mine via eBay for about $65 shipped. There are a bunch there. Just search for "oxford heated sport grips"

Hmmm... can't seem to get to just a text editor so I can embed the slideshow. Here's a link to the album.

IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
You pointed out something I was very impressed with- its a very complete kit with high quality wiring & switch. While pushing the buttons on the grip can be a bit awkward, especially after dark since they aren't lighted, the actual quality is very high.

Compare the $65-$80 price for these to paying $30-$40 for the strips that go under the grips, at least $10 for grips (these are integrated into the grips), and more money to replace the cheesy non-waterproof switch the cheap grip heaters come with, and its a no brainer for me.

I went with the Oxford grips too this time. I had the wraps and BMW grips on my previous bike. The Oxfords are good quallity and are very warm. I got model OF691Z Touring. I did read that they are shorter than the OEM grips. I was just suprised at the gap. Really tough to look at. I did end up finding some rubber grommets to fill the space for now. In hindsight, I probably should have got model OF690Z Adventure. These can likely be trimmed to fit better. I connected mine to the Quartet harness. Some pics below, including the sizes for the 3 models.
002 (500x375).jpg003 (500x375).jpg004 (500x375).jpg005 (500x375).jpg007 (500x375).jpg008 (500x375).jpg011 (500x375).jpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
On a previous ST I installed Hot Grips- http://hotgrips.com/. They worked fantastically and were extremely hot- and I hated them! They were made of material that was extremely hard. My hands would actually hurt after riding for a while- something I have never experienced with any other grip on any other bike and still do not experience with the OEM grips. For this reason I will never buy them again. I was looking at Oxford but was concerned about this same issue as I have no experience with Oxford. I was leaning toward the heated strips/BMW grips combo because everyone says that the BMW grips are very comforatable. What is your opinion of these grips? Are they very hard or do they provide some cushioning? Are they conforatable?

Thanks.

Andrew, I do prefer the BMW grips. The Oxfords are not bad though. They have a larger diameter than OEM and have some cushion. Almost the same diameter as the bar end weights. The switch was what sold me on the Oxfords. Very nice and a clean install except for the length. The Oxfords do seem to get warmer than the wraps, it is hard to tell though. I will run these for awhile to see how they hold up. For a factory looking install though, the BMW grips/wraps are the way to go. I hope this helps. Don.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A set of Grip Buddies or Grip Puppies might help. I'm looking at Oxford grips and plan to put the Grab On grip covers over them.

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
I needed Grip Puppies with the oem non- heated grips but found the Oxford's enough larger in diameter that I don't them.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Of all the bikes I have had I have never had any issues at all with the OEM grips on any of them. My previous ST was the first bike that I installed heated grips on (HotGrips) and they were really hard and uncomforatable. I just want to be sure that the Oxfords won't land me in the same boat.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
I've installed the Oxford Adventure heated grips on my st1100 and they for perfectly, only had to take off a little on the throttle side so it would turn freely. No ugly looking gap between the grips and the bar end weight.

Nice! I've been very much debating if I should get actually heated grips or some heated gloves... They got some really discounted gloves for sale I saw...
http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-gloves.htm

Mainly the thing I want to avoid is the installation of the grips. I feel that would be the biggest gripe for me. I don't mind paying more for heated gloves either... especially if they have the battery pack so I can just jump right off my bike.

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
The grips i got were the sport bike heated grips by oxford...Fit perfectly without having to do any trimming.

The only down side is that the led indicator light on the pad is not very bright, and the sticker is coming off of the pad.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Contact Oxford or the seller about the pad. The same thing happened to my ex wife, and they sent her a new sticker. I had a button rubber come apart and they sent me a new switch assembly.

Agreed about the lights. I wish they were brighter, and I also with there was some kind of light so the buttons were visible at night.

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
It's been about 2years since I bought and installed the grips on my bike. three of the four led lights stopped working on the controller, so I went to a local Honda dealership to see if they stocked/sold them.
They had to call Oxford to see if they could get one ordered and after a week and half of waiting the Honda shop received one from them to replace mine under warranty. Not only did I not have to pay for the new one but it is an upgraded version of the old one i had. The leds are brighter, there is one more heat setting and it is more energy efficient.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
It's been about 2years since I bought and installed the grips on my bike. three of the four led lights stopped working on the controller, so I went to a local Honda dealership to see if they stocked/sold them.
They had to call Oxford to see if they could get one ordered and after a week and half of waiting the Honda shop received one from them to replace mine under warranty. Not only did I not have to pay for the new one but it is an upgraded version of the old one i had. The leds are brighter, there is one more heat setting and it is more energy efficient.
Wow! Good news.

(Oops I see my controller is broken now. ;-) )

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Now that is putting the "WOW" into customer service!!

Bike
2003 GL1800A
Hello Pikester,
Does this help ???

The grips i got were the sport bike heated grips by oxford...Fit perfectly without having to do any trimming.

The only down side is that the led indicator light on the pad is not very bright, and the sticker is coming off of the pad.

Top Bottom