Gloves Favorite winter gloves

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
No I don't have heated grips. I debated and researched about pros/cons of heated grips vs. heated gloves and for the temps I ride in during the cold months I decided on the gloves. I knew I would need some kind of electrical assistance to keep warm, even if I kept the Hippo Hands. I chose the more expensive gloves since everything I read convinced me the one weakness of heated grips (without the HH) is the wind would still chill the backsides of my hands based on the many reviews I read on the difference. I know there are many riders who are fine with the grips and have no issues with the chill wind on the backs of their hands but I knew I would be riding in much colder temps than to trust that I wouldn't be the one with sweaty palms on one side and frozen on the other. The Gerbings work great for what I need. A friend referred them to wearing toasters on my hands. OK, at least I am very warm at any temp I've ridden in so far.

Bike
Dl 1000, ST1100
Wear a pair of thin nylon gloves inside of leather gloves with thinsilate. Generally good until the mid 30's. Add some knock-off Hippo Hands from RMATV which work down into the teens. Carry some "Hot Hands ?" type tabs just in case, but haven't had to break them out yet. Have to have a serious case of cabin fever to ride in single digits. :mcrider:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi sorry for the time to reply, for some reason my useless Android Tablet will not post replies to this site, so I have had to wait until I got back to the good old Microsoft computer. We don't get the really cold weather that you get in the States, but I have worn the gloves in 1 degree C and they have been fine. I figure if they are totally waterproof they are totally windproof. When I am wearing them I rarely need the heated grips. They are the same style as my wife's Dianese gloves (which she finds keep her hands toasty) - ie they have inner and outer cuffs. I think the reason our hands stay warm is because no cold air enters the gloves from around the wrist area. I have had plenty of winter gear that is windproof, but certainly not waterproof. Trust me if I was not 100% happy with them I wouldn't recommend them here.
Thanks for your recommendation Aussieboy. Totally off topic, I like to use google maps sometimes and see where others live. You town looks like a nice green beautiful town. I do have one question. Why are so many of the houses windows shuttered over and closed tight?

Thanks, Raymond

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I like having the heated gloves and the heated grips. Just in case one fails you can still limp by.

Warm-n-safe touring gloves for me, cause they have the hard knuckle protector. Another piece of gear I was wearing when I had my bike slide last year and the did their job stupendously. And actually they are still doing it.

Having the heat in the gloves means the bulkier and better insulated 'winter' gloves can stay at home. The thinner gloves make it easier to manipulate things on the bike and pull out your ID when needed.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Hi Raymond, the shutters are not for crime prevention or anything exciting like that. They are used extensively for climate control. They are insulated and significantly stabilise the temperature inside the house, both summer and winter. You will probably also notice that many of the houses have solar panels for power. We create all the power we need to run the house and then sell of the excess to the power companies. One of the great benefits of having so many hours of sunlight. The Barossa Valley is of course best known as Australia's premier wine and food area (what other reason would you need to live here?). So if you ever find yourself "downunder" please let us know so that we can help you explore the area.
Regards,
Steve

Top Bottom