Gloves Favorite winter gloves

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Looking for a pair of new winter gloves. I don't want heated gloves because I have heated grips. Looking for gauntlet style, wind proof over water proof but water resistant would be nice.
Really liked reviews of the Held Ice Breakers but they are not made any longer and I can't find any for sale online, so what does everyone else like/use? I ride into the single digits but still want ability to use controls on the fly.

Bike
2009 st1300
black ash ba3 gloves. I picked them up for 20 dollars plus 10 for shipping on ebay. Kind of bulky but one broke in quite nice. I use at night riding home from work. Its starting to get colder here in everett wa and during the day to warm. At night just right. try them waterproof and windproof I think you will like. They are made by a canadian company so they know cold and these gloves work great.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Yeah nights here just starting too cool off. I had wanted to ride through the winter but instead will work on the bike and save some money for some riding apparel for next year.
I have heated grips too, but you'll soon notice the tops of your hands getting chilly and, for me, I notice the tip of my thumbs getting cold too. But maybe your gloves are thicker. Mine are pretty light weight leather.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro. Check it out!

Bike
2010 ST1300A
It took many attempts before I finally found a winter glove that was both totally waterproof and warm and still had some feeling. I am really happy to recommend Alpinestar Jet Road Express.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
What temps are those glove good for Aussieboy? I've found goretex to be less then wind proof and therefore cold.

Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Looking for a pair of new winter gloves. I don't want heated gloves because I have heated grips. Looking for gauntlet style, wind proof over water proof but water resistant would be nice.
Really liked reviews of the Held Ice Breakers but they are not made any longer and I can't find any for sale online, so what does everyone else like/use? I ride into the single digits but still want ability to use controls on the fly.
Been using Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves for 6-7 years. Kinda bulky but leather is suptle when broke in. I don't have heated grips but will wear wool glove liners when its really cool. There is a rain cover that stores in the gauntlet and the gauntlet extends and has a cinch cord. I like them.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Held Warm n' Dry gloves work for me. I like that there is very little insulation on the grip side, works better with heated grips, better control feel. For extended rides below freezing I add a thin, tight poly layer.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Carl I just got a set of the original Hippo Hands I will be fitting them to the bike for my ride to FL in a couple of weeks I will let you know how they work out.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm looking for a pair of good, warm winter gloves. The morning sometimes dip below 40d and my hands get chilled to the bone in just a few minutes. Part of the problem is my Helibar Gen. III risers put my hands more directly into the air stream.

Riding in the rain would only occur if I got caught in the rain. And around here it's not that cold when it rains, so the gloves I currently use are pretty much waterproof. I may never get heated grips so I need gloves that are windproof and will keep my arthritis from getting annoyed and my hands from cramping.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
How did you secure them on the ST. Did you mount strom hand guards under them to keep them off the clutch/brake handles?
I made a crossbar out of some 1/4 aluminum rod I had. Rod goes right across the clutch line and brake line at the banjo fitting. It run out parallel to the brake clutch levers then bends around like a hand guard would. It continues on around and bends end just aft of the handlegrips. I use plastic ties at the brake clutch line to the rod and just tape the rod to the end of the handlebars.

It took me all of 5 minutes to install them before I left for work this morning. I sometimes take the hippo hands off and leave the rod in place.

Works great! I rode to work in normal leather summer gauntlet gloves and had to turn the grip heaters off after about 10 minutes.

Raymond

Attachments

Bike
2005 Concours
Here's what I did....cheap. A good friend told me to take some surgical gloves...put them on, then put my gloves on over them. It would keep my hands dry, and therefore warm.

I did one better. I took some of my wife's flimsy yellow gloves, that she uses for cleaning toilet, floors, etc., and stuffed my mid-weather gautlets INSIDE those gloves. I road all the way home from Theodosia Mo. (OzarkSTOC), in the rain. Sometimes it was a deluge and had to seek shelter. Other times it was just rain. I pulled my Frog-Toggs over the gloves. My hands NEVER got wet or cold. It was a miserable ride home, but we made it.

I would recommend taking extras, cause they are very flimsy and prone to tear. It took two attempts, stuffing gloves in, before I got them in without tearing.

Well, worth the costs, and don't take up space.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I was checking out the winter elk skin gauntlet style gloves from Aerostitch. Those look really good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro. Check it out!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tried Hippo Hands one time, the first time I rode at -5*F temps and my hands froze. I was wearing my TM Polar Tech gloves also which are usually good on that bike down to near 20*F so it was definitely too cold for the gloves alone. Just my experience. After that I installed my Gerbings and have had warm hands since... all the way down below -15*F so far. The only exception was when the after market coiled cable I used with them failed at zero*F so I went back to the Gerbing cable that came with the controller. Above 32*F I am way too warm with the Gerbings and the TM Polar Tech gloves are fine all the way up to about 55*F. So in winter months I stick with the TM Polar Tech gloves for temps above 32*F and the Gerbings for temps below 32*F.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I tried Hippo Hands one time, the first time I rode at -5*F temps and my hands froze. I was wearing my TM Polar Tech gloves also which are usually good on that bike down to near 20*F so it was definitely too cold for the gloves alone. Just my experience. After that I installed my Gerbings and have had warm hands since... all the way down below -15*F so far. The only exception was when the after market coiled cable I used with them failed at zero*F so I went back to the Gerbing cable that came with the controller. Above 32*F I am way too warm with the Gerbings and the TM Polar Tech gloves are fine all the way up to about 55*F. So in winter months I stick with the TM Polar Tech gloves for temps above 32*F and the Gerbings for temps below 32*F.
I'm guessing you don't have heated grips. I've ridden in temps down to -7 with heated grips, the covers and thin insulated gloves. Summer gloves work down to 0.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
What temps are those glove good for Aussieboy? I've found goretex to be less then wind proof and therefore cold.
Hi sorry for the time to reply, for some reason my useless Android Tablet will not post replies to this site, so I have had to wait until I got back to the good old Microsoft computer. We don't get the really cold weather that you get in the States, but I have worn the gloves in 1 degree C and they have been fine. I figure if they are totally waterproof they are totally windproof. When I am wearing them I rarely need the heated grips. They are the same style as my wife's Dianese gloves (which she finds keep her hands toasty) - ie they have inner and outer cuffs. I think the reason our hands stay warm is because no cold air enters the gloves from around the wrist area. I have had plenty of winter gear that is windproof, but certainly not waterproof. Trust me if I was not 100% happy with them I wouldn't recommend them here.

Top Bottom