gear selection indicator

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Here's a slick little DIY project for you. LINKY I've got one hooked up to my ST and it works great. Ping me if you've got any questions.

John

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Dump that new fangled Honda and buy a 1979 GS850 Suzuki. Suzie has automatic cancelling signals and gear position indicator. That new fangled fuel injection is just a passing fad so you won't be able to buy parts in a few years.;):D

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
This one is quality. I have it and the Speedo Healer that corrects the error in the speedometer. If you have the funds, do them both at the same time as they piggy back to each other and connect at the same place in the wire loom. As easy to program as just going through the gears on the center stand. You have to tap into one wire in the tail section at the ECU unit.

I had a GS850 and the turn signal cancelling system worked well.

I went through the effort to mount my GIPro inside the dash display. Not hard, but time consuming, like most work on our bikes.

IMG_1104 (Large).JPG

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Hi kevin, Thats the way i want to go. The lnk you sent has only one dealer....In installing the unit inside the cluster how in the world did you open the cluster.....

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Using the service manual will help. Once you get the cluster removed, not hard as you do not have to pull Tupperware.

You have to remove the knob for the head light adjuster from the front and turn it over and remove several screws from the back. Not all, but most. It will then separate and through careful thought and a sharp knife, cut cable slots for the cable to pass through the 2 sections. Taking pictures would have been the smart thing to do, but never said I was smart. It looks factory and is easy to see.

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Hi Kenen is this unit a plug and play ..Not great at the electrical end of things....

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Hi Kenen is this unit a plug and play ..Not great at the electrical end of things....
90% yes. You have to unplug the speed sensor connector which is located behind the right hand lower section of the tupperware then plug the GIpro back into these 2 connectors. If you do the SpeedoHealer at the same time, then follow the sequence of connector order to plug both into the ST harness. It is tough to get at if you do not remove the plastic on the right hand side. You also have to unbolt the evac canister mounting plates to make the access easier. There are 2 connectors in a plastic sleeve protecting the harness. The one for the speed sensor is the opposite of the GIpro. If the GIpro has black connectors then the ST is the white ones. If the GIpro is white, then the ST ones to unplug are black. What I am saying is there are both a white and black set of connectors in that sleeve. Make sure that you follow the spin the wheel test with the bike on to make sure you have disconnected the speed sensor before continuing the install. Do not ask how I know this :).

There is a single wire that you have to "fish" back to the ECU unit in the tail of the bike. Find that color coded wire, use the included or other type of splicing block to tap into that wire and the electrical is done. Most of the work is not hard and gets easier the more you do it. Practice makes perfect.

When they talk about male and female, they are referring to the pins and sockets that are in the connectors. First time I did the piggy backing I assumed it was what I would call male or female of the plastic parts. It is the pins in the connector that are considered male.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Feel free to give me a call if you would like to ask me questions that way. I am on the RAN list.

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Okay ill find a dealer and order this unit. Now the speedo fix kit why is it needed...Also sorry for the mispelled name kevin...

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
It is not needed. You should have discovered by now that the stock set up on our beloved ST's are not very accurate. Most are off about 7% over. They show that we are travellong faster than we are actually going. If you use a GPS to show your actual speed then you do not need to do this. I on the other hand like to have my speedometer show my actual speed travelling. The Healer does this by changing the pulses that go to the instrument cluster.

I bought mine through these guys.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Just follow the directions of the GIPro when it tells which order they need to plug back into the ST harness. When they talk about Male end it is the pins that are in the plastic connector that they are calling male. That is about the only problem I had in guessinig what they were calling male.

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Hi kevin, I did the install of the cluster, ILL be doing the rest of the install tomorrow... thanks...

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
It was very easy now i am trying to locate the speed sensor connection....I am at the shop now so if you get this any time soon give me a call thanks ...

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I would first like to say that this forum is a great place. The people are fantastic. Kevin the mod came out perfect....I would like to thank you very much for your help....

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I would first like to say that this forum is a great place. The people are fantastic. Kevin the mod came out perfect....I would like to thank you very much for your help....
Does that mean you have it all wired up and have ran it through the gears? If so, great job to you. Always glad to help.

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Kevin its all done.ready to roll .Tupper wera is all mounted with some additional heat shielding around the the seat area and i rapped the headers..ready to roll

Top Bottom