ABS II Help Needed!!!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
(Also poSTed at MY-MC.COM)

(Previous thread about this problem when it first started.)

Folks, I'm scheduled to start my spring trip next Monday (3/5). On Sunday last, my 01 ABS threw some codes, accompanied by serious timing retard from the TCS. I've had a couple intermittent problems for about six months but it always cleared and lasted only a few miles. This over several thousand miles of travel.

On to the details. Over the course of about 300 miles, the intermittent became less intermittent, then the ABS out completely, including TCS. After setting for a couple hours, it reset on the next start then did it again. When I got home (last 150 miles or so), the TCS Off and ABS 1 and 2 were blinking.

Codes retrieval showe #6 (rear wheel speed sensor) on both stored codes. Removed the rears sensor and cleaned it, also disconnected the 'lectric and cleaned the contacts. Plugged it all back together, cleared the code, and took it for a (fingers crossed) test.

UGH! Now, ABS 1 and 2 are on permanently. :(

Checked the fuses, checked the voltage at the rear speed sensor connector.

Don't understand how clearing the code and the minor tests I've done could have made things WORSE!!

I hope Norm is listening. :D

Anyone? Bueller?

Hate to tear the whole thing apart to get to the parts with less than a week to departure. Also, hate to leave home with those lights glaring at me!

TIA,

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
What does blinking vs. steady on signify with the codes?

If it was progressively worse could be a connector or cable that is failing.
Anything happen with the lights when you fiddle with the cable?
Was there any pattern to the failure, cold weather, hot etc?

Uhmm good luck and there's always electrical tape over the blinky lights LOL.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
What does blinking vs. steady on signify with the codes?
On the ABS I the warning light would only blink when stopped and in neutral. Putting the bike in gear and riding off would dim the ABS warning light and and stop in blinking. Presumably this is to make the light less distracting when underway?

George if the bike is stopped and put in neutral, engine stopped, key on, do the warning lights still stay solid on?

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Gonna try disconnecting the battery and reset all, then try it again.

The details in Chris' third link parallel min exactly, but there's no resolution there.

I'll be back in a few minutes.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
George, George, George....

3 hours is more than a couple of minutes!!!!

We *gotta* know!!!

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Disconnecting and reconnecting the ground side of the bat didn't even kick off the clock. Wazzup'wi'dat?

Disconnected the positive side, let it set about 5, reconnected. Test drive down the driveway and... No Joy. :(

Searching the web for more possibilities turned up nothing. Gonna try the suggestion for the pulse votages in the AM. No enthusiasm just now. :(

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That bites George, if you want to come to Shakopee and swap out some parts to get it pin pointed, you are more that welcome. The 97 is doing me no good, it may as well help you noodle through this snag.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
:confused: Don't recall what your "thing" is, but I live in my own state of confusion so that is nothing new. I even have a bed for you at these digs so you can leave your stuff in the trailer this time. let me know and I will send my new address.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
One of the links Chris sent describes my problem exactly but contains no solution. I'm gonna try to contact the OP, tho the link is a couple years old.

I am often perplexed but seldom defeated, Ed. :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just guessing here, what if you disconnect, clean and reconnect all the main harness plugs? Fixed a rear servo error code that way once on my ABS I.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Hate to pull all the plastic but I guess that's next. Thanks, Jeff.
Yeah, it's a PITA for sure. In my case the error code was appeared immediately after running through a big pot hole, something about a rear modulator circuit problem if I recall. I took all the connectors apart and sprayed everything out with contact cleaner and put it back together. Initially the code was still there but once I cleared it via the procedure in the manual it never reappeared. Gotta think I jostled a marginal connection somewhere hitting that pot hole.

Top Bottom