Helmet obligatory, Yes or No

Bike
ST 1300 ABS,
Hello Everybody

Here in Switzerland we made a bet, that it is allowed to ride without a helmet in some states of the USA, but I don't know exactly where.
Can somebody help me? Thanks and have a nice day.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I don't know about all states but you can ride without a helmet in South Carolina

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

Bike
99 ST1100
Some states do not require helmets. I don't have a complete listing but I know for a fact that Kentucky does not require riders to wear helmets.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I can't vouch for the accuracy; but, here is a page that purports to have all the information:
LINKY

Bike
2006 ST1300
No helmet required in New Hampshire, although I wear one any time the bike is moving.

I enjoy the freedome of knowing that I don't HAVE to wear it; that I'm wearing it out of common sense.

Jim

Bike
99 ST1100
I enjoy the freedome of knowing that I don't HAVE to wear it; that I'm wearing it out of common sense.
It's funny. I road the Ferry across the Mississippi river from Missouri to Hickman, Kentucky and struck up a conversation with the captain who was also a rider. He said he was taking his daughter somehwere on the bike in MIssouri - which Does require helmets - so he had his helmet on. Driving down the interstate a big chunk of a tire flew up and hit him right in his helemted head. "Sure was lucky I had the helmet on that day"

So now do you wear a helmet in Kentucky, even though you don't have to?

"Nah, it was just a freak thing."

Really?!?!?

Not that it matters - or maybe it does - he rode a Harley.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Some states, such as Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire, have no helmet law at all (so anyone can ride without a helmet in those states), whereas other states require helmet use for riders under a certain age and/or passengers.

Here's a link with current info: http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

In Canada, however, motorcycle riders are required to wear an appropriate helmet everywhere.

Hope that helps!

Patty

Edit: Heh...Mark and John beat me to it! :)

Bike
ST1300A 2006
I really don't care if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet....but it should be no different than seat-belts.

It is not that I care that a particular individual might kill themselves (or be killed by another motorist in an accident)....what I'm afraid of is that they "won't kill the themselves" but have serious injuries that they will live with the rest of their lives: that will require the State/Insurance to cover them...and my rates will go up just because one selfish individual likes the feeling of the wind in his hair (note: they could buy a convertible...but they would still have to wear seat-belts!

I think helmets make sense as an individual....but even more so when it comes to "social responsibility." The risks of permanent serious injury are just too great without a helmet, and even as a car driver, I don't want to be the driver in an accident where someone gets killed... just because they didn't have a helmet on (again, totally selfish....but also very negative impacts on social "pooled risk" and future insurance costs). Rant over.... fire away!

OP
OP
s-wiss t-om
Bike
ST 1300 ABS,
Thanks to all of you for these good answers, they came very quick. Is every one of you also such a fast rider on the ST? Yersterdy my ST just gave up the long sleep of this winter and I made a nice ride of 2 hours. But the wether is not the best for the next days and maybe the ST has do be alone in the garage.
That means I have won this bet but anyway I will always ride with a helmet, also on my next trip in the USA in 2 years.

Thomas

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Although the helmet laws vary from state to state the other stickler is eye protection. I cannot find a list for it but some states mandate eye protection..sunglasses, clearlense,...although they do or do not require helmets.....

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I really don't care if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet....but it should be no different than seat-belts.

It is not that I care that a particular individual might kill themselves (or be killed by another motorist in an accident)....what I'm afraid of is that they "won't kill the themselves" but have serious injuries that they will live with the rest of their lives: that will require the State/Insurance to cover them...and my rates will go up just because one selfish individual likes the feeling of the wind in his hair (note: they could buy a convertible...but they would still have to wear seat-belts!

I think helmets make sense as an individual....but even more so when it comes to "social responsibility." The risks of permanent serious injury are just too great without a helmet, and even as a car driver, I don't want to be the driver in an accident where someone gets killed... just because they didn't have a helmet on (again, totally selfish....but also very negative impacts on social "pooled risk" and future insurance costs). Rant over.... fire away!
Nothing to fire away as you are wrong and been proven too many times already

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Thomas,

Glad you won your bet!
I'm also sorry to know your bike must rest up for better weather... ;)

Let us know when you come to tour North America, I'm sure there will be some of us that will schedule a RTE when you ride through.

Mark

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Although the helmet laws vary from state to state the other stickler is eye protection. I cannot find a list for it but some states mandate eye protection..sunglasses, clearlense,...although they do or do not require helmets.....
Well, if you have an iPhone, there's a FREE app for that . . . one stop shop for helmet laws AND eye protection requirements AND helmet speaker laws: www.helmetshop.com

Scroll down the left side to near the bottom and you'll see the app. Once it's on your phone you can dial up any state and see all three requirements.

Shuey

PS: I've bought my last 4 helmets at The Helmet Shop and their prices have been lower than anything I've found online. FYI.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Patty, in NH anyone under 18 must wear a helmet (just like seatbelts).

Karma, I understand the concern about having to pay for someone else's bad choices. But rather than making a law requiring helmets, why not fix the broken problem of requiring others to pay for one person's irresponsible behavior? Allow the freedom of choice (right or wrong), but require that the person making the choice be responsible for their decision?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
But rather than making a law requiring helmets, why not fix the broken problem of requiring others to pay for one person's irresponsible behavior? Allow the freedom of choice (right or wrong), but require that the person making the choice be responsible for their decision?
Jim for president.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
In Minnesota if you are over 18 and on a full license (not permit) you can ride without a helmet.

Personally it is pretty rare for me to be seen without one. There are times that I have run across the street at work to grab something to eat and didn't have one with at the moment. That was mainly because I was out running around our campus and didn't want to run back to my office to run over and grab my helmet and stuff. People at work have given me crap but I just respond that I won't take it out of 1st gear. Of course they don't know the ST will do 58MPH in 1st. We do have to have eye protection and I keep safety rated sunglasses on the bike at all times. I typically have them on even with the helmet. Like I said though it is really, really rare. Maybe once a year.

As for speakers, in Minnesota we can have them. However we can only have one. Not Stereo. Well my defence is I am pretty much deaf in one ear so I can't hear it.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well, if you have an iPhone, there's a FREE app for that . . . one stop shop for helmet laws AND eye protection requirements AND helmet speaker laws: www.helmetshop.com

Scroll down the left side to near the bottom and you'll see the app. Once it's on your phone you can dial up any state and see all three requirements.

Shuey

PS: I've bought my last 4 helmets at The Helmet Shop and their prices have been lower than anything I've found online. FYI.
Cool beans.

Bike
99 ST1100
Top Bottom