colonscopy

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Back in May or June, I was traveling without Carole and I was headed west on Silver and I noticed a bit of a twinge just below my lung cavity. It wasn't a painful thing like 3 broken ribs or a busted scapula, but it got my attention. I thought, probably just gas or a stuck solid. Anyhow, I kept it to myself thinking it would eventually pass. Well, it would subside and pick up again as the days and months flew by. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to Carole I would like to get a colonoscopy done. She being female, immediately went into "oh my God" mode and I had an appointment to see the Main Man for colonoscopies in our little circle of friends. I was the only one of the bunch that had said no until now. So, for 10 of our 15 minutes together, the Doctor and I discussed sports. Then the last five minutes he got down to business and had his administrator schedule me for the procedure. I'm sure most of you who have had this done, know that the prep is by far the worst part of the deal. It is, but is wasn't as hard as I had it made out to be by my little CA Circle of Friends. I took the two tiny stool softeners, and then a couple of hours later, mixed the 4 liters of "the Juice". The directions said to refrigerate it from 1300 to 1800, then drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours. I can't drink cold stuff very well, so I didn't refrigerate it. I was told that "the juice" tasted terrible and I should put some tasty stuff in it. I didn't do that either. At 1755, I couldn't wait any longer and took the first cupful. Definitely tasted worse stuff, it wasn't all that bad. And every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours, I drank 8 ounces of "the juice". The trips to the bathroom started about an hour into this ritual and continued until about 2200. I went to sleep and had no problems during the night. I was allowed coffee as one of my many liquids, so I had my normal 2 cups after I arose at my normal 0400. At 0700, I got to start the remaining 2 liters of "the juice". As I get close to the end of my intake at 0900, I'm thinking, I have to be at the clinic at 1000 and I really spending a lot of time getting rid of this stuff, how the heck am I going to get there without soiling my skivvies??? Carole's in a dither 'cause I'm still sitting on the commode and it's 0910. Well, I made it to the clinic and immediately told the girl at the desk I needed a bathroom. She knew the drill and I was ushered in. The procedure started with a bunch of questions about allergies, meds, etc. No, no, and more no. Then I was hooked up to an IV, injected with benedryl and told I would get sleepy. Things are a bit fuzzy after this part, but I was given something else and told I would get even sleepier. The doctor started the scoping operation and sure enough, where I felt this funny little twinge in my gut, he found a polyp. Now we have the wait to see if it is malignant or benign. The doctor said he didn't think it was bad 'cause we caught it in early stages. Listen to your body friends, it's a lot smarter than you give it credit.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad you got it done Mac, good thing to do. Ah.. no pun intended.

Have never seen Mac "light-headed," but he was until he went to bed last night. He was such a good "boy" about all this. Mr. Stoic had lime jello yesterday, lots of chicken broth, and one lime ice pop (he prefers strawberry)for the whole day before the procedure. Soup was his choice for dinner last night. Guess Phil's for rib dinner will have to wait a while! He was down to his 1997 weight on the day of the colonoscopy...."Wow" was all he said!

He has already taken his two hour walk this morning..and is on the strength recovery road. For a man who didn't want me to mention this to anyone, I am hysterical that he posted the upcoming procedure to thousands, and proud of him for posting this follow-up. I have only one comment to add....listen to your body the moment it starts talking to you...don't make it nag at you for months! AH MEN...you gotta love em! I dearly love this one!

Bike
I do not have a bike
STOC #
I had it done twice. Second time I was out and did not feel the thing. Nice. First time was before they did you under. As curious as I am, I had doctor turn the screen so I can see how I look inside. Gives the whole new meaning to 'Look inside your self' or something like that. LOL ;)
I pray that you have good results

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Good advice Mac, thanks for reminding us! And I'm glad you listened to your body. My prayers uplifted for the outcome. :pray1:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Here's hoping all is well and no problems with the polyp. BTDT earlier this year and came out "clean". REALLY clean!

Simple procedure that most insurance will cover and gives you peace of mind.

Get-r-done folks!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Even though I am well below the average age that this is done, I have also had one done a couple years ago. Everything turned out normal but like mentioned the prep isn't horrible but the actual procedure is nothing which is why the prep really is the worst part of all of it. Not being able to eat and drink all that stuff. I mixed it with lemon aide I think which helped the taste. For me it wasn't that so much as having to simply drink that much of something in general. I never have been one to sit and slam a ton of water or anything. Heck my wife always gives me crap because I normally don't drink anything when taking meds. I just pop the pill and swallow unless it is specified that it has to be taken with fluids.

As for the procedure, I was awake for it and they had the screen there so I could watch but I don't remember watching at all. I kind of remember getting done and they said everything looked good and to come back in 20 years. The only reason I went in was that I was having these instances of abdominal pain. It didn't make sense that it was appendix as it was the wrong side (for most people) and I didn't have the other symptoms usually associated with it. So they opted to take a look erroring on the side of caution. The scope found nothing in my case and the issue went away on its own so in my case no clue what it was. I haven't had the issue in a couple years now. The Dr was a bit shocked when I went in and he saw my age. They probably don't scope too many people in their 30s.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Didn't Booger also get a colonoscopy recently? Oh wait... no, that was something else.. yet somewhat similar. :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Good for you, Mac. Glad you felt you could share the story with us. I've had the procedure done twice and a couple of polyps removed. Priceless peace of mind.

I lost my beloved father-in-law to colon cancer. If only...

Regards, John

Replying by iPhone

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Glad you got it done Mac. I'm due in the next year or two and I don't wanna do it. I hate going to doctors. I'm one of those who thinks if there isn't something wrong before you go in there will be when you come out. I'm probably not going to post about it though. While some men choose to discuss being violated I think I'll keep it to myself.

Booger may not read this thread for a while, he's out shopping for "mantyhose" (Google it) to go with his riding scarf.

Mac, I hope you get the clean bill and you're ready to party in April.

Carole, please pamper my little baby so he gets "aw betto."

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Hey it isn't that bad, all and all. But because they found a polyp you have the pleasure of going ever couple years or so and not the 10 if there is no issue.... Thats kinda crappy....

Bike
2004 ST1300
AS SOMEONE WHO LIVES WITH CROHNS I HAVE IT DONE EVERY TWO YEARS!! I'LL GIVE YOU A HINT ALWAYS ASK FOR THE FIRST ONE OF THE DAY AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO NOT EAT ALL DAY. I THINK THAT'S THE WORST PART

GRAMPS

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks for letting us know Mac. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a good result from the tests.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Glad you didn't wait longer, hopefully everything turns out just fine. I'll share my little story because who would ever read page 2 on this topic.

It was a Friday night before my full workup (I have a digestive thing and the doctor wanted it done, I was 25?). The party had started and everyone was staying over and pretty drunk except me who was drinking "The Juice". Well one friend wrecked his car on the way to my place from work so I figured I had some time to pick him up and get back before it kicked in.

I was wrong.

By the time I reached him an hour up the highway I was red faced looking for a bathroom to which I completely destroyed. Sorry unknown gas station guy. It was all over the parts of the bowl where water doesn't reach. I was worried how I was going to leave this station bathroom, it wouldn't stop coming out! After half an hour of that stuff I felt like I was in some kind of condition to race home and hop back on the pot.

So the obvious lesson here is never leave the safety of home when starting phospho-soda.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
By the time I reached him an hour up the highway I was red faced looking for a bathroom to which I completely destroyed. Sorry unknown gas station guy. It was all over the parts of the bowl where water doesn't reach. I was worried how I was going to leave this station bathroom, it wouldn't stop coming out! After half an hour of that stuff I felt like I was in some kind of condition to race home and hop back on the pot.

So the obvious lesson here is never leave the safety of home when starting phospho-soda.
Sounds like it might be better to be at a fuel station than at home! LOL :D

Top Bottom