Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70-18

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I thought it might be a good idea to make a separate thread dedicated to the BT45 tire that a few of us are running on the front of our bikes. There's a fair amount of confusion about it and I hope to be able to clear up a few things here.

I got started thinking about this tire after talking to a good friend (Jammaman) who has one on the front of his Goldwing. He is getting phenomenal mileage out of it and apparently other Wing riders are too. As with anything, there are mixed reviews about it on the Goldwing forums. Some are using it on their trikes and having good luck. I'm guessing a trike has an increase in front tire load. Possibly that is where the load rating of this BT45 comes as an added benefit.

Here's a few facts about the tire.

1. It is a BIAS-PLY tire. Not a radial.
2. It is intended for use as a REAR tire.
3. It's fitment is for the rear of an '89 Yamaha FZR600 and a '92-98 XJ600S Seca II (there may be others but this is all I found going one line at a time through the Bridgestone fitment guide).
4. It is a directional tread design with an arrow on the sidewall (some have chosen to mount it backward being used as a FRONT tire. No real data to support either method of mounting as better or worse).
5. It is a dual compound tire (the rubber down the middle of the tread is harder than that on either side).
6. The size is 130/70-18. It is 7mm wider and 11mm taller than the OEM Bridgestone 020 120/70-18
7. Tread depth is listed at 9/32" on this BT45 vs. 5/32" on the 020.
8. It is an "H" rated tire - good up to 130 mph. (OEM is "Z" rated - 149 mph)
9. It is load rated at "63" - good for 600lbs. (OEM is "59" - 536lbs.)
10. It is tubeless.
11. Maximum pressure is listed as 41 psi. (I'm running 40 in mine)

Here is the picture of it on my bike:

Here is the BT45 on the left compared to a used OEM 020F on the right:

Here is the label and part number (066257) so you can ask for the right tire if you choose to try it:

I found no installation problems and it doesn't come close to rubbing anywhere on my ST1300. I will note that the deep tread seems to pick up rocks more easily and tends to tumble them between the tire and fender. So far no harm has been done but it makes a hell of a racket when it happens.

Let me be clear (don't I sound like a president? hee hee), this is not a recommended tire for our bikes by Honda. I'm not advocating that you try it. It is an experiment on my part and I have considered the risks involved.

It has cleared up any head shake tendencies I had with both the OEM 020 and Michelin PRII. I feel no wobble at all even during deceleration with my hands off the bars. As you can see from the pictures it has a front tire profile which is unexpected being a REAR tire.

One of my initial concerns was that if this tire can last 20-25,000 miles would it be grippy enough to allow aggressive riding. Now that I have found it fits a Yamaha FZR600, I have to believe it is indeed meant for performance. There is another member here trying this tire also who rides much more aggressively than I do. I'm waiting to hear his response on how it handles when pushed at high lean angles.

STOC #
Nice thread, Jeff. I ran these tires front and rear (in the "correct" size fitments) on my Suzuki GS850 and thought they performed very well through all sorts of aggressive riding - I doubt you'll find any grip issues with the tire.

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
I had these BT45's on my old VFR and they were a decent enough tyre, although the rear didn't last as long as I would have hoped. No problems with lean angles though.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Jeff - Which way do you mount it in relation to the direction arrow. I would be willing to put my foot in my mouth and say I would mount it with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. Tire engagement on the rear would have the tire "pushing" on the road. The front has the road "pushing" the tire. Looking from the side of the bike, in this case the left side. The rear rotates CCW and the arrow would point left to right at the bottom of rotation. The tire would have to rotate opposite if it was on the front to have the same directional force on the tire. As you said, it has been mounted both ways and you did such a nice write up, I was interested how YOU did it.

Thanks, Kevin

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Usually the only reason for the direction arrow is for better water passage thru the tire in rain. No difference in the construction of the tire. I'd run it backwards on front but that tread doesn't look all too different either way.

Raymond

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The tires I have put on my scooters were universal tires that can mount front or rear. On the sidewalls were arrows that are reversed depending on which end of the bike they are mounted on. FWIW.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
I have used these tires on the front of my Goldwing trike. They worked well but the tire of choice for the Goldwing trike is the Michelin Activ Pilot mounted backwards rotation. I have 27k on it now and it's about 50% right now. I believe if I were going to go this route on the ST1300 it would likely be the Michelin Pilot Activ. I think you would get some serious mileage out of it.

OP
OP
Dinkie Diesel

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Kevin - I mounted mine as per the arrow, the same as if it were mounted on the rear.

Ray - I happen to believe you are right with regard to tread pattern being the deciding factor over construction of the carcass.

W7 - Thanks for the additional info. I like Michelin tires above all others. If the opportunity presents itself I may look into the Pilot Activ.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Thanks for the writeup- well done!

I'm a bit perplexed by this common fascination with uber mileage on the STO pages. Tires are vastly cheaper than plastics, skin or body parts, so my desire is primarily for (descending order)- excellent stickiness (by a factor- not just marginally), nice ride, road hazard resistance and then mileage. It just seems to me of little consequence (on an $18k bike) if I get 4k instead of 10k miles, but enjoy the benefit, confidence and reliability of an excellent gripping tire.

Am I missing something here? Maybe I'm simply riding in a vastly different style...I do love strafing me some twisty, canyon roads!

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for the writeup- well done!

I'm a bit perplexed by this common fascination with uber mileage on the STO pages. Tires are vastly cheaper than plastics, skin or body parts, so my desire is primarily for (descending order)- excellent stickiness (by a factor- not just marginally), nice ride, road hazard resistance and then mileage. It just seems to me of little consequence (on an $18k bike) if I get 4k instead of 10k miles, but enjoy the benefit, confidence and reliability of an excellent gripping tire.

Am I missing something here? Maybe I'm simply riding in a vastly different style...I do love strafing me some twisty, canyon roads!
If I had to change my tires every 4.000 miles last year I would have done 9 tire changes. I think that's the main point for most of us. How many sets did you wear out last year?

There were 5 site members reporting many more miles than myself, some by double or triple my amount. One member had over 100,000. Do the math on getting a tire change essentially every 2 weeks in a year.

Yes I believe the riding choice is the difference between you and others. Some of us do the "touring" side of the motorcycle riding way more than the twisty canyon road thing. Hence our search for a tire that will last more than a "week long trip".

Raymond

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
Thanks for the input Jeff. I installed a BT45 on Big Butt before I left for CA. I was initially worried a little about the tire because with the high mileage that usually means hard rubber with a a loss. But with your information about the tire having dual compound, it put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Great write up Jeff!

I kind of fall into the middle of it. I'm planning lots of miles this year, plus living in Florida, most of it is "flatlanding". However, when I DO get into twisty roads, I ride fairly aggressively, so I'm still not positive if I'd like the change to the car tire and rear on the front.

I've seen enough video and heard enough testimony that I'm not against it for safety reasons, I'm just not sure I want the different feel in the handling.

I need to choose soon though. I'm to the wear bars now, with a Daytona trip this week. They'll be gone by the time I get home. I need something new before riding to Arizona next month.

OP
OP
Dinkie Diesel

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Busa, I would venture to guess that your view point is more widely accepted here than that from the few of us looking for ultimate mileage. If I was a weekend warrior looking to unwind from a hard week at work and set out to push the limits on my favorite back road I would be more interested in something with grip vs longevity. For me, I get doggone angry thinking that I only ride 15,000 miles a year most of which is accrued doing 500-1000 mile trips each way. 4 or 5 events 1000 miles away from my house and I need a new tire??? That's ridiculous, especially at $180 ea. I can afford it but it doesn't make horse sense to me. And then there's always that last trip on the tire when I worry if I'll even make it before the cords start showing. Do I make the choice to replace it when there still some miles left on it, contributing to even greater costs and waste?

I'm looking for that "balance" for my application. Something that won't be dangerous for my conservative riding style and yet lasts long enough to satisfy my expectations for longevity. I should note that I didn't post the blurb about this tire as a sales pitch for others to follow suit so much as an informative post for those already looking for another option. In case you didn't already know I have consumed a jigger or two of the Car Tire Kool-Aid as well. :D It is also safe to say I wouldn't be experimenting in this manner on a GSX1300R.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I'm just not sure I want the different feel in the handling.

That is a valid concern Bill, but what I noticed is the "different" feel became "normal" as quickly as it did when putting on a new MC tire of say, a different brand. New tires feel "different' to me. I will never forget the real amazement I felt the first time I ever put on a new front tire on the 1100 after riding it a while. Night and day difference. I am not saying it is NO big deal, but I found it to be a small thing once the "new/different" feel became common.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Thanks for the reply. Certainly I understand more miles=more tires (true regardless of riding style). Sounds like we simply ride very differently- the sides of my tires (some 400,000 miles) are done long before the center tread. On a 850 pound motorcycle, the ability to avoid is going to work better than brakes in many circumstances- my hope is that rider skills in avoiding will match the tire's ability to do so.

If I had to change my tires every 4.000 miles last year I would have done 9 tire changes. I think that's the main point for most of us. How many sets did you wear out last year?

There were 5 site members reporting many more miles than myself, some by double or triple my amount. One member had over 100,000. Do the math on getting a tire change essentially every 2 weeks in a year.

Yes I believe the riding choice is the difference between you and others. Some of us do the "touring" side of the motorcycle riding way more than the twisty canyon road thing. Hence our search for a tire that will last more than a "week long trip".

Raymond

Bike
2012 ST1300A
No further argument from me- thanks for the comment. I find the consequence of a too hard tire letting go as unacceptable risk. Certainly we all make our own risk/benefit decisions- I'm just floating the notion to consider the consequence of such hard rubber- a balanced view (as said) is indicative of such a decision. Where we each fall on that curve is a personal choice of course.

Busa, I would venture to guess that your view point is more widely accepted here than that from the few of us looking for ultimate mileage. If I was a weekend warrior looking to unwind from a hard week at work and set out to push the limits on my favorite back road I would be more interested in something with grip vs longevity. For me, I get doggone angry thinking that I only ride 15,000 miles a year most of which is accrued doing 500-1000 mile trips each way. 4 or 5 events 1000 miles away from my house and I need a new tire??? That's ridiculous, especially at $180 ea. I can afford it but it doesn't make horse sense to me. And then there's always that last trip on the tire when I worry if I'll even make it before the cords start showing. Do I make the choice to replace it when there still some miles left on it, contributing to even greater costs and waste?

I'm looking for that "balance" for my application. Something that won't be dangerous for my conservative riding style and yet lasts long enough to satisfy my expectations for longevity. I should note that I didn't post the blurb about this tire as a sales pitch for others to follow suit so much as an informative post for those already looking for another option. In case you didn't already know I have consumed a jigger or two of the Car Tire Kool-Aid as well. :D It is also safe to say I wouldn't be experimenting in this manner on a GSX1300R.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Jeff, how is the BT45 doing? Handling?

I thought my Metzeler was still pretty fresh, and would hold out for my Moonshine trip. After doing 500 miles this weekend (after pulling the bike out of the basement Friday) I noticed there was more wear than I expected (about half worn). I looked in my records, and found I already have around 4500 miles on that tire. With over 3 weeks left until my departure, I'll easily do 2k miles between commuting and weekend rides. Add in the 4800+ miles of my Moonshine ride, and there is no way this tire will hold up.

Someone posted that they worried about other things than tire life. That is great if its convenient for them. For me, I hate pulling off a 1/2 or 3/4 worn tire because it won't make a week-long trip I have planned.

OP
OP
Dinkie Diesel

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Jim, your dilemma with taking off a partially worn tire is really hard for me to do. I can't tell you why. The more tires I wear out (I don't wear out that many compared to some guys) the more this problem rears it's head. Maybe having my own tire changer would solve this. :D

I only have ~4,000 miles on my BT45 so I can't give you too much info about it. So far I like it. I like the fact that I don't have a case of the wobbly forks anymore. It rides as good as any other. It isn't jittery on the slab with rain grooves. I am confident it will give me some crazy long mileage. It's quiet. I just don't know how it will do when pushed or in the rain although I have ridden on wet streets a little.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
For me, I hate pulling off a 1/2 or 3/4 worn tire because it won't make a week-long trip I have planned.
You are still going to have to replace a partially worn tire. The only difference will be how many miles on the tire. If you are doing a 5k mile trip and that great lasting tire has an estimated 4k left, you are going to pull it off so you do not have to do tire change on the trip.

Having my own tire changing set up, it is only time for me, no $$$$. I too will be pulling tires off before my week long trip in May. That is the way things are working out. Part of motorcycle life.

Kevin

Top Bottom