Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70-18

Bike
2006 ST1300
O.K., I'm getting close to ordering a front tire (going double dark), and just need to settle on which one to get. I'm looking for performance as well as life, so I'm up in the air between two that were mentioned in this thread- the Michelin Pilot Activ; and the BT45. Obviously I want good tire life; but I don't want a tire that is so hard I can't corner aggressively. On this trip I'll be doing the Dragon and other fun roads, so cornering grip is a must; although I won't be pushing as hard as some do on these roads (need to avoid any performance awards). I'll also be doing 4k+ miles of slab.

Any thoughts from those who know both of these tires?

Bike
2006 ST1300
BT45 was ordered from Two Brothers Friday, should be here in a couple days. I look forward to mounting it and trying it during my trip.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Got my BT45 mounted this morning and tested it when I ran to town for parts for my newly-wired tank bag. So far I like it. I noticed one thing I want to check with others on- has anyone noticed a very slight vibe at around 26-29mph? I can feel it in the bars. It almost feels like the type of vibe a knocking engine would make, but the engine is fine- no noise. Its speed dependent (happens at the same speed no matter what gear I'm in or the RPMs of the engine). Its not a bothersome vibe- most likely from the tread pattern of the tire- but I just want to weed out any other possibilities.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Got my BT45 mounted this morning and tested it when I ran to town for parts for my newly-wired tank bag. So far I like it. I noticed one thing I want to check with others on- has anyone noticed a very slight vibe at around 26-29mph? I can feel it in the bars. It almost feels like the type of vibe a knocking engine would make, but the engine is fine- no noise. Its speed dependent (happens at the same speed no matter what gear I'm in or the RPMs of the engine). Its not a bothersome vibe- most likely from the tread pattern of the tire- but I just want to weed out any other possibilities.
Mine is smooth at all speeds Jim, I am using the Dynabeads in the front tire.

Bike
2006 ST1300
This definitely isn't a balance issue, its at a much higher speed than what the tire is turning. It wasn't there at higher speeds, and balance issues usually show up between 45-65 mph. It also went away when I was on a dirt road, so it changed with road surfaces- which points to a tread design vibe. It wasn't there before changing the tire. Like I said, its not bothersome in any way- I just want to reinforce my opinion that its tread related, and not something else I need to look into.

OP
OP
Dinkie Diesel

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Jim, I can feel something on my bike too. I'm sure it is tires but I don't know if it is the front or the rear. It is at slower speed but once again I don't remember what speed exactly. The tread on both of mine are fairly aggressive in that the sipes are pretty wide. As sensitive as we are on two wheels, I'm not surprised if we can feel that. All I can recommend is something you already know, keep an eye/feel on it and see if anything develops. I expect you'll get used to it but there is such a thing as defects.

I go double dark on a Honda PC800. Copied the Goldwinger's and run a BT45(120/80H-17) mounted backwards on the front. Got 21,695 miles out of the 1st one. Probably could have safely gotten another 1 or 2K. The Dunlop that it replaced was good for 10K max. The BFG TA radial that I run on the rear was good for 25,532 miles. There are a few issues with my '95 PC800. Seriously thinking about moving up to a ST1300. Won't own a bike that I can't go dark on. What a smooth ride!!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
3k miles on the bt45 with no visible wear. Did the Dragon yesterday, need new peg feelers, double dark sure worked!

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Hopefully this comes as good news to non abs ST1100 owners https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgestone/rear-battlax-bt45h-110-80h-18-blackwall-tire.p540157.prd/540157.sku
I have researched this and asked questions of a few people to the point they may have thought of a few questions about me.
I was very fixed on the same tire Jeff used and Mark has one in the wings to use for his next tire. In looking for something I could fit other than OE, I found one that fits my front rim but it's meant for a rear tire? If someone can spot something I'm missing let me know. I believe I've found a 9/32 tread depth option that isn't 5" wide. Mod

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
Dinkie, my BT currently is at + 24,000 miles...and still appears as new. I will take tread depth measurements tomorrow and pass them along....I have nothing but good to report on the tire and will without a doubt exceed + 30,000 miles before reaching the wear bars...I am not the most agressive rider by any measurement. Although, on my GL 1800 along with my weight, type of loads I pack onto the bike and my ever present camo campchair.....LOL, the performance and wear are simply remarkable.

Doug / JammaMan

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have around 11k on my bt45 now and still love it. Except for some very minor cupping starting on the sides, most likely from a combination of our rough roads and very aggressive riding locally, it barely looks used. I can't say enough about this tire! If I double what I have now I'll be happy...and I have no doubt it will go further than that. If I rode on real roads instead of rough cowpaths, I have no doubt this tire would see 25-30k miles.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Moddy, I ran a 110/80/18 rear tire on the front of STick one time. Ordered by mistake but ran it anyway. Never a problem for me... I believe it was a Dunlop bias but that size is pretty common.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just took it out for an RTE last weekend for the first twisty ride for me and the tire and perfomed really well. We were scootin along at good pace in the Nashville and Brown County area for ride after we ate.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Moddy, I ran a 110/80/18 rear tire on the front of STick one time. Ordered by mistake but ran it anyway. Never a problem for me... I believe it was a Dunlop bias but that size is pretty common.
Thanks for the work on that. I see the 130/70-18 fits with no other mods, I can mount that one in about the 3 years it will take to cook this one off.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks for the work on that. I see the 130/70-18 fits with no other mods, I can mount that one in about the 3 years it will take to cook this one off.
Is your bike ABS II? If yes, yur okay with the 130/70. If standard or ABS I, the front rim is a .5" narrower, larger than 110/80 not recommended.

Last edited:
Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable! :hat4:

Great info guys! I'll be needing a new pair-o-tars pretty soon too!!

This definitely isn't a balance issue, its at a much higher speed than what the tire is turning. It wasn't there at higher speeds, and balance issues usually show up between 45-65 mph. It also went away when I was on a dirt road, so it changed with road surfaces- which points to a tread design vibe. It wasn't there before changing the tire. Like I said, its not bothersome in any way- I just want to reinforce my opinion that its tread related, and not something else I need to look into.
Jim, I can feel something on my bike too. I'm sure it is tires but I don't know if it is the front or the rear. It is at slower speed but once again I don't remember what speed exactly. The tread on both of mine are fairly aggressive in that the sipes are pretty wide. As sensitive as we are on two wheels, I'm not surprised if we can feel that. All I can recommend is something you already know, keep an eye/feel on it and see if anything develops. I expect you'll get used to it but there is such a thing as defects.
You two need to stop using playing cards against your spokes...they will never sound like harleys!:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom