OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The thing is, if there is wear it will be on both components. That is why I opted for a new stand AND adding a little shim to account for the wear on the tang.
The clevis looks "sprung open" but is wear. It is prolly good you didn't try to hammer it back. Being cast it would likely break before it bent.

Bike
1996 ST1100
I'm with you, Bigmak96. I'm going to tear this bike down this winter for timing belt, valve check, clutch, and a new wiring harness for accessories. I'll add the price of a new stand into the mix. I appreciate your insights.

PS: I bought this bike this April to do some touring around the Midwest. Damn, it's a beast next to my Triumph Bonneville! I just couldn't trust the side stand any longer on anything but a flat surface. any incline to the left side made it very, very tippy.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Mine gets tight every 10k or so. A shot of lithium grease from the spray can and it snaps up again. I have a lot of play in mine when deployed to the ground (bike's weight put on it). The up/down motion needs some lube (metal to metal in there).

FWIW, John
via iPhone from Rice Lake, WI. Ely, MN, tomorrow.

Last edited:

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
One night, riding on the ST1100, on a very dark back road, I swerved just in time to miss a dark animal hulk (it was an Armadillo). Cleared it with the front tire, but it hit very hard under the left side, & knocked off the SS spring. Must have bent some tabs and mounts, as well.
Got the spring reinstalled, to make it work OK, BUT, it NEVER rigged out like original or factory.
It's a tight fit under there, and the SS spring always got clipped by the Center Stand.
So, I just rigged it all the best I could, and made it work.
Lubing both assys. and springs helps alot.

Last edited:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Just lubed my sidestand and did the center stand while I was at it. The sidestand is moving a lot more freely now.

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just lubed my sidestand and did the center stand while I was at it. The sidestand is moving a lot more freely now.
Same here. Much better. I never realized (because of limited time the first attempt) that the front bolt is for the sidestand indicator. So, I took off the entire stand, cleaned it, used grease and reassembled. Way better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom