12V in glovebox not working

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
There is a 12V inside my ST1300 lockable glovebox that ceased to work after I plugged in Aerostich pump to fill my tires. I have checked all the fuses in the fusebox but all appear to be fine. Everything else is running just great. I'm wondering if there is an inline fuse on the 12V behind the glovebox?

Bike came with the 12V already installed so I'm not sure if that is the case. But as these are pretty popular, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this and if so, how do I remove the glovebox to get at it?

Mark

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
If they used the "quad harness" as Honda does to power it, there is a fuse under the left side fairing where the harness connects...believe the left side must come off... the standard fuse for that is only about 2a which is why it popped!

BTW, while your in there and find it, put a small extension on it and bring it up to behind the left mirror so it will be easily changed in the future

v8-7

Site Supporter
The 12v outlet isn't stock.

Possibly power was taken from the left side panel under the seat .

It's the panel opposite side of the battery .

There is another set of fuses there .

If that doesn't help, you may have to pull off the side cowl plastic to access the area .

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
You've blown the in-line fuse in the accessory socket, as seen here:

http://www.accessories4bikes.com/images/12V DC Accessory Socket.jpg

I'm not near the bike, but I think the OEM fuse is only rated at 2.5 amps. I only run my Garmin GPS off this socket. You'll have to pull tupperware to get at the fuse, but I don't remember if it lies closer to the right side, or the left side of the bike, where the quartet harness is located.

I'm sure the much more experienced guys will chime in on this one.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
To muddy the waters, my mechanic installed one for me and wired it right to the battery with an inline fuse so it is right in front of the battery box and easy to get at.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Most dealers connect it to the quartet harness and put the inline fuse under and in front of the left mirror. Don't ask me why, or how I know.

OP
OP
l84toff

l84toff

Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
Most dealers connect it to the quartet harness and put the inline fuse under and in front of the left mirror. Don't ask me why, or how I know.
So you're saying I can try and pull the mirror off and have a look see?

@thumperjdm - that's kind of what I thought.

I have hooked up the other SAE connector that came with the pump to the battery and left it hidden away for future fill ups in an effort to avoid blowing the inline fuse as I'm certain that's what it is.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
So you're saying I can try and pull the mirror off and have a look see?
It's a easy thing to do as the mirror pops off... but if the regular wires were used ( oem type stock ) its prob not long enough which is why I mentioned adding an extension on the wire.

Also . looking up from the bottom at wheel, you should see/feel where the wire goes .

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, that is the easiest aproach. Otherwise you'll have to pull the tuperware off on the left side and trace the harnes back to the location of the in-line fuse. Good luck!!!!

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Yes, that is the easiest aproach. Otherwise you'll have to pull the tuperware off on the left side and trace the harnes back to the location of the in-line fuse. Good luck!!!!
Not enough room to get to it through the mirror. You will almost definately have to pull off the left side fairing.

OP
OP
l84toff

l84toff

Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
Had the mirror nearly off yesterday when I was cleaning the bike so that should be a quick look.

Anything to know about taking off the fairing? Any maintenance I should be looking at once it's off?

Bike
st1300
Try taking off the right side inner fairing first and look up past the right side front fork you may be able to get to the fuse and change it without having to remove the whole right side fairing

Sometimes the plug contains a fuse. And it's hard to find. It more likely that the in line fuse on the feed side of the cig plug/recpt is blown. But since the plug ( or other load side over current protection ) is so easy to check first, it should be checked before taking plastics off

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the same problem, left side fairing off - and the fuse can be replaced. 2 Amp fuse - not really used for anything more than a GPS or Radar detector if needed. If you want to make it useable with other higher power equippment , take the right side off you can "cut the wires" and connect it directly to the battery with a 15 Amp inline fuse and now you have a useful always wired plug.

OP
OP
l84toff

l84toff

Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I had the same problem, left side fairing off - and the fuse can be replaced. 2 Amp fuse - not really used for anything more than a GPS or Radar detector if needed. If you want to make it useable with other higher power equippment , take the right side off you can "cut the wires" and connect it directly to the battery with a 15 Amp inline fuse and now you have a useful always wired plug.

Thanks. It was indeed the fuse which I replaced. I have to open her up again in a bit as the heat controller melted when it fell and touched the exhaust, so I'll need to replace the controller or get a new heated grip package.

As for more power, I already put in a line directly to the battery, it was one of the many attachments that came with the Aerostich pump.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
No - I run phone charger, GPS and radar through mine with no problems.

Air pumps are questionable and real cigar lighters are a no-no.

Top Bottom