Ebay tire changer, anybody used one before?

Bike
FJR & FZ1 & DRZ
Thats just about the same thing as the old Harbor Freight setup. Ive been using the HF setup for 4+ years now, works great.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks interesting... a bit sturdier looking than the HF and w/some protection on the clamps and added storage features for the bar.

Can't really see the bar very well, would like to see some more pics of that.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Having to pay upwards of $50 per tire for mount/demount I think it is a wise decision to have one at home. NO MAR/CYCLE HILL is proven however paying $465+ is something I am debating.

And having a tire changer, I can tag team with Byron.:)

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm done paying $72.11 to have a tire changed. I hope someone chimes in on this unit, because I need to buy something.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Got a 'modified' HF (with the MOJO setup and some other mods) so the EBAY one looks pretty similiar. The key is being able to bolt it down to something solid as there's a lot of 'motion' when you putting on/off a rear tire for an ST. ;-) Just did a set of ST1300 tires and the front on Wee Strom Saturday. When I get my workshop finished, I'll probably go for a nice NoMar and sell my HF setup. I like the NoMar because you break the bead up on the stand, not down on the floor like the Cycle Hill, HF or the one on EBay. One nice thing about having your own unit is you can afford to put lightly used take-offs back on. When I head out on a long trip I always put on new tires, so I have take-offs in various stages of wear laying around. I would be a little concerned about the EBAY one only going out to 16 1/2".

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Hmm. I didn't notice that it said it goes out to 16.5". That won't work too well with the ST Rims. You need to go out to 18".

If that is the case the HF version that I posted a link to would be the way to go. It is about the same price and will take the ST wheels without any issues.

I agree that you need a solid mount. Mine is anchored to the floor in my shop.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I am going to give this a try. Already ordered it. It says 16.5, but look at the measurements the bars extend 11" on two and 12" on the other. It will fit the 1100 rims. I will let you know how it is.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Let us know Dave.. heck, if it doesn't I bet there are a few metal fab guys here that could help extend it further.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
My suggestion is to find a couple other friends that ride and go together on purchasing one of the no-mars or cycle hills. Get the hitch mount and it can be used anywhere you can drive the truck. Each time one of the purchasers uses it they reduce their initial investment cost. If you use it to help out others let them know it was a costly item and donations are accepted but not required. Split all donations with other initial investers. That initial investment will be paid for in no time.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Let us know Dave.. heck, if it doesn't I bet there are a few metal fab guys here that could help extend it further.
Yes, Scubadave already suggested that. With a little cutting and welding could extend it out enough for 18" rims.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
@schlep1967, I have taught about the idea however I don't want to complicate things. I will open it up for anybody to come and use it. Asking for a donation well sure why not.

@ Dave, I would like to hear your product review when you receive the changer. I know I will get one it is just the matter of when.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I don't know if this model will work, but I have seen this type of tool used for car tires. Of course, it was in Ukraine :D, but the concept is valid. The question is, would this be strong enough to do a car tire? :confused:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have used my HF version to pull and patch a tire from the inside on my truck (1/2 ton Chev Avalanche) and a few trailer tires and a tire for my John Deere tractor. The issue with automotive tires is going to be balancing them. The one time I pulled the truck tire, I was patching it as I said and I marked where the valve stem was and put the tire back on in the same position. I can balance a MC tire but not a cage tire. Also I would say that the truck tire was easier to do than the MC tire. It has 17" rims which are not low profile. I think it is a low profile car or truck tire that may be hard to do as they would have a much stiffer sidewall.

I should add that when I did this from my HF changer, I pulled off the MC tire changer and just used the post which is designed to change car/trruck/trailer tires. This design is a little different than the one posted here. You can also get the HF changer from ebay still (discontinued from HF) for the same price as the one discussed in this thread.

Top Bottom