Ebay tire changer, anybody used one before?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I'm looking at this one for $225.00 shipped. Looks like it comes with the CM-4 Mongoose tool also...

http://www.amazon.com/Tire-Changer-Diameter-Adjustable-Clamps/dp/B001989EZE

Anyone ever used one of these for their ST tire swaps?

<D>
That appears to be the same one that is in the first post here on ebay. The thing that was pointed out is that it states it will change tires from 4 -16.5". Well the St has a 18" front rim. Someone above ordered one thinking if it didn't work it could be modified. True but you could get one of these for about the same price.

HF Changer

It is a known good one. I would recommend getting the Mojo blocks for it or making some so it doesn't scratch the rims. The included bar with the setup I have used when doing the above mentioned truck and tractor tires but I would consider something else for the MC tires. I like the MojoLever.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
You're right. Just checked. Well, Jay is local to me so hopefully we can see it in action soon!

<D>

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I received my tire changer last night, so here's what I think so far about it.

1. $199 including shipping, I feel it was a good deal and worth the money! Even though I have not changed a tire yet.

2. Yes, it was made in china...what isn't nowadays.

3. I will definately be ordering the mojolever(was planning on it anyways) $99. The one that come with it is very small.

4. I posted a pic of the outside of the box, They are calling it King Multi tire changer, google it and one on amazon came up, but it was more expensive.

5. Even though I have not tried it with an actual wheel, I measured my wheels, the front rim from center of hub to edge of rim is 9 1/2", the rear is 9". As you will see from pics, the measurements on tire machine is 11" from center of hub to rim holder and the one that is ajustable is 10 1/2" There should be enough room for my rim unless I am doing something wrong, even though it says 16.5" it looks like the st rims will fit, but won't know till I put an ST rim on there.

6. On the two rim holders that have pins, they placed the pins on the back of it, I could drill some holes and it would give me a couple more inches.

7. The bead breaker is adjustable, not sure if you need to, but it is there if you need it.

So if I count the mojo lever, it will end up costing me $298 total, which I will easily pay for it's self after a couple of tire changes this year.

So far, I am happy with the purchase I made!!

Once I do an actual tire change on it, I will post another review.

Oh, one other thing, it did not come with the bolts to mount to the floor, but that is easy to get at local hardware store.

Attachments

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Did yours come with a "Mojo-like-lever"?

The one I linked to a few posts back seems to come with one and appears to be the same changer as yours sold under a different name I guess...

It'll be interesting if any of the center post diameters match up with the IDs of the ST bearings....

When do you see yourself changing tires next?

I received my tire changer last night, so here's what I think so far about it.

1. $199 including shipping, I feel it was a good deal and worth the money! Even though I have not changed a tire yet.

2. Yes, it was made in china...what isn't nowadays.

3. I will definately be ordering the mojolever(was planning on it anyways) $99. The one that come with it is very small.

4. I posted a pic of the outside of the box, They are calling it King Multi tire changer, google it and one on amazon came up, but it was more expensive.

5. Even though I have not tried it with an actual wheel, I measured my wheels, the front rim from center of hub to edge of rim is 9 1/2", the rear is 9". As you will see from pics, the measurements on tire machine is 11" from center of hub to rim holder and the one that is ajustable is 10 1/2" There should be enough room for my rim unless I am doing something wrong, but won't know till I put an ST rim on there.

6. On the two rim holders that have pins, they placed the pins on the back of it, I could drill some holes and it would give me a couple more inches.

7. The bead breaker is adjustable, not sure if you need to, but it is there if you need it.

So if I count the mojo lever, it will end up costing me $298 total, which I will easily pay for it's self after a couple of tire changes this year.

So far, I am happy with the purchase I made!!

Once I do an actual tire change on it, I will post another review.

Oh, one other thing, it did not come with the bolts to mount to the floor, but that is easy to get at local hardware store.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Wow, this might be it then. I can't wait for your actual tire change. Please keep us posted.

The only thing is it will be a few months before I can acquire one of these, duty calls.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
It looks A LOT like the now discontintued Harbor Freight changer, which I've used for changing tires on the ST as well as my dirt bikes (21-inchers, so it will open WIDE). One mounting option to consider is what I did....find a heavy-duty wood pallet (landscape rock stores are good bets) and mount it to that. This way, I can store the changer in the corner, behind my workbench, and drag it out when needed. It isn't taking up a piece of needed pavement in my garage when not in use.

I say 'heavy-duty' because the pallets you find out behind WallyWorld or the grocery are a thin, cheap wood and will snap when you stand on them. But those that carry landscape rocks will hold much more than my 200 lb plus the tire changer. I coated my pallet with a sealant so oils and grease won't degrade the wood over time.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Dave, I'm about to buy a changer and am still trying to decide which one to go with. IS THIS just like the one you got? Have you used yours yet?

I'm just trying to add up total costs so I don't get any surprises. I'll probably go with a Mojolever, pretty steep price for a piece of steel but I don't have equipment to make my own right now.

One question for those who have been watching tie changer prices for a while, are there deals that come up from any of the mfg's? So far I see $300 for the HF knockoff (including Mojolever), $465 for the Cycle Hill (looks like a nice unit), build my own (no time, tools, or place to do it right now), keep using tire levers on the kitchen floor (getting old), or pay $60/wheel locally (forget it).

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Hey Jim, My tire changer works great for the money I spent! I have done about 6 tires already and yeah it might not be the best, but I have no problem changing tires and no more giving the dealership ridicious amounts of money for changing tires. The money I saved has already paid for the changer. I paid $199 including shipping, the co I bought from does not have a listing anymore, but this one is similar ...... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Truck-ATV-Motorcycle-Bike-Tire-Changer-4-16-5-/290753957875?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222001&algo=SIC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=11&meid=1286249372568570012&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=5&

One thing I noticed on the changer you had listed is it does not have plastic rim protectors?? Unless it was in the fine print...too tired to read tonight, but chasing Dave all day through the gaps of Vermont...LOL!!

Yes($199) and $99 for the mojolevr, I ended up just buying wheel weights from him too, since he was sending the lever, I think the weights were $10 more??? I think the Cycle hill is a nice unit, but I didn't have that kind of money to spend, plus they charge shipping too. My changer works good! I am very happy I bought it.

I bought the balancer from HF for ??? $31 with 20% off coupon. It workes good too, takes time to balance using it but it works!! Just be patient!!

Oh...one other thing, don't get fooled by the decription of the one I got, I think it only listed as doing something like 16" rims???? I don't know why they do that cause My rims fit no problem!!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks Dave. I have a feeling the 16.5" side they spec is for automotive wheels, since most of these changers are based on manual auto tire changers with motorcycle adapters on them. I think I'll order the one you linked to. I am in need of a front tire, and I'm tired of kneeling on the kitchen floor to do it...and throwing my back out (which isn't completely healed yet) makes me cringe just thinking about doing it that way. I can't complain though, the BT45 has 22k miles on it...it went on before Moonshine.

It wasn't so bad with just my front tire (I do the rear on an automotive tire machine), but with 2 bikes now, I really need to get set up.

I think after I do the front tire I'll break it in on a ride over by Mad River Glen. I just might find some interesting sights over there.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
If you want....you can always come down here...I know its not close by. The fronts are pretty easy to do, I think the balancing takes longer than the tire change.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I might take you up on that. We were just talking about how this will be the last tire to do this season (hers only have 5k on them), and if I tried yours I would know if I like it or not. I could see if any killer deals come up before next spring.

Any chance you might be around at all next weekend?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
How are you doing them? Shouldn't take very long at all.
It probably doesn't....since I check it, recheck it and check it again and check it again....so, yes, it is probably me!! LOL!! Once I do it a few more times, I will probably get faster at it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It probably doesn't....since I check it, recheck it and check it again and check it again....so, yes, it is probably me!! LOL!! Once I do it a few more times, I will probably get faster at it.
Ah.. okay. I knew a guy years ago that would spin balance his tires.. LOL.. it would take him a long time. I didn't know about it much at the time so I figured he knew what he was doing.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
My problem with balancing is that I step away to do something else and come back to see the tire spinning at about 40MPH. The kids love spinning the wheel when they run through the shop. The bearings in my balancer are so smooth it takes a while for it to stop.

Bike
'04 ST1300
IS THIS just like the one you got?
I bought that one myself, and as someone else pointed out there are no rim protectors, but that's not the only problem. If you look more closely at the clamping/support blocks they are, in fact, tubing mounted vertically unlike the original HF changer which had the tubing mounted horizontally. So in order to use the MojoBlocks or similar rim protector some modification is necessary.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've moved on to a rim clamp automotive tire changer, unfortunately I found out the hard way yesterday that it won't do an 18" motorcycle wheel. I need to fabricate adapters. I could buy them...for around $300 or so. Yea, I'll make them. I need to get some protectors first so I can design my clamps to work with them.

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
. The key is being able to bolt it down to something solid as there's a lot of 'motion' when you putting on/off a rear tire for an ST.
I never had a machine always just did in MANUALLY. But have considered getting one. The two things I think are important and strength/stability and ability to break the bead. Go for it. If you can mount it into concrete all the better.
Ron

Top Bottom