Dunlop Elite 3

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Anybody try this Goldwing front tire on a ST1300?
Dunlop Elite 3 130/70/R18. Radial tire that's a tad wider and hopefully heavier.
Not cheaper so maybe not worth the effort?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm running the Bridgestone equivalent, G709 in 130/80/18. Gets good mileage and handles fine, with car tar or motorcycle tar on the back.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I used the bias Elite 3 bias and got more than 18,000 miles out of it. It was put on by mistake but I made sure to get the radial this time. I have about 5,000 miles on this one. Other brands in the same size may do as well or better but for me the Elite 3 lasts about twice as long as the the stock size tires I have used so for me it is an excellent deal.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I used the bias Elite 3 bias and got more than 18,000 miles out of it. It was put on by mistake but I made sure to get the radial this time. I have about 5,000 miles on this one. Other brands in the same size may do as well or better but for me the Elite 3 lasts about twice as long as the the stock size tires I have used so for me it is an excellent deal.
I bought one and it's here. $154 to my door for the radial. It seams heavier just picking it up than a PR2. We shall see. I have to wear off the PR2 1st.
That's about what I was hoping for 18k or so. Maybe I can get a set to last a year of riding time.
I've not got a PR2 much past about 9-10k.

Bike
05 1300a
Hello ! This tire is the most used by the gl 1200 guys. It is a great tire on a 25yr old wing and I have one on my ltd . I like the feel of the pr3s on a st. There is a lot riding on that front tire.I ride the st different than the gl. I think I would rather give up the milage for grip. If you ride expressway in flat country good tire for you. Thanks joe

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I have tried several different front tires and the Elite 3 works as well as any I have tried in both curves and in rain. I will try a PR2 on the back next time.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I have tried several different front tires and the Elite 3 works as well as any I have tried in both curves and in rain. I will try a PR2 on the back next time.
Not dark side, eh?
I've put a Hankook CT on the rear. Good stuff. This Dunlop front is to pair up with that. I will be very happy if it goes 1 1/2 times the miles as the PR2 front.
I certainly can't be an aggressive using a CT.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
As long as you ride it like most Wings get rode you should be just fine and very safe !!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Gene, are you fishing? Try following 970 Mike thru some mountain switch backs then get back to me 'bout the CT. :D

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
George.... I've followed Gene (him riding both solo & two up) and have a hard time keeping up in the twisties sometimes... he has a Hankook square vortex of doom CT on his 1300. It was following him last summer that convinced me CT was a viable option on my 1100.
You are probably a City folk? Those Maryland guys can fool City folk like you easy. CT's on motorcycles are dangerous. Get with the program.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Well finally got around to putting the Dunlop Elite 3 on the ST13. It rubbed on the fender Extender a tad, so that's gone.
Other than that it seams to work fine. I like it better than the PR2 it replaced. I used to like those but this last one wasn't up to usual standards.
That PR2 tire is pretty shot at a little better than 5000 miles. I could have probably got another 1000-1500 but it was so scalloped and lumpy I was getting tired of it.

OP
OP
DaveST
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've got 7,225 miles on the front Dunlop Elite 3 radial paired with a Hankook CT rear and I'm getting close to the wear bars left of center.
I'm a little bummed. My lowest mileage in years and I'm still wearing out tires. LOL.
I don't think it's going to make 10k miles. Way better wear than the PR2 it replaced but it's not as good as I was hoping and I think I like the stock size PR2 geometry better F and R.
If I had some $$ I would try a set of stock size Mich PR3's but that's probably not in the cards this year.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
When the tires cup, there is a problem somewhere.... balance, air pressure, or suspension problems. If your suspension has lots of miles on it and has not been serviced, it can become ineffective in keeping the wheel planted on the road resulting in sever cupping, or scalloping. It is not likely the rear tire would cause front tire wear and they operate independent of one another. It is true that both effect the handling. You probably have noticed in your lifetime a car with a broken or depleted shock, and that tire dribbling down the road like a basket ball while the others are fine....
The same is true for bikes... the front can get loose and cause that tire to wear. Some tires are better than others at not exacerbating the problem.

I've been using the Elite 3 for a while and am happy with it. The one I'm taking off has 15,944 miles. I do most of my riding two up, touring. I've slowly upped the tire pressure to 47 psi and now have no cupping. This last tire has no wear bars, all the other E-3s have had them. It was purchased last fall and it has the little triangles on the sidewall that is supposed to locate the bar. To double check I stopped at a dealer and neither the tech or the service manager could find wear bars.

Len

Last edited:
Top Bottom