From Black to White

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
A few weeks ago, after selling my beloved CBR600, I contemplated how to spend some of the $$ that came from the sale.

Living in Bakersfield, Ca. (we have the distinct honor of always placing in the top three of the nation's worst pollution--usually at the #1 spot), black vehicles are impossible to keep clean for more than about 38 seconds after a car wash.

Being a completely OCD anal-retentive nut about keeping my motorcycles in showroom condition, my black '06 ST13 and I have always had a love-hate relationship. Keeping it beautiful was no easy task.

So, I decided to change my completely black ST, to a completely white ST. And like the Johnny Cash song, I completed the transformation "One Piece at a Time." O.k., it was really 2-4 pieces at a time, but that wouldn't make for a catchy song title. I bought all new bodywork, so there was no down time with parts (or the whole bike) being gone to a painter. And if I ever have a mishap, I can replace parts and know the factory paint will always match the other pieces.

For quite a few rides, the bike was various combinations of black and white--and all of those combinations had people changing lanes to get out of my way, donning seatbelts and getting off their cell phones.

Now it should be much easier to keep clean, and I'm a fan of white vehicles.

Oh, and I better get a huge Christmas card from Ron Ayers Motorsports this year!! :D

Attachments

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Nice job-Lookin good-know what ya mean about black being hard to keep clean-I have to clean my ST much more that Carole's because of the colors of our Salt-n-Pepper

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
Being a completely OCD anal-retentive nut about keeping my motorcycles in showroom condition, my black '06 ST13 and I have always had a love-hate relationship. Keeping it beautiful was no easy task.

:D
Congrats, the end result looks great.

I had to laugh at your statement, I've got a real good buddy that you must be related to. His bike always looks better than show room condition......like it's ready for a competion. I've got to be the TOTAL opposite in regard to that; I always figured that time cleaning is time that could be spent riding.

Gary

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Very nice. Did you buy authority model OEM white Tupperware, or some other colo(u)r and have them painted?

BTW, Sparking Silver Metallic is the beST colo(u)r for not showing dirt, or fading. :)

Regards, John

Bike
St 1300 2006
Wow I like it a lot!!!! Looks great! Did you buy new saddlebags? What kind of pad is on top of the saddlebag?

Bike
St 1300 2006
Wow I like it a lot!!!! Looks Great!! Did you buy new saddlebags? What pad is on top of the saddlebag?

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Looks nice.

How are you liking the VFR?
Just under a thousand miles, and still learning her. I'm starting to love the paddle shifters, and I'll probably take the bike to the racetrack within the next couple of months. She's got a lot of steam, a ton of stability, and when wound-out, sounds like a MotoGP bike. I'm very happy I purchased the VFR.

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I think.... those are installed on the wrong sides? I think you have the left on the right and visa versa... I think the edges all line up better when you do that. I'm not sure though.
When you read the referenced thread, you'll see Honda intended them to go on the front, bottom of the saddlebags. But I put them on top as kick guards while mounting/dismounting the bike.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When you read the referenced thread, you'll see Honda intended them to go on the front, bottom of the saddlebags. But I put them on top as kick guards while mounting/dismounting the bike.
I understand that part.. I like them better on the painted surface vs the black plastic, I'm talking about just switching sides... It just looks like it would follow the bike lines better but just a guess.

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
It's just a towel under the feet of the center stand, so as to not scratch the concrete. Did I mention I'm OCD? :D
Good Lord man, you most definitely weren't kidding.......I don't think my buddy Keith is that anal. But Keith does put peelable protective plastic on the gas tank where his knees rub and on the rear rack to protect it from bungy cords. I tell Keith all the time there's nothing special about your bike, there's thousands more just like it all over the country. LOL

Gary

Top Bottom