Slippery Seat

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. I have a Corbin leather seat on one of my bikes and the surface is extremely slippery and I keep sliding forward. Does anyone have any ideas ho to treat it, really don't want to put on a sheepskin or Airhawk.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Wear pants made of a different material than you have now. Some pants are better than others on leather. Leather pants work really well.

mbw919

Martin
Bike
'07 ST1300
I wonder if Sno-Seal would help. I've never used it on a leather saddle, but it is good for waterproofing leather and doesn't leave it slippery. It will actually be a bit tacky when first applied.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Velcro.....

Just kidding. I would try sno-seal as well. It don't hurt to treat it with something anyhow as it should keep the leather conditioned. The thing is with snow seal is though that you have to apply it and then put it in the oven to bake it in a little. Shouldn't be a problem with a 1300 saddle but I don't think my 1100 saddle would fit in my oven. I guess a heat gun would work. You don't need a lot of heat. I just turn it on for a bit and then shut it off.

I know it made my Gerbing Gloves really tacky.

You may have to go to Amazon to find it though. I doubt they sell a lot of it in FL but I could be wrong.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I have a Corbin seat and use Farnam's Leather New. It can be found at most all horse supply shops and Tractor Supply stores. Once every month or so I pull the seat and spray this on, rubbing it into the leather.
Leaves it soft and supple, and somewhat grippy. Will not transfer onto clean jeans, even if you do it prior to riding. I've even restored an old cracked saddle that looked like it was ready for the scrap heap.
Made that saddle worthy of selling again. ~~~~> http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?catmain=&mainkey=&pid=100135&key=200011&cat=Leather+Care

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
iirc it's just bee's wax and some kind of solvent to make it spreadable. I hair dryer should melt it enough to let it seep into the leather.
+1 on the hair dryer. I've always used Snow Seal on my motorcycling boots. It doesn't break down the leather the way silicon based products do. The proof? I'm still wearing a pair of Giudici boots my wife bought me over 20 years ago.

OP
OP
737Captain

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Guys, you have come through as always. I'll give it a try, Sno Seal (that is not double sided sticky tape or Velcro.)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
+1 on the hair dryer. I've always used Snow Seal on my motorcycling boots. It doesn't break down the leather the way silicon based products do. The proof? I'm still wearing a pair of Giudici boots my wife bought me over 20 years ago.
+1 on Sno Seal. My Dexter hiking boots have been my winter footwear since 1977. Had to re-sole them but the uppers are as solid as the day the boots were new.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Thanks Guys, you have come through as always. I'll give it a try, Sno Seal (that is not double sided sticky tape or Velcro.)
I want to offer a warning...I have a Corbin seat that is also very slippery. I slide forward, I push myself back; I slide forward, I push myself back. Frustrating, but that's the routine.

I also have a sergeant seat, which has a grippy surface. Now when slide forward, my pants stick to the seat while my legs/butt/crotch slide forward. When I go to push back, I inevitably lift off the seat a bit, so the bunching of pants in my nether region gets worse. The result is a wedgie (front and back). I actually started to get a heat rash the last long trip because of the bunching.

My next step is to somehow lower the back of the seat my diving/losing it into a lower position.

Just wanted to be upfront!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. I have a Corbin leather seat on one of my bikes and the surface is extremely slippery and I keep sliding forward. Does anyone have any ideas ho to treat it, really don't want to put on a sheepskin or Airhawk.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
I have leather Corbins on all three of my bikes. My riding pants are all Cordura or mesh. They all have some degree of slippage. My old VFR with a smooth leather Corbin was by far the worst and most dangerous as under hard acceleration you would slip back violently, especially when the temp outside was under 80 degrees. I nearly lost control a couple of times when riding hard. Solution - a fresh coat of Lexol leather treatment, the kind that comes in the brown bottle. Sold at Tractor Supply. Really good stuff for all of your leather gear, seats, boots and leather car interiors. I carry a small shampoo bottle full of this stuff on all the bikes, just in case I start slipping. A little bit goes a long way.
A guy on the VFR list suggested going to a golf shop and buying some golf club grip dressing that apparently makes it tackey, but I never tried this as I did not want to put it on my expensive seats.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I don't know guys. I'm getting kinda discouraged now. I tested both Farnam's and Sno_Seal and they both worked when I was wearing jeans, but with my 'stich that I'm usually wearing, the seat was hardly much better than before the treatment.

I still need to test Lexol, but I'm worried my Corbin is fated to be too slippery for me.

Jack

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I had thr same issue put the seat adjuster to the middle setting and dont slide now.
The front of the seat in the middle setting and the rear of the seat in the lower setting. Might have to bend the rear metal seat tangs back a bit. Rode my ST for 12 years that way. Worked good lasted a long time.

Top Bottom