Slippery Seat

Bike
2010 ST1300
I thought I had the same problem with my stock seat. I sent it away to Spencer and discussed this with him. He counseled me against changing the seat cover - said you need to be able to move around on the seat easily during a long ride. Now that I have a few thousand miles on the seat, I have to agree with him.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Gave my Corbin a quick clean and a coat of leather conditioner and boy it was a lot better for traction.
I think the leather gets dry and slick. Grease your leather! That's the solution.

T

Bike
2005 ST1300
As for asking Corbin: I wrote to the company to inquire about buying a part I thought was missing from mine (which I bought second-hand.) They declined to discuss selling a part without my presenting the original sales receipt. I'm not thrilled by that response and don't expect much better for a request for free advice.

I may be headed to just being dissatisfied with my Corbin seat.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I don't know guys. I'm getting kinda discouraged now. I tested both Farnam's and Sno_Seal and they both worked when I was wearing jeans, but with my 'stich that I'm usually wearing, the seat was hardly much better than before the treatment.

I still need to test Lexol, but I'm worried my Corbin is fated to be too slippery for me.

Jack
Lexol (brown bottle) will fix this sliding thing on a leather Corbin wearing a Stich, just keep it on the seat. Been doing it for years.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for that advice, John. I'm gonna give Lexol (Conditioner is what I see sold in a brown bottle...) the one-two in the next few days. I'll hold onto some optimism and report my experience.

Jack

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As for asking Corbin: I wrote to the company to inquire about buying a part I thought was missing from mine (which I bought second-hand.) They declined to discuss selling a part without my presenting the original sales receipt. I'm not thrilled by that response and don't expect much better for a request for free advice.
I can understand Corbin not wanting to risk selling a part to someone with a competitor's seat and not their own. Maybe a pic of the seat on your bike with the current day's newspaper would help! LOL Using a good leather cleaner opens up the pores and can bring back some of the texture that reduces the slip n slide.

When I bought a Corbin vinyl seat for my V-65 Sabre years back the last step in manufacture was to spray it with a fine oil and then wipe it down and put it on the bike. I'm not sure what could be done to make vinyl less slick.

I raised the front of my seat to the highest level but there was still some down angle. Crunching the pan I was able to put the back of the front seat down one level. Perfect! Except as Igofar (Larry) showed me this caused the edges of the seat to eat into the ST's plastic side covers. Mine had already started to show some wear so reluctantly I put the back back where it belonged. If I ever get a new seat I'll try to get it shaped so that there's a bit of rise in the front or at least level.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Well, I went to the Tractor Supply in the town where I work and bought a bottle of Lexol Conditioner. I applied it several times, and I'd say I applied it generously.

THAT STUFF WORKS. The seat is now in the Goldilocks state - not to slippery, not too tacky. I can accelerate, brake and turn without slipping in that direction, but the seat doesn't resist my intentional slide for and aft, all in my 'stich.

Lexol has made this seat worth keeping,

THANK YOU!

Jack

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well, I went to the Tractor Supply in the town where I work and bought a bottle of Lexol Conditioner. I applied it several times, and I'd say I applied it generously.

THAT STUFF WORKS. The seat is now in the Goldilocks state - not to slippery, not too tacky. I can accelerate, brake and turn without slipping in that direction, but the seat doesn't resist my intentional slide for and aft, all in my 'stich.

Lexol has made this seat worth keeping,

THANK YOU!

Jack

Nice it will also protect the leather. :butt1:

V0X

I just configured a Corbin smuggler seat with a new side material called "gripper" that was just introduced for bike week. The fellow I spoke with said it really helps with grip. I opted for bomber leather also, versus the standard leather in the seat area, as it's softer and less prone to slipping.

Top Bottom