Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help! Trouble on the road.

Bike
    2003 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Need some help! Trouble on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    AND REMOVE THE GAS FIRST

I have seen a few spills
    I thought that is common sense and understood. Before the fuel pump is removed run the fuel down to one bar on the gauge.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
    RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
    14 FJR1300A(................) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
    08 DR650 The LiST

2. › Site Search for: Need some help! Trouble on the road.
    Bike
    2003 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jodog View Post
    The dealer replaced the air filter recently. Where does this vent line run?
    Lift the top tank you will see it attached to the underside of the tank. Follow the proceedure in your service manual. Easy to do. Takes about 10 min to check the vent line.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2007 ST 1300
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

I read the other threads. When I left the temp was 68. When it started acting badly the temp was about 86. When it lasted only 25 miles the temp was 91. Should I try to replace the fuel filter or do the pump at the same time. I'm betting this is not an item typically in stock.
    Bob (Jodog) 2007 ST 1300
    RIP 2006 ST 1300 now known as "Deerslayer"
    32 Tags moved in 7 states

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jodog View Post
    I read the other threads. When I left the temp was 68. When it started acting badly the temp was about 86. When it lasted only 25 miles the temp was 91. Should I try to replace the fuel filter or do the pump at the same time. I'm betting this is not an item typically in stock.
    Correct, not likely in stock at any dealer...the few pumps in the US seem to be at distribution centers. A couple years ago, you could buy just the fuel pump. But now when you wont a fuel pump, you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly (not just the fuel pump) from Honda unless you go with a pump made for Honda cars (some have done that).

I'll post in a few minutes the hoses you need to look at for kinks Bob.
    John - 2004 ST1300A

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I wonder about a fuel pump... several of us have struggled with it. But you should look for other simpler explanations first. If it is a fuel pump or kinked line, it won't likely strand you but will give you some erratic engine behavior.

Below are the fuel hoses ...they're rearward under the tank. This picture is taken from near the windshield with the upper tank tipped up.

You can see some of these hoses by removing the front seat--inspect them by removing the seat before tipping the tank.

Look for kinked, collapsed, or pinched hoses.

Connection 1 is an air vent between upper and lower tanks.
    Connection 4 is the main fuel feed from the upper tank to the lower tank when fueling the bike.
    Connection 2 is the water/fuel drain from the dirty space under the gas cap, exterior to the filler neck on the tank. (It drains fuel spills or rain water)
    Connection 3 is a scavenger line to the charcoal canister. Make sure it is not full of fuel or you'll vacuum lock the tank.
    Connection A is electrical; it has the fuel level sensor wiring. (Note, I errantly placed the "A" on a hose and not on the wiring. The wiring is actually hidden behind the hose.)

(Anyone, please correct me or add to the info, thanks.)

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Since the dealer just replace the air filter... chances are the hoses are the issue or even the sensor on the back/top of the air box is not plugged in very well. If it's the fuel pump that would not be fun but is a possibility.

My Gallery

Sounds like vapor lock of some kind.
    When you open the cap, or wait, then it works, it sounds like a vapor lock.
    Since the dealer was under the hood (fuel tank), My money is on a pinched or kinked hose
    from when the tank was lowered.
    Hope is this easy for you.
    Good luck.

Ken Zook
    Bike
    05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    I wonder about a fuel pump... several of us have struggled with it. But you should look for other simpler explanations first. If it is a fuel pump or kinked line, it won't likely strand you but will give you some erratic engine behavior.

Below are the fuel hoses ...they're rearward under the tank. This picture is taken from near the windshield with the upper tank tipped up.

You can see some of these hoses by removing the front seat--inspect them by removing the seat before tipping the tank.

Look for kinked, collapsed, or pinched hoses.

Connection 1 is an air vent between upper and lower tanks.
    Connection 4 is the main fuel feed from the upper tank to the lower tank when fueling the bike.
    Connection 2 is the water/fuel drain from the dirty space under the gas cap, exterior to the filler neck on the tank. (It drains fuel spills or rain water)
    Connection 3 is a scavenger line to the charcoal canister. Make sure it is not full of fuel or you'll vacuum lock the tank.
    Connection A is electrical; it has the fuel level sensor wiring. (Note, I errantly placed the "A" on a hose and not on the wiring. The wiring is actually hidden behind the hose.)

(Anyone, please correct me or add to the info, thanks.)
    Number 2 is the vent that goes to the canister on the right side. You could unplug it from the tank and try it.

Bike
    04 ST
    My Gallery

Try riding with the fuel tank cap unlocked and cracked open. If that cures the problem, then virutally certain the vent line is kinked or plugged.
    Rod

Bike
    01 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Kreis Weigel (h2orider) has just mentioned lots of the suspected fuel pressure regulators 'n such have turned out to be fuel pumps. Might check in with him for more details.
    George
    "Live Every Moment,,, Love Every Day,,, Because,,, Before you know it,,, Your Precious Time Slips Away... ---REO Speedwagon, via ACL

Check my albums Picasa

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast