Need some help! Trouble on the road.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I took off today for Indiana. First 350 miles the bike ran fine. Then I started getting a "hiccup" in the bike. At first it seemed to happen mostly around semis so I attributed it to the wind vortex. Later it got worse, more frequent and not around trucks, like a miss, or the bike trying to seize or something. I pulled off the slab in Terre Haute and put fresh fuel in the bike in case I had bought some bad gas. I also dumped in a can of water remover/injector cleaner. Started it up -- Cured! Take off down the road and 40 miles later the same problem is back. I stop, turn off the bike, open the gas cap, put the gas cap back on, turn the bike on -- Cured! Take off, run 25 miles and the problem is back. Turn the bike off and immediately back on -- it doesn't fix it. Turn it off, count to 10, turn it back on -- Cured! So I'm thinking I have crap in the fuel filter. Does anyone agree or does someone have a better diagnosis? Second question, where the heck is the fuel filter and how do I get to it?

Stuck in Indiana.

Bob

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Sounds like you could have a plugged or kinked vent line on the gas tank.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Fuel pump? (Folks here know why I'm bringing this up, tho I know next to nothing about the 1300 fuel system, it's become more common on 1100s in recent days. :D)

Keep us poSTed. Anyone close?

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Sounds like you could have a plugged or kinked vent line on the gas tank.
:plus1:Have you replaced your air filter recently? I know you got to be careful on not kinking the vent line on the upper tank when lowering the tank back down.... It happen to me a while ago...

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The dealer replaced the air filter recently. Where does this vent line run?
Lift the top tank you will see it attached to the underside of the tank. Follow the proceedure in your service manual. Easy to do. Takes about 10 min to check the vent line.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I read the other threads. When I left the temp was 68. When it started acting badly the temp was about 86. When it lasted only 25 miles the temp was 91. Should I try to replace the fuel filter or do the pump at the same time. I'm betting this is not an item typically in stock.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I read the other threads. When I left the temp was 68. When it started acting badly the temp was about 86. When it lasted only 25 miles the temp was 91. Should I try to replace the fuel filter or do the pump at the same time. I'm betting this is not an item typically in stock.
Correct, not likely in stock at any dealer...the few pumps in the US seem to be at distribution centers. A couple years ago, you could buy just the fuel pump. But now when you wont a fuel pump, you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly (not just the fuel pump) from Honda unless you go with a pump made for Honda cars (some have done that).

I'll post in a few minutes the hoses you need to look at for kinks Bob.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I wonder about a fuel pump... several of us have struggled with it. But you should look for other simpler explanations first. If it is a fuel pump or kinked line, it won't likely strand you but will give you some erratic engine behavior.

Below are the fuel hoses ...they're rearward under the tank. This picture is taken from near the windshield with the upper tank tipped up.

You can see some of these hoses by removing the front seat--inspect them by removing the seat before tipping the tank.

Look for kinked, collapsed, or pinched hoses.

Connection 1 is an air vent between upper and lower tanks.
Connection 4 is the main fuel feed from the upper tank to the lower tank when fueling the bike.
Connection 2 is the water/fuel drain from the dirty space under the gas cap, exterior to the filler neck on the tank. (It drains fuel spills or rain water)
Connection 3 is a scavenger line to the charcoal canister. Make sure it is not full of fuel or you'll vacuum lock the tank.
Connection A is electrical; it has the fuel level sensor wiring. (Note, I errantly placed the "A" on a hose and not on the wiring. The wiring is actually hidden behind the hose.)

(Anyone, please correct me or add to the info, thanks.)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Since the dealer just replace the air filter... chances are the hoses are the issue or even the sensor on the back/top of the air box is not plugged in very well. If it's the fuel pump that would not be fun but is a possibility.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sounds like vapor lock of some kind.
When you open the cap, or wait, then it works, it sounds like a vapor lock.
Since the dealer was under the hood (fuel tank), My money is on a pinched or kinked hose
from when the tank was lowered.
Hope is this easy for you.
Good luck.

zooker13

Ken Zook
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I wonder about a fuel pump... several of us have struggled with it. But you should look for other simpler explanations first. If it is a fuel pump or kinked line, it won't likely strand you but will give you some erratic engine behavior.

Below are the fuel hoses ...they're rearward under the tank. This picture is taken from near the windshield with the upper tank tipped up.

You can see some of these hoses by removing the front seat--inspect them by removing the seat before tipping the tank.

Look for kinked, collapsed, or pinched hoses.

Connection 1 is an air vent between upper and lower tanks.
Connection 4 is the main fuel feed from the upper tank to the lower tank when fueling the bike.
Connection 2 is the water/fuel drain from the dirty space under the gas cap, exterior to the filler neck on the tank. (It drains fuel spills or rain water)
Connection 3 is a scavenger line to the charcoal canister. Make sure it is not full of fuel or you'll vacuum lock the tank.
Connection A is electrical; it has the fuel level sensor wiring. (Note, I errantly placed the "A" on a hose and not on the wiring. The wiring is actually hidden behind the hose.)

(Anyone, please correct me or add to the info, thanks.)
Number 2 is the vent that goes to the canister on the right side. You could unplug it from the tank and try it.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Try riding with the fuel tank cap unlocked and cracked open. If that cures the problem, then virutally certain the vent line is kinked or plugged.
Rod

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Kreis Weigel (h2orider) has just mentioned lots of the suspected fuel pressure regulators 'n such have turned out to be fuel pumps. Might check in with him for more details.

Top Bottom