Relay or no relay for switched running lights.

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I have installed a set of Optilux 1450 lights on STella and all the instructions only show you how to wire them thru the harness. I would like to wire them direct to my fuse block with a on off switch. Do i need a relay and what size fuse would you suggest?
The instructions were not much help. Thank you. Peterz.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Found a couple diagrams that might help. I plan on doing something similar when I install my recently purchased Optilux fog and driving lights.

This one has the aux lights come on whenever the switch AND low-beams are on. Aux lights go OFF when high beams go on:

I plan on using basically the same setup, except adding a SPDT (On/Off/On) switch which will allow me to either manually turn on the lights, or allow them to be controlled by the existing high/low circuits. I will duplicate the circuit with one running Fog/low beams and one Driving/High beams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This setup uses the switch ONLY to control the aux lights.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have aux lights that run through a relay they also have a switch but will only power on when the key is on this way I cant forget to turn them off.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Is a relay necessary with low amp LED lights? I am looking at a set of Mondomotos MM10 lights for the connie. Their site says each light draws .8A (1.6A total). With that low draw it appears to me that the switch could handle it without the need for the relay. I plan on running them through my Fuzeblock on the switched side so they will go on off with the bike but can still be turned off by the switch. Thoughts?

http://mondomotos.com/MM10

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
As you have a aux fuse block that turns off with the key a switch to the fuse block should be fine.
A 2 or 5 amp DC rated switch shouldn't have any problem.

Top Bottom