Honda doing away with the ST ??? Make way for the VFR1200T ??

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Is Ray's nickname Blankety? <bada bump> :D

I can understand limiting the models which make it to our shores, but someone is making less than perfect choices, given the number of languishing bikes on the show-room floor. The DN01 comes immediately to mind:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
He does, and loves it. He's a good guy, one can only imagine the various pressures he's under. He buys his crystal ball the same place we do.
Invite him to hang out over here and maybe the V Strom Forums and the Super T forums. While you are at it, invite him to check out Adventure Forums. Enough with the Cruisers, $30,000 Luxo Barges and Crotch Rockets. Sport Touring, Adventure Touring, and Dual Sporting are where it is at. And nobody is questioning his integrity, or personality, just what Honda of America does bring in, or, does not bring in to the country. Such as lack of Honda Line top boxs for the ST1300 and the large Pannier lids for the NT700. Just a couple of examples.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Anyone know what kind of oil filter the new ST will use?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Honda does look at sites like this... That doesn't mean they will come up with what anyone is saying they want. Just look at previous posts where someone has asked 'what do you want on the next ST?' You'll get anything from a $10k lightweight bike to a $30k psuedo-wing. Even amongst ourselves we wouldn't all agree as to what the next ST would be and that's very specific. Throw in the ADV market segment and things get really strange because there are so many levels to that from light-medium-heavy weight bikes..

Let's look at what they are doing that's good.. folks have screamed for Honda to do a true adventure bike for years and so the crosstourer is it.. now, that will please some and not others, some will say why not an 800cc, why not a 600cc.. why this, why that... you can't please everyone.

I feel Honda could base the VFR/ST/ADV and even a Cruiser bike on the 1200 engine even using the same frame in some of those configuration... and cover a large market with many similar parts.

..oh yeah, they also have to deal with the local and world economies .. pretty tough job.

I do find it interesting that Canada is getting a bike the U.S. doesn't get but it could be distribution costs and logistics make more sense and perhaps it's a test market.. who knows? Not me...

Good luck to Honda for even trying something, I don't know if they have a crystal ball but I know the darts I've been using don't work well.. LOL

STOC #
Invite him to hang out over here and maybe the V Strom Forums and the Super T forums. While you are at it, invite him to check out Adventure Forums. Enough with the Cruisers, $30,000 Luxo Barges and Crotch Rockets. Sport Touring, Adventure Touring, and Dual Sporting are where it is at. And nobody is questioning his integrity, or personality, just what Honda of America does bring in, or, does not bring in to the country. Such as lack of Honda Line top boxs for the ST1300 and the large Pannier lids for the NT700. Just a couple of examples.
Honda knows were its at and its not our bikes. Look at the cruising market. Those guys buy bikes quite often just to have the newest one. Meanwhile, we buy a bike and we MIGHT get another when we hit 100k.
Sport Touring is not where its at here, though it may soon be if our gas prices continue to rise up. The Goldwing is their baby here in the states, while Abroad its the ST and the NT.

Just be thankful that we have the internet and can get any parts we need worldwide today.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
These decisions are market research driven, - now more than ever. There's too much on the line to speculate on new model introduction or even a re-vamp for that matter. For example here's a Ray Blank quote on the thinking behind the NC700x "..it's made based on all the research we have on the X and Y generation customer who has a completely different set of values than the traditional standard enthusiast". http://www.sportrider.com/news/146_12010_honda_ray_blank_explains_the_2012_nc700x/index.html#ixzz1rTAdZDcr

This helps explain why Honda often uses the Cdn market to introduce new models - in large part its a function of their marketing program. Our smaller marketplace is easier to get a handle on and essentially offers a very good cross section view of larger marketplaces, and economies in general. We don't have the economic swings as much as other countries - generally speaking. Therefore, companies can get a good read on how well they'll do in other markets without blowing their wad on logistics and marketing.

Many companies from a variety of sectors use Canada - or specific cities within the country to test market new products or services. (London, Ontario where I live is often a test market for one new idea or another).

STOC #
Honda does look at sites like this... That doesn't mean they will come up with what anyone is saying they want. Just look at previous posts where someone has asked 'what do you want on the next ST?' You'll get anything .............................
I do find it interesting that Canada is getting a bike the U.S. doesn't get but it could be distribution costs and logistics make more sense and perhaps it's a test market.. who knows? Not me...

Good luck to Honda for even trying something, I don't know if they have a crystal ball but I know the darts I've been using don't work well.. LOL
I do believe the Canadian Economy is doing better than us. Heck, I'm a tiny little speck of a manufacture and it scares me each time I have to order another run because I am not sure of when I will end up getting stuck with the inventory. I can't imagine what they go through trying to decide these things.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I'd love to know if it's possible to categorize and count the most common thread subjects here. The most common threads on ST-Owners have to be:

1. Oil Filters
  2. Oil type
  3. Tires/Tyres
  4. Helmets
  5. ST Replacement Speculation
  6. EASt broke another farkle

[/Hijack] :p:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Heck, I alway thought I was a pretty average motorcycle type of guy, by looking at the bikes I have and have had. But I guess I guess I am not. But I am 62 now and can not bend around the sport bikes. Too old and weak to hold myself up from laying down on the Cruisers. And not old enough to go to sleep on the Luxo Barges. So where does Honda latest offering fit our type of riding? Look at what a lot of us have gotten for second bikes. V-STroms, Super T's and even throw in a BMW new Sport Tourer. Show me what Honda has NOW that can compete with those. I would like to replace my KLR650 with a smaller, lighter, Dual Sport. But the Honda X?650 is too big and the X?250 Dual sport is too small. What happened to the 350 to 500cc Dual Sports with a reasonable range? I have alway been a Honda guy but I also have a Kawasaki and a Suzuki also in my garage now. Who knows how much longer a Honda will be in there.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Good points, Chuck. The DRZ 400 Suzuki (wish they would do a 450) still looks to me to be the dual purpose of choice. The 700 X looks the part of an adventure bike but I suspect it's gonna be more of a multi-strada than an real adventure bike.

Honda seems to be following instead of leading these days. Some of the technical innovations are interesting but I need'em in a bike I want.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Good points, Chuck. The DRZ 400 Suzuki (wish they would do a 450) still looks to me to be the dual purpose of choice. The 700 X looks the part of an adventure bike but I suspect it's gonna be more of a multistrada than an real adventure bike.

Honda seems to be following instead of leading these days. Some of the technical innovations are interesting but I need em in a bike I want.
I hate to breaK it to everybody , but the NC700X is nothing more than a commuter. Won't do the off road any better than my Wee. Might be able to jump a curb, but not much more. Again, it is built for the European market where gas prices are very high and populations are very close. Don't think it will be very good out west here off pavement. Just look at the tires that are on it. There is a great discussion about it over on the NT Forum. A Swedish member just got one. And he bought it as a commuter bike.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
A test focus group, when asked about the VFR1200T concept design, suggested the bike looks like it was made for cobbler lovers. Amen, build it Honda! :D

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Yes I do, Both on my ST and my NT. The 6607 is just a bit shorter at 2.5 inches long instead of 3 inches
I use the 7317s on my fz1 but have always used oems on the ST and Nighthawk. Maybe I could just use the 6607s on all 3 bikes????

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I use the 7317s on my fz1 but have always used oems on the ST and Nighthawk. Maybe I could just use the 6607s on all 3 bikes????
Trouble is Walmart has done away with the Super Tech brand in my area. They have replace it with Fram 6607's. Fo a buck more. Glad I stocked up. I am not fond of Fram oil filters.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Helllloooo!

Do I get an award for officially hijacking this thread into an oil filter discussion??? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom