Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is more fun really - ST1100 or Old Harley?

STElla - 2001 st1100
    Bike
    2001 ST1100
    My Gallery

Which is more fun really - ST1100 or Old Harley?

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but not entirely.

James May (as in Top Gear) made an interesting point the other day, and it rang true to me. The boys gave him two vehicles to evaluate - a super fast race-ready sub-compact and a dodgy tiny van type vehicle. May hated the fast car - found it too bumpy, loud, low, etc. Wasn't impressed by the ride.

He loved the old van-nish type vehicle. Here's his reasoning: The incapable clunky low powered vehicle could be pushed towards its limits at lower speeds. To get the same thrills from the little super car, he needed to go insanely fast.

I love my ST1100. But I had more fun, on a daily basis, with my 2001 Harley Wide Glide.

May's point - "Life is more fun at the edges".

What say you?

› Site Search for: Which is more fun really - ST1100 or Old Harley?
    Life is Goo

Bike
    ST1100
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Which is more fun really - ST1100 or Old Harley?

The track will work for the edges...

I don't have to push the envelope (or edges) when riding the ST...

If you love your bike, let it go.
    If it comes back, you high sided.....

Bike
    ''03 FJR1300 "Cisco"
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Whatever makes you happy. My ST is more fun to me personally than any HD I've ridden. YMMV
    2008 FZ1 "Fizzy" STOC#7404:
    2003 FJR1300 "Cisco"

"Knights of the Green Shield Stamp and Shout!" - Hackett, Gabriel, Rutherford, Banks & Collins.

Plains Rider
    Bike
    2002 VFR800
    My Gallery

Okay, I've never owned a Harley. However, my old Ninja 250 was in someways more fun as could ride it closer to it's edge than my VFR. My VFR has triple the horsepower, 200 pounds more weight, better tires and suspension, and is capable of much more trouble! However, the Ninja was much more flickable, rev happy (14k redline), and required a lot more technique to ring it out. Having said all that, the VFR meets more of my needs on a daily basis. I do miss being able to do oil changes without pulling a section of the fairing.

Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

Get both, end of story..............

Bike
    06 ST1300
    My Gallery

I scare myself occassionally on the ST as I look into the field or ditch where I would have ended up if the ABS and/or last minute correction hadn't worked. And I find that I constantly have to throttle back to semi legal speeds or risk impoundment of the bike under new draconian law here in British Columbia (the cop makes the judgement on the spot to impound your vehicle for "excessive speed"). On a fast run to Vancouver from the interior on deserted mountain highways, the ST can easily and safely exceed that "excessive speed" interpretation. I obey municipal speed zones to the letter (usually holding up traffic behind). But on deserted open highways, the ST can be an impound liability.

My CJ360 or any one of multiple 400 Hawks of the 1970-80 could be fast when wanted but it wasn't sustainable. Buzzy pegs and bars and +6000 rpm for hours makes sure of that.

So I get it. Having never tried a Harley (as I have never seen the point of them), I do understand the comparo. I have a Suzuki C50 Cruiser and have not had any desire to ride it since I bought the ST. But when I scared myself on the Suzi, I never looked as far into the field or ditch as I do now. So, in a perverse way, riding junk can be fun.

How can anyone ride an ST at legal posted speeds?

Buy a Harley. Then it's easy.
    Last edited by geoqwest; 04-13-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    If the world was flat, would there be corners? Good thing it's fully inflated.

My Gallery

Okay, a 2001 is not an old Harley. A knucklehead is an old Harley.

There is nothing fun about that type of an old Harley unless you have access to some really good tools and a mill.

Sonny said the HA's would be riding ST1100s had the bikes been around earlier. That's your answer right there.
    It wasn't me !

All your base are belong to me 3 of 7's Avatar
    Bike
    1998 ST1100A
    My Gallery

My Shadow Aero is more fun at 100k than the ST is, and my Hayabusa wasn't fun doing anything legal... ( This is why it's now someone else's)
    Having said that, my ST is a lot more fun three towns down the road than the Shadow is... Different tools for different jobs, and moods.

Robert
    STOC #434

Bike
    06 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

In 1969 my first Motorcycle was a ridgid frame Pan Head HD, with 12"over slugs in the wide tubes. The only give up front was the flexing of the tubes. Three speed with reverse tranny, suicide clutch, with a
    Buick turn signal welded on the tranny linkage to shift the dang thing. Talk about a tractor ! Hand made coffin tank, with a tomb stone gas cap. Bayonet welded into the 18" tall pointed sissy bar.
    Spring solo seat and pillion pad topped out the look. Remember....Easy Rider came out that year.

I might have to admit that those years were the most fun I have ever had about riding motorcycles. My friends and I rode the hogs to work rain or shine. Even without front fenders !
    After that one blew up (sheared an oil pump gear) I built a custom Pan Head, complete with girder front end, custom raked frame, Andrews 1st and second gears, and switchable tanks & front wheels.
    I'd love to have that old iron now ! Maybe I'll scan that photo and post it here later. There is no comparison to today's rides. Farm implement technology was lots of fun then, but this is now.
    Thanks for the memory thread !

Bike
    2005 ST1300PA
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

If I actually need to get somewhere or travel a relative distance my ST1300 is great, but for around town don't have to be anywhere riding the 27hp Royal Enfield is much more fun. I don't even try to push it because I know it has no guts. I prefer to just bounce down the road on the spring seat listening to the pop-pop-pop exhaust note from the big single. No bags, no fancy instrumentation, no power; for me, at this point, back to basics is the way to go.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast