Which is more fun really - ST1100 or Old Harley?

Poppy

STElla - 2001 st1100
Bike
2001 ST1100
This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but not entirely.

James May (as in Top Gear) made an interesting point the other day, and it rang true to me. The boys gave him two vehicles to evaluate - a super fast race-ready sub-compact and a dodgy tiny van type vehicle. May hated the fast car - found it too bumpy, loud, low, etc. Wasn't impressed by the ride.

He loved the old van-nish type vehicle. Here's his reasoning: The incapable clunky low powered vehicle could be pushed towards its limits at lower speeds. To get the same thrills from the little super car, he needed to go insanely fast.

I love my ST1100. But I had more fun, on a daily basis, with my 2001 Harley Wide Glide.

May's point - "Life is more fun at the edges".

What say you?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The track will work for the edges...

I don't have to push the envelope (or edges) when riding the ST...

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Whatever makes you happy. My ST is more fun to me personally than any HD I've ridden. YMMV

africord

Plains Rider
Bike
2002 VFR800
Okay, I've never owned a Harley. However, my old Ninja 250 was in someways more fun as could ride it closer to it's edge than my VFR. My VFR has triple the horsepower, 200 pounds more weight, better tires and suspension, and is capable of much more trouble! However, the Ninja was much more flickable, rev happy (14k redline), and required a lot more technique to ring it out. Having said all that, the VFR meets more of my needs on a daily basis. I do miss being able to do oil changes without pulling a section of the fairing.

Bike
06 ST1300
I scare myself occassionally on the ST as I look into the field or ditch where I would have ended up if the ABS and/or last minute correction hadn't worked. And I find that I constantly have to throttle back to semi legal speeds or risk impoundment of the bike under new draconian law here in British Columbia (the cop makes the judgement on the spot to impound your vehicle for "excessive speed"). On a fast run to Vancouver from the interior on deserted mountain highways, the ST can easily and safely exceed that "excessive speed" interpretation. I obey municipal speed zones to the letter (usually holding up traffic behind). But on deserted open highways, the ST can be an impound liability.

My CJ360 or any one of multiple 400 Hawks of the 1970-80 could be fast when wanted but it wasn't sustainable. Buzzy pegs and bars and +6000 rpm for hours makes sure of that.

So I get it. Having never tried a Harley (as I have never seen the point of them), I do understand the comparo. I have a Suzuki C50 Cruiser and have not had any desire to ride it since I bought the ST. But when I scared myself on the Suzi, I never looked as far into the field or ditch as I do now. So, in a perverse way, riding junk can be fun.

How can anyone ride an ST at legal posted speeds?

Buy a Harley. Then it's easy.

Last edited:

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Okay, a 2001 is not an old Harley. A knucklehead is an old Harley.

There is nothing fun about that type of an old Harley unless you have access to some really good tools and a mill.

Sonny said the HA's would be riding ST1100s had the bikes been around earlier. That's your answer right there.

Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
My Shadow Aero is more fun at 100k than the ST is, and my Hayabusa wasn't fun doing anything legal... ( This is why it's now someone else's)
Having said that, my ST is a lot more fun three towns down the road than the Shadow is... Different tools for different jobs, and moods.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
In 1969 my first Motorcycle was a ridgid frame Pan Head HD, with 12"over slugs in the wide tubes. The only give up front was the flexing of the tubes. Three speed with reverse tranny, suicide clutch, with a
Buick turn signal welded on the tranny linkage to shift the dang thing. Talk about a tractor ! Hand made coffin tank, with a tomb stone gas cap. Bayonet welded into the 18" tall pointed sissy bar.
Spring solo seat and pillion pad topped out the look. Remember....Easy Rider came out that year.

I might have to admit that those years were the most fun I have ever had about riding motorcycles. My friends and I rode the hogs to work rain or shine. Even without front fenders !
After that one blew up (sheared an oil pump gear) I built a custom Pan Head, complete with girder front end, custom raked frame, Andrews 1st and second gears, and switchable tanks & front wheels.
I'd love to have that old iron now ! Maybe I'll scan that photo and post it here later. There is no comparison to today's rides. Farm implement technology was lots of fun then, but this is now.
Thanks for the memory thread !

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
If I actually need to get somewhere or travel a relative distance my ST1300 is great, but for around town don't have to be anywhere riding the 27hp Royal Enfield is much more fun. I don't even try to push it because I know it has no guts. I prefer to just bounce down the road on the spring seat listening to the pop-pop-pop exhaust note from the big single. No bags, no fancy instrumentation, no power; for me, at this point, back to basics is the way to go.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
geoqwest posted: "How can anyone ride an ST at legal posted speeds?"

My solution to that and making it fun is to set my electronic cruise control at the maximum "allowable" speed (posted plus 10 km or so) and then ride it through all the corners regardless of "Slow To" signs. Not being able to move that throttle up or down manually adds to the interest.

Try that and see if it adds interest for you also. Another solution is to ride with your 16 year old son and then see how conservative you become.:) Even allowing him to ride pushes my risk taking into the red zone.

Norm

I scare myself occassionally on the ST as I look into the field or ditch where I would have ended up if the ABS and/or last minute correction hadn't worked. And I find that I constantly have to throttle back to semi legal speeds or risk impoundment of the bike under new draconian law here in British Columbia (the cop makes the judgement on the spot to impound your vehicle for "excessive speed"). On a fast run to Vancouver from the interior on deserted mountain highways, the ST can easily and safely exceed that "excessive speed" interpretation. I obey municipal speed zones to the letter (usually holding up traffic behind). But on deserted open highways, the ST can be an impound liability.

My CJ360 or any one of multiple 400 Hawks of the 1970-80 could be fast when wanted but it wasn't sustainable. Buzzy pegs and bars and +6000 rpm for hours makes sure of that.

So I get it. Having never tried a Harley (as I have never seen the point of them), I do understand the comparo. I have a Suzuki C50 Cruiser and have not had any desire to ride it since I bought the ST. But when I scared myself on the Suzi, I never looked as far into the field or ditch as I do now. So, in a perverse way, riding junk can be fun.

How can anyone ride an ST at legal posted speeds?

Buy a Harley. Then it's easy.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm in the "whatever floats your boat" camp. Maggie had 3 (or 4?) Harleys and I rode them all. Still kept coming back to my ST. As usual YMMV.

John

Yeah, when I read "old", I was picturing maybe '50s or before.

As for the question, it depends on what kind of "fun" you're looking for. Long range sport touring, eating up a lot of ground in a hurry on a smooth, quiet, long-legged riding machine? ST hands down, no contest.

Stop light to stop light cruising, low speed bumper-to-bumper, balmy Saturday nights on the strip? Not so much on the ST. It feels out of its element in that situtation, which of course it is. It's like taking a thoroughbred horse out of the barn and just walking him around the yard. I much prefer a (muffled) cruiser for that duty, but not necessarily an HD.

My HD riding experience is admittedly limited, but I spent several days on a rented Road King in Florida one year (mostly cruising, very little touring) and I was not unhappy to give it back when my time was over. It felt heavy and slow, and the vibration and noise (even though it was muffled) was fatiguing in a relatively short time. I owned a couple of big metric cruisers and they were very comfortable in the around town, leisure cruising role, although I wouldn't really have wanted to ride one of them cross country or to AK. A couple of hours on them was plenty, whereas I can stay on the ST all day, day after day, without much of an issue.

OP
OP

Poppy

STElla - 2001 st1100
Bike
2001 ST1100
Interesting comments. I guess the 'old' part of the Harley wasn't really a comment on the age of the bike, as much as it was about the old style bike.

When I do a decent distance on ST-Ella, she definitely wins. I can arrive after a long trip and my poor old back is still is reasonable shape. Did 1100 km in a day a couple of years ago, and I started that trip with my back 'out', and arrived no worse than when I started. That says a lot. But to get a real thrill on the bike, I'm going wicked fast. Someone a while ago described the ST1100/1300 as 'sneaky fast'. That's a great term. And when I was carving twisties on the Cabot Trail right along with two sport bikes - there's nothing else I'd rather have.

But on regular trips around town, there was something about that low end torque and laid back riding position that I really liked. My lower back absolutely hated it, and that's why I no longer have it, but there was a lot of soul there. Felt kind of like a bucking bronco at times - like it would be really easy to get away from you. Similar to when I used to feel with I'd ski a little outside my comfort zone. Pushing the edge of safety - but at lower speeds.

In an ideal world, I'd have a cruiser and ST-Ella, but that would mean an extra shed, insurance, maintenance, new woman ....
The last part being by far the most expensive ;^}

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I like riding around town on my C14... she has the nice low end torque needed, nice comfy seating, easy handling at slow speeds... wick her up on the freeway... carve up he Rockies... best of both worlds.

It's all about discipline... :D

Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
It's nice to have both if you have the room...
I remember doing a clutch on my daughter's old sprint... That thing was a hoot to drive! 100kms felt really fast!

Attachments

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Dual riding personalities????

After being on a C10 for 14 years the ST is still a challenge as she is a handfull. I have come to the conclusion though, that there is a second bike coming to the stable soon.

I've never cared for the sail style seating of the cruisers. Somehow I have decided that feet either belong under you or behind you.

Neighbor and very good friend has a 2000 CBR1100XX though and has from time to time exchanged bikes with me. When I was on the C-10 he'd exchange rides alot less then with the ST and I think I see a ST in his near future. I KNOW I see a liter sportbike in mine....And am looking for a good used Blackbird. (Problem is I want a red one....And that color was only a 1 year run)

Now I know my 50 year old back and wrists are only gonna let me ride a sportbike for a couple of hours a day...So it'll have to be a good one!

I have been a Harley Owner for a long time. When you say Harley, you have to be more specific. There is a world of difference in the ride, and handling between the different models. I have owned the Dyna Super Sport, the Road King, The Electra Glide Classic, and the Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I currently ride a 2011 Road King, with Cruise Control and ABS. I bought the ST1300 (2009) about 5 weeks ago and it is a completely different animal.

Here's my impression of the differences so far: The Harley is a Clydesdale and the ST1300 is a thoroughbred. One is for hauling, and the other is for speed and sport. Both have to be set up correctly for the individual rider's tastes, or both will be poorly judged. You LEAN a Harley to make it turn through a twisty. You THINK about the ST1300 moving gracefully and smoothly through the turn, and it follows your thoughts. The Harley is a SUPERB close quarter drill machine. The ST 1300 is a MAGNIFICENT runner, with nimbleness extraordinaire.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
The only Harley I owned was way back in '64. As for a comparison-I would take my ST1100 over any Harley out there-old or new (MHO). But now the one in my sig below-now that's another story. I had it for a year and I was either going to get a ticket so big they would throw away my license and go directly to jail or end my motorcycle riding forever, including my life. So I traded it in on a used ST1100 and have never looked back. Now on my 3rd ST and don't see any other kind of motorcycle in the future.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Been years since I owned a Harley. I do cuurently own a 1952 Indian. All I can say is it is fun to drive every once in awhile. Those guys back in the day, had to have been TUFF. Technology is a good thing.

Top Bottom