ST1100: question about bar shroud

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
The plastic cover for the bars apparently changed in 1996 model year. I am looking at a 2001 ST1100 and I will be replacing the small riser with a larger riser soon. The present situation has the shroud raised with the bar and a deep pocket to get to the key, which according to the post I saw would make it pre-1996. Is this true?

The bike is Wineberry color, so maybe it's just a replacement shroud. Can anyone tell me what else to look for as an indication of major repairs (i.e. whole pre-1996 front end) or calling a 1994 a 2001?

Corey

OP
OP
adder70
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I can look again at the bike when I go to have it checked out, likely on Wednesday.

I saw in a post about bar risers that pre1996 bikes have a shroud that mounts on the bars, and thus the shroud goes up with the bars, making it so the key is in a hole, so to speak. Meanwhile newer bikes supposedly have a shroud that is mounted to the triple clamp, so you need to cut away the wings to allow a taller bar to fit, but the key stays flush with the shroud.

This bike is listed as a 2001, but the key is in a hole, so according to the post I saw, that would make the fron end pre1996, unless the flip-clip mod moves the shroud with the bars even though the shroud normally stays put.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
The '01 handlebar cover is a two-piece unit. It attaches to the handlebars. If you put risers on the bike, the cover will be above the ignition switch. The thing to do is cut the part that fits around the switch & mount it back with the original clip. I did this to both the STs I have owned. I can send you a pic of the mod if you are interested.

John

OP
OP
adder70
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
That answered the biggest part of my question. Another thread seemed to indicate that the shrouds that mount to the bars were pre-1996. I was worried that I was looking at a bike being sold under some sort of false pretense. I feel much better about it now.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
To confirm the year, the VIN # stamped on the frame would be the "easiest" check. THIS PAGE (on ST-Riders.net) gives the info to decode the VIN.

Pre-96 will have the 28amp oil cooled alternator, unless it's been upgraded. Big visual difference, just have to look up under the left-rear bottom corner of the engine. 28amp is shaped kinda like a cup bolted onto the engine, the 40amp is like a mini automotive unit (air cooled, with vents).

IIRC, the fuse boxes are different between pre and post 96, but you would have to remove the left saddle bag, seat and left side cover to check this.

OP
OP
adder70
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I will check,but I had no reason to doubt the seller until I saw what I thought was a big red flag in the shroud being mounted to the bar and not the triple clamp. I'll take a quick peek at the alternator and check the VIN to the title as well. (I'm not sure if I have ever carefully checked a title VIN to a motorcycle or a car before. I may have been very lucky in my previous purchases!)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I will check,but I had no reason to doubt the seller until I saw what I thought was a big red flag in the shroud being mounted to the bar and not the triple clamp. I'll take a quick peek at the alternator and check the VIN to the title as well. (I'm not sure if I have ever carefully checked a title VIN to a motorcycle or a car before. I may have been very lucky in my previous purchases!)
FWIW, on my '97 the shroud has two screws that attach it to the triple clamp, and two more that attach it to the bars. (and it also has several plastic press in screws that hold the side seams together, but I think that's irrelevant for this discussion) If you left out the two screws that attach to the triple clamp, it would probably still mount reasonably securely with just the screws that attach it to the bars, but I've never tried it.

To determine the year of the bike, have you looked at the sticker on the steering stem housing, it has the model year in big lettering, along with the serial number IIRC. It would be unusual for that to be missing.

Bike
Vstrom 650
The '01 handlebar cover is a two-piece unit. It attaches to the handlebars. If you put risers on the bike, the cover will be above the ignition switch. The thing to do is cut the part that fits around the switch & mount it back with the original clip. I did this to both the STs I have owned. I can send you a pic of the mod if you are interested.

John
Digging up an old thread here,I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the mod if you have any,what I don't understand here is; the 2 bottom screws fasten to the headstock,the other screws just fasten the plastic together, apart from the one in front of the key that screws into that little strap.
If I fit risers and trim the 'ears' of the upper cover where the bars will be touching the cover as it rises, won't the cover just stay exactly where it is now?
I don't really fancy the idea of the key being recessed 30mm.seems to me its easier to just trim a bit of the cover,I'll soon know when I get stuck into it.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Let me see if I can load some old one's I have for my 97. Heli bars installed used the stock cover just modified the top half a tad added some heated plastic and found some mini Honda wing decals to kinda help out;) Brake & throttle cables have been moved since these pic's were shot and some gray foam has been added to some of the openings to make the cover a bit more seemless:D All attachment points are oem exception with two very small counter sunk screws in the front to help stabilize the alignment tabs.

best, Ed

Attachments

Bike
Vstrom 650
Let me see if I can load some old one's I have for my 97. Heli bars installed used the stock cover just modified the top half a tad added some heated plastic and found some mini Honda wing decals to kinda help out Brake & throttle cables have been moved since these pic's were shot and some gray foam has been added to some of the openings to make the cover a bit more seemless All attachment points are oem exception with two very small counter sunk screws in the front to help stabilize the alignment tabs.
Thanks Ed, that's a great help,going to fit them this evening,rising the bars 35mm,I'll upload some pics when I'm finished.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Bar risers fitted and trimmed the upper cover to suit,raised by 35mm. Did around 100 miles today and I notice the difference,well worth doing,pics to follow.

Top Bottom