Thread: A month of mixed emotions

Bike
    2011 Can-Am RTS
    My Gallery

A month of mixed emotions

For the last two years, I have not done much riding on the ST1300. My Mother and my wife's Mother passed away within the year. I had hernia surgery that did not allow bike riding for several months. I retired from full time work this past year, and although I had some extra time, I had a lot of catch up work to do on projects postponed due to working.

I have loved the ST, but it is just a bit too big for me to handle. My wife would love to ride with me, but she was uncomfortable on the open back of the ST, and I was afraid of handling the extra weight/balancing etcetera, so she never did go with me on the bike for the last several years.

I wanted a new start with the ST, and it needed tires for the season if I was going to be trying to do longer trips. I ordered a set of PR3s, and contacted a local dealer to install them (they charged extra because I did not buy from them, but I still saved nearly $100 on the deal.). I went to the dealer with the wife in the cage to deliver the tires and so we could go for lunch while waiting for the install.

The dealer also sells can-am products. You guessed it! I never got to ride even 1 mile on the new tires. My wife and I both loved the Spyder (which we had looked at several times durning the past year), and she said she would love to ride along on the back of the touring model. So...... traded the ST and bought a new Can-Am Spyder RT!

It was time for a change, and the wife and I can now go together. I am more than willing to give up canyon carving to have her along to enjoy the ride. Rode the Spyder home on March 17th. Have a little over 600 miles on it so far, and 500+ of that was with my new pillon partner along!

I will be posting some ST items for sale that I will not need going forward, but will still hang around this site just to enjoy the conversations and the people. Besides, I cannot be without my periodic Gonzo humor fixes, or the banter between the group and our beloved moderators. At least I will not be so worried about "tip overs" on the three wheeler.

› See More: A month of mixed emotions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RT 1.jpg  

Bike
    10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Re: A month of mixed emotions

Whatever it takes to get out on the open road!

Glad to hear you found something the wife will ride with you on! I too like having my wife onboard with me and she does ride, once in a while (once or twice a year...)

Congrats on the new wheels and hope you can get lots of miles out of it!

You really do need to post a "real" picture of yours, you know!

Time for a new Icon?
    Bob - STOC 5901
    2010 ST1300 - 24,000 miles and going strong
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - Commuting Duty (30,000 miles) & #2 Rebuilding/Restoring
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

@ Eilean Donan Castle Firstpeke's Avatar
    Bike
    NT700V
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Great to hear you are getting out with your new pillion and new machine!

I hope you enjoy many, many, many, miles of smiles with your wife and the Spyder!
    All other road users are idiots, ride accordingly.

Bike
    Suzuki Gladius
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Congratulations!! Hope the Spyder brings you miles of smiles and that you both enjoy every moment on it!

Patty
    I'm awake! I'm awake! The answer is 12!

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 ("Spot") - RIP
    2010 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius ("Scarlett")

My Gallery

Oh goody!! Somebody bought a Spyder and can give me a good ride report!! I hope you enjoy it!!
    Sent from my shave ice stand using a discarded beer can.

Black Betty

Bike
    '00 ST1100-P
    My Gallery

Those things look like fun to me!

Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Congrats on your new RTS.
    Jim

Relationship with wife before relationship with bike. Good for you. Spending time with someone special doing something that you both can enjoy is what makes it all worth it.
    Andrew

Bike
    2008 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

You are gonna LOVE that Spider.

I work and ride with a fellow here that has one....We've traded keys on several occasions and they are nothing like you would expect.....COMFORTABLE!!!! FAST!!! It'll take ya 2 rides to get used to it! Forget everything you know about motorcycles though....The Can Am is a different breed.

Did ya get a tow package as my mate did and he's now towing a Camper.

Anyway, enjoy that beautiful machine.....Post a review and hopefully I'll see ya out there!

PICTURES?????????????

+ New Posts