What antifreeze coolant should I use in the ST1300?

Bike
2005 ST1300
Your Temp gauge will always say three bars if all is working fine even at a 130 degrees.....
Exactly. And if the cooling system stops working fine, it'll be because something failed mechanically, not because the heat transfer medium is Evans.

Bike
2005 ST1300
As Bill stated, drain as much out of the system as possible. You’ll want to pull both block drains and when you close it up, use new copper gaskets. I tried to use the old gaskets and they leaked, which cost me extra time. I also pulled the radiator and flushed it with water and blew through it with light compressed air and then left it to bake in the hot sun the rest of the day. However, it is important NOT to flush the block with water, per the manufacturer instructions. Better just to leave it with a residual amount of old coolant then to introduce more water. Button it up and fill with Evans. I bought 2 jugs, but only used 1. Run the engine up to temp with the cap off the radiator and check the level and look for system leaks. Make sure to fill the reservoir bottle on the left side. No need to modify the radiator cap.

MARider

Jan
Site Supporter
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Not to beat a dead horse (though it doesn't hurt the horse), but I would not be afraid to use any modern antifreeze in my ST1300 that meets or exceeds ASTM D4985 Standard Specification for Low Silicate Ethylene Glycol Base Engine Coolant for Heavy Duty Engines Requiring a Pre-Charge of Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA).
The standard budget priced Wallyworld brand Super Tech 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant Pre-Mix states:

• Compatible with any antifreeze/coolant
  • For any vehicle with aluminum and other engine metals
  • Meets or exceeds ASTM D3306 and D4985
That pretty much covers it all for me, unless you want to go for an extended life coolant. And at under $8 per gallon. A hellofalot cheaper than the $24+/gallon Honda Pro Plus premixed coolant. I haven't done an exhaustive check, but I would bet most modern antifreeze mixtures meet this ASTM standard.
FYI: The Honda ST1300 Service Manual Cooling System Specifications Recommended Antifreeze calls for "High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion prohibitors." Nothing special there.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It's an old subject that comes up every spring... just like oils ( and always good to read with popcorn )

IMO, Pick you choice of name brand non-silicate type antifreeze like Prestone or Honda an drain and refill. ( no I never did the side plugs )

Prestone has worked fine for me since 04 and my buddy has 200k on his 1100 using it also without any problems. If you bike is overheating its due more likely to the system having a problem over the antifreeze.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I just put prestone extended life/distilled water in mine this spring. Flushed out old coolant twice. I think it meets the needed requirements. Considered using honda type 2, but the prestone was easier for me to get my hands on. ;)
Been using this combo for 20+ years in three STs and one VFR. Works great.

Top Bottom