7,000 miles on Z6, when do I replace; see pics

Bike
2003 ST1300
I didn't think the Z6 would last as long as it has, but it seems to be in a long midlife stretch of squared off center with decent side tread. It rides and corners well, do I wait to show cord?

Attachments

Bike
GL1800 2015
In the middle pic, when the tips-the ends are worn down...and arn't round any more..
I'm guessing 1 K to 1500 miles...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
On a hot road I suspect the threads will show quickly...
In WA... don't know how long that will be!

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
Jon on the side wall of the tire you should be able to find the letters TWI. This stands for tread wear indicator and if you look into the treads you should be able to see the wear bars.

HTH

T :money1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The classic problem with this tire is the center portion of the tire where there are no TWIs is normally worn out first. The wear bars are set in the outer portion of the sipes and one has to interpolate what is left in the middle when the TWIs indicate plenty of thread left. I have seen several Z6 s go from "looks OK" to cord during the ride. I ran two sets and moved on. No long trips for this particular tire.

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
The classic problem with this tire is the center portion of the tire where there are no TWIs is normally worn out first. The wear bars are set in the outer portion of the sipes and one has to interpolate what is left in the middle when the TWIs indicate plenty of thread left. I have seen several Z6 s go from "looks OK" to cord during the ride. I ran two sets and moved on. No long trips for this particular tire.
I catch your reasoning; my trips are usually 120 miles to Seattle and back. No real risk compared to the time I ran my tires thru nylon cord down to steel cord coming back from Pendleton. I won't do that again, I have a set of Bridgestones waiting for their turn on my rims.

Attachments

Bike
99 ST1100
This is exactly right. I really like the tires for handling but they go from just fine to uh, oh in a hurry.

i will real soon replace my second set after just about 10k, which was the same for my first set. haven't seen cord, but tread is gone in places. my experience has been that the sides wear down before the center. of course, i try my best to stay off the interstates.

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
From the looks I would give them 1k mabey a tad more.
I am getting a solid 8k out of them with cords showing at 82-8300 miles on the rear.
Front I am getting 12k.
This is the same results over 3 sets and looks like the same for my 4th set I am on.

Sean

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
The problem with the Z6 is that its unpredictable. When you get that close on the tire it can show steel in 500 miles. I have had many local riders that left the house "ok" and get 100 miles from home and have steel showing. Just a word of warning. I would not venture to far from home like that.

What happens is when a tire get close to end of life like that one, it will generate more heat because of less rubber on the tire. This will make the tire wear much faster.

Just some info. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom