Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wreck on the Highway

Bike
    2007 ST 1300
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Wreck on the Highway

I was riding down a state two lane today and came upon a wreck. A guy on a Yamaha cruiser was running down the road, not even speeding, and this girl pulls out right in front of him. He locked the bike up, went down on the pavement, skidded 100 feet or more, left the pavement and slid into a ditch probably another 50 feet. He missed the SUV. I came up immediately after the crash, the car that caused the crash was sitting beside the road, no one getting out. Another car coming from the other direction stopped, but didn't help. I rode up and he was standing. I asked him if he was OK, and he said yeah. He was bleeding from both arms, left elbow was torn up, possible broken finger (turning purple and swelling), and his left kidney area was rashed with some deeper gashes. He was shaking, possibly from the adrenaline buzz, also from being smashed into pavement. I was the first responder. I pulled out my med kit and put anti bio on the wounds after washing the gravel out with water, but some topical numbing stuff on, but I had no bandages large enough to cover the arms.

His bike survived relatively well, mirrors, bags, footboards, aux lights, handlebars and windshield are goners, but everything else was pretty much untouched, well, the tank took a major hit. I found his shoe about 100 feet from where he was. I stayed with him until the ambulance arrived, the firetruck arrived, and finally 15 minutes later a state trooper arrived, and his fiance. When I was sure he was ok and that he had a way to get his bike home I took off.

yes he wore a helmet, but it was unscratched as were his face and shoulders. He was a lucky guy. You never think you'll be the one to be a first responder and now I have been. I thank the good lord there were no compound fractures or grey matter on the pavement.
    Bob (Jodog) 2007 ST 1300
    RIP 2006 ST 1300 now known as "Deerslayer"
    32 Tags moved in 7 states

2. › Site Search for: Wreck on the Highway
    Bike
    2006 GL1800
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Wreck on the Highway

You did good! I guess, the most important thing is staying calm while accessing the scene then attending to the injured. Its good the suv stopped, hope she was sited.
    I am not young enough to know everything!

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2007 ST 1300
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    You did good! I guess, the most important thing is staying calm while accessing the scene then attending to the injured. Its good the suv stopped, hope she was sited.
    I think she was incapacitated by her own fear. She was blubbering and shaking like crazy, apparently too disconbobulated to go see if she killed the guy. She called her mommy and daddy to come save her.

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Sounds like a nightmare! He's lucky you were there. Good job!

Multiple PERFORMANCE award winner!

Bike
    2001 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Good thing about having the storage of the ST plenty of room for all the essentials. Goes to show the importance of being prepared. Just curious what two lane state road it was.

I have heard people say you know you crashed pretty hard when your shoes come off.

"You can talk any redneck into a challenge. That's why so many rednecks die in strange ways." -Jase Robertson

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Good job Bob!

At what point did 911 get called?
    John - 2004 ST1300A

Bike
    '03 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Great job! Wish everyone arriving early to an accident scene had the presence of mind you did.

John

"Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are." - Author Unknown

Bike
    2008 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Good job, and quick thinking. Glad to hear that the rider was relatively ok (relative to how it *could* have turned out). On Monday, on the way to work, I had one idiot pull out directly across my path from an intersecting street because he thought that if he "gunned it" he could slip his M-I-N-I-V-A-N through the safety margin space that I was leaving between me and the car in front of me. Fortunately, I was covering the brakes preparing for him to do something stupid and he didn't wind up with my bike in his lap. Then, on the way home, an oncoming car turned left onto the same road that I was turning right onto (I had the green light) and forced me onto the shoulder.

Keep alert out there. The cages will kill you.

--FA

Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Way to go!

It is nice to carry some first aid gear, I think I better start doing that too.
    Larry Jensen

Sandy the Bus

SportTouringGear.com Click Here

Bike
    BMW K1600GT
    My Gallery

Really glad to see you helped out. Lots of folks aren't prepared to do that when it's needed.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast