Wreck on the Highway

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was riding down a state two lane today and came upon a wreck. A guy on a Yamaha cruiser was running down the road, not even speeding, and this girl pulls out right in front of him. He locked the bike up, went down on the pavement, skidded 100 feet or more, left the pavement and slid into a ditch probably another 50 feet. He missed the SUV. I came up immediately after the crash, the car that caused the crash was sitting beside the road, no one getting out. Another car coming from the other direction stopped, but didn't help. I rode up and he was standing. I asked him if he was OK, and he said yeah. He was bleeding from both arms, left elbow was torn up, possible broken finger (turning purple and swelling), and his left kidney area was rashed with some deeper gashes. He was shaking, possibly from the adrenaline buzz, also from being smashed into pavement. I was the first responder. I pulled out my med kit and put anti bio on the wounds after washing the gravel out with water, but some topical numbing stuff on, but I had no bandages large enough to cover the arms.

His bike survived relatively well, mirrors, bags, footboards, aux lights, handlebars and windshield are goners, but everything else was pretty much untouched, well, the tank took a major hit. I found his shoe about 100 feet from where he was. I stayed with him until the ambulance arrived, the firetruck arrived, and finally 15 minutes later a state trooper arrived, and his fiance. When I was sure he was ok and that he had a way to get his bike home I took off.

yes he wore a helmet, but it was unscratched as were his face and shoulders. He was a lucky guy. You never think you'll be the one to be a first responder and now I have been. I thank the good lord there were no compound fractures or grey matter on the pavement.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
You did good! I guess, the most important thing is staying calm while accessing the scene then attending to the injured. Its good the suv stopped, hope she was sited.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
You did good! I guess, the most important thing is staying calm while accessing the scene then attending to the injured. Its good the suv stopped, hope she was sited.
I think she was incapacitated by her own fear. She was blubbering and shaking like crazy, apparently too disconbobulated to go see if she killed the guy. She called her mommy and daddy to come save her.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Sounds like a nightmare! He's lucky you were there. Good job!

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Good thing about having the storage of the ST plenty of room for all the essentials. Goes to show the importance of being prepared. Just curious what two lane state road it was.

I have heard people say you know you crashed pretty hard when your shoes come off.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Great job! Wish everyone arriving early to an accident scene had the presence of mind you did.

John

Bike
2008 ST 1300
Good job, and quick thinking. Glad to hear that the rider was relatively ok (relative to how it *could* have turned out). On Monday, on the way to work, I had one idiot pull out directly across my path from an intersecting street because he thought that if he "gunned it" he could slip his M-I-N-I-V-A-N through the safety margin space that I was leaving between me and the car in front of me. Fortunately, I was covering the brakes preparing for him to do something stupid and he didn't wind up with my bike in his lap. Then, on the way home, an oncoming car turned left onto the same road that I was turning right onto (I had the green light) and forced me onto the shoulder.

Keep alert out there. The cages will kill you.

--FA

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good thing about having the storage of the ST plenty of room for all the essentials. Goes to show the importance of being prepared. Just curious what two lane state road it was.

I have heard people say you know you crashed pretty hard when your shoes come off.
Hwy 58, west of Kingsville, MO. I had a shoe come off in a wreck once. They found it in the windshield (72 chevelle)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Good on ya, Bob. I'm always amazed that some folks don't stop when they obviously witnessed an accident. That rider was thankful, I'm sure, even if he didn't say so. For me, I'd find a little extra comfort in seeing a fellow two-wheeler stop and help.

beta

How soon is now?
STOC #
Thanks for what you did. I can only hope that someone like you would be around if something similar happened to me.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to get my skill level and a rudimentary med kit available for that contingency. Wake up call inbound.

Thanks again.

DAS

STOC #
Way to go! Very good. I have tools, 12 volt air compressor, gummy worms, but no 1st aid. I should work on that. Also, I'm sure you did this but just remember to be careful and secure the scene so you yourself don't get hit.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
More "at-a-boy"s for you Bob!

I too carry a first aid kit. I've been wanting to take some first aid classes (I think local Red Cross does some) but keep putting it off. I need to do that.

Maybe we need a FIRST-AID-STOC?

Putt-Putt

Dave Putnam
Bike
'08 ST1300
STOC #
Good job. I would like to think that most of us would stop in that situation, but how many of us have any first aid equipment. The VERY NEXT FARKEL for me.
That one hits close to home, I ride 58 hwy in that area all the time.

Dave

Bike
ST1100AX '99
STOC #
This fellow rider was really lucky but more lucky to have you stop and help him in a very supportive way.
Hoping the <<driver>> of the suv will learn a lot from this. Is this another case of; I did not see the bike???

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am kind of surprised to hear that not many of us carry first aid. I have the kit on the bike at all times. I used the first aid packing list from the Iron Butt web page as a guide to putting one together. I found that few kits at Walmart had everything needed so I built my own kit. Other pharmacies may have larger kits. It's really not that bulky. I have it all in one of the outside pockets on a saddle bag liner. Heated gear and extra tools are in that liner, so that saddle bag always carries that equipment wherever I go. I've found that you never know when you'll need heated gear or a med kit. Here's the info from IRON BUTT:

Iron Butt First Aid kid:
First aid kits are designed to treat minor abrasions and wounds. It is highly recommended that you carry one during the Iron Butt Rally. In the event of a serious accident, leave medical treatment to professionals. A minimum recommendation for a first aid kit for use on the Iron Butt rally consists of the following items:
1. One pair of disposable protective gloves;
2. A pair of scissors or a knife;
3. Three 2-1/4" square adhesive wound dressings;
4. One 3' x 3' x 4' triangular bandage (you may substitute an old bed sheet);
5. One 22" x 30" sterile dressing;
6. Two 3" x 4" sterile compress dressings (you may substitute two sanitary napkins);
7. One 2-1/2" by 3' combination elastic/adhesive bandage;
8. One roll of first-aid quality adhesive tape;
9. Five small self-adhesive bandages; and
10. A tube of topical antibiotic ointment.
You may choose to build such a kit from scratch. If you wish to purchase a kit, there are two good ones available:
BMW First Aid Kit: At approximately $22 at most BMW dealers, this kit is so nice that we have noticed a tendency for shops to charge above retail price for it. It requires a tube of topical antibiotic ointment to be pass the requirements of the Iron Butt rally.
JFF Enterprises Tour Kit: No modifications to the kit are necessary. It sells for $41.80 plus $4.50 shipping and handling in the continental U.S. This kit is by far one of the best on the market, with first aid items too numerous to list. It is very compact, measuring just 3.5" x 6" x 8". We highly recommend this kit. To order call toll free 800-583-2206 or 512-756-1149. JFF takes Mastercard and Visa credit cards. Please note: you must mention that you are an Iron Butt rally entrant to receive this discounted price. We ask that you also thank them for offering the discount to riders. This is prime riding season and they can be hard to reach, but they will call you back if need be.

Top Bottom