Wreck on the Highway

Bike
2006 ST1300
Glad to hear it all worked out (better than could be expected in some instances) and good for you for stopping to assist. As an ex-EMT, I always carry a first aid kit wherever I go (and one for the dogs on camping trips:)). The Iron Butt kit is a good one. You can also find some very reasonably priced ones at various outdoor stores (Bass Pro, Sierra Trading, ect.) ( for hiking (because they have such a small footprint). Be careful out there guys and gals, ride safe.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you were there to help. When I had my two accidents, people came to my aid and I was greatfull for their help (no first aid help though)

Sounds like he would have been much better off though if he would have been ATGATT! :eek::

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I think she was incapacitated by her own fear. She was blubbering and shaking like crazy, apparently too disconbobulated to go see if she killed the guy. She called her mommy and daddy to come save her.
either that, or she was posting it on facebook, while she was probably texting someone as she pulled out, not paying attention to driving.

Bike
Vstrom 650
No to be sexist about it but here in Ireland I think 80% of women are very bad drivers or are very distracted when driving,it amazes me how they pass the test,saying that alot of men are just as bad though I estimate a lower percentage,I think drivers should be retested every ten years or so.
Well done for coming to aid of a fellow biker,I wonder had he a jacket with elbow and shoulder padding and armoured gloves on?

STOC #
I just moved to the states, and went for a 150 mile ride. I noticed a lack of respect for everyone else on the road, it's clear why such accidents seem to be more frequent. Lots of cell phone use, tailgating, and maneuvers that are risky for very little gain. http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1104.pdf The highest is CA, nearly doubling FL.

As far as First Aid, a compress, or tourniquet can save a life in some instances where bandages will not. Beware of attempting to give emergency aid without training/certification. Moving injured riders can make matters far worse, as spinal injuries are common, and you can be held liable. The best help if they're unconscious, is just to keep them breathing, stop the bleeding. Don't move them or remove/move their helmet.
I was only at one motorcycle accident other than my own. A group of Rice Rockets shot past me around a turn on a Parkway. I come around the next bends to find the traffic slowing and I see the bike on the shoulder. Pulled over to find a girl on the ground. Somehow she left the bike in the left lane after hitting the divider, slide across two lanes of commuter traffic and up onto the shoulder - without getting run over. Her friends were just arriving when I was trying to get her to lay back down. They helped her up and then promptly removed her helmet against my instructions. I can't watch stupid so I left.

JZH

International Bodger
I just moved to the states, and went for a 150 mile ride. I noticed a lack of respect for everyone else on the road, it's clear why such accidents seem to be more frequent. Lots of cell phone use, tailgating, and maneuvers that are risky for very little gain. http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1104.pdf The highest is CA, nearly doubling FL.
No, those statistics show that California's fatality rate was below the U.S. average (Florida's was somewhat above average). The big total was simply due to the large number of vehicles driven there.

Ciao,

Top Bottom