Shinko Tires - Test/Review

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I found this post. A friend of mine here at work just got 2 shinkos for his motorcycle for $150. I've not heard much about them so I thought I'd start looking at the reviews. A pretty good read (well written and quite colorful). The jury is still out on the tires, but in a pinch, this may be a cheap alternative.

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=106588

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I have the 009 Raven on the rear tire. Wear has been good so far. I have just over 10,000 miles on it and it may go another 1,000 or even 2,000 if I am lucky. Only the second tire I have tried on the ST so not a lot for me to compare it to but feels okay while riding and has lasted longer than the Conti Motion which only lasted 8700 miles. I'll probably try the PR2 next to match the front.

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
I'd like to try the Shinko Verge tyres, but they don't make them in 1100 sizes :mad:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I don't seem to be riding very far in the last while but my Shinkos are working very well, wet, dry, highway, town. Only 2,500 miles but some spirited riding and all seems well. I'll be looking at another set when these are done if the price is close to the deal for these.

Rear 170/60 ZR17
Front 120/70 ZR18

HIH

Norm

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Ok, I finally wore out the Shinko 009 on the rear. I ended up with 13,721 miles and not quite bald yet. I am not an aggressive rider but I don't baby it either so I am very impressed with the mileage! I only replaced it because the hole left behind after I picked up a screw at the Home Depot parking lot refused to stay plugged any more. It was holding air well and only needed topping off around once a week but as the tire wore, it wouldn't even make it through a day without needing more air so I installed a PR2 to match the front.

Considering the mileage, I may go back to it after the PR2 wears out if the price is still good. Hard to beat the $/mile on that Shinko Raven 009. ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300
From the link in the first post....
" A little history:
I've been riding street/sportbikes at a very high level for more than 25 years and around 1/2 million miles.
Almost every bit of it has been very hard & fast, in some very demanding situations, including Autobahns, Alps, Nurburgring, Spa and other racetracks.
I've likely ridden more miles 2-up, and more miles in rain than most riders have ever ridden all together.
Even 2-up and in rain I usually ride as hard as I can get away with.
I don't have a "Mellow" setting..."
HA!

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Hope someone sees this soon. I'm on a trip with the Shinko 011's. I installed them before the trip. Also changed out the fork oil to 7.5. That's all I did. Took the bike for a ride and even in my gravel driveway I could tell something wasn't right. The bike handled like POOP! Not even the same feel as the Mich 4's. Those were steady and very planted. These 011's make me feel like a weeble! Yes I went back and checked the front axle install and again on the road with everything all warmed up. It just weebles down the road. Pre-load and some rebound helped, but not that much. I tried them totally unloaded and now loaded for the trip. Really no difference. I am bummed since I'm in the middle of about a 4k trip. I can deal with it, but only thing I can blame are the tires. Nothing could have changed pulling the rims on and off for a tire change. Got any ideas? I'll try the Angels when I get the next set. Again the Michs were rock solid

Bike
R1200rt
ALL THE REVIEWS FOR THE 011 ARE GOOD. I HAVE THEM 80-90MPH GREAT, BEEN IN RAIN AND FELT GOOD BUT DID NOT HAVE TO PUT THEM INTO PANIC MODE. BETTER MILEAGE THAN T30.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I've also had very good experience with the 011s.

Both the front and rear 011?? I've been running the 011 Verge on the rear this year and the front is a well scalloped BattleAxe which needs replacement (I'm hoping it's the cause of some "hop" type vibration) and considering a matched 011 set.

Bike
R1200rt
Hope someone sees this soon. I'm on a trip with the Shinko 011's. I installed them before the trip. Also changed out the fork oil to 7.5. That's all I did. Took the bike for a ride and even in my gravel driveway I could tell something wasn't right. The bike handled like POOP! Not even the same feel as the Mich 4's. Those were steady and very planted. These 011's make me feel like a weeble! Yes I went back and checked the front axle install and again on the road with everything all warmed up. It just weebles down the road. Pre-load and some rebound helped, but not that much. I tried them totally unloaded and now loaded for the trip. Really no difference. I am bummed since I'm in the middle of about a 4k trip. I can deal with it, but only thing I can blame are the tires. Nothing could have changed pulling the rims on and off for a tire change. Got any ideas? I'll try the Angels when I get the next set. Again the Michs were rock solid
If you liked the Michelins so much you should buy them again. If you put on a different tire and don't like the handling you won't know if it's the tire or your bike.

Top Bottom