Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Tank Hose Leak (Near Miss)

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Hey y'all, I just wanted to document my experience with a major gas leak that occurred after working on the ST1300. I was installing an electric Rostra cruise control but same thing could easily occur changing the air filter. During part of the installation the gas tank was loosened, slid back and lifted from the front, supporting it with a wood block. This is exactly the same for changing the air filter. The difference was that I left the tank in this position for a few days. During the work I noted a slight gas smell but noted no leaking. I attributed the odor to having the intakes exposed and the engine primed a couple of times when turning the key off and on. The tank was low on gas as recommended in the manual for any work in this area. After the work was completed I test rode the bike a couple of times noting no problems. I then rode the bike in to fill it up, topping it off completely. I immediately noted a significant gas leak. At this point my actions were not very smart. I then rode the bike home, thinking I needed to get to some tools so I could lift the tank and reconnect the leaking hose. On arriving home the gas was pouring out, now down on hot exhaust. As quickly as possible the tank was removed but not without gas leaking everywhere, including on us. Thank God there was no issue. Sometimes I really stress my guardian angel. I cannot tell y'all how stressful this was or how absolutely stupid I felt afterward. We were very lucky.
The hose leaking was the main drain line from the tank. It apparently tore/ruptured after being bent during the time the gas tank was lifted up and back. When I refilled the tank after repair of the leaking hose, I had lost 3.5 gallons of gas.
The bike is an '07 so the hose is 5 years old but still seems soft and flexible enough. It can be replace at least temporarily by a Dayco hose #A71370.
I am writing this to warn others of this possible failure and hopefully prevent any serious fires that might result.
What have I learned?
#1. The main gas hose on the back of the ST's tank can crack significantly.
#2. This may have a very subtle presentation.
#3. Do not keep your gas tank up,with the hose bent, for extended periods of time.
#4. Check this hose carefully after any maintenance that requires moving the tank.
#5. Do not ignore a gas smell, it is coming from somewhere.
#6. If your bike starts leaking gas, even away from a convenient location, push it somewhere safe and let it sit until it stops and then investigate.

Please be careful with this problem, We were very luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Re: Near miss!!!

Wow..... that could have been a really bad experience...... glad it turned out much better than it could have......

Thanks for sharing the experience in order to improve the safety of every one else in future.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Near miss!!! Fuel Tank Hose Leak

That's a close one alright. I took a very close look at mine when I was switching the red tank to the white tank and it didn't appear to have any issues. Probably a good idea to replace them every few years especially if you live in a hot area. It's one of those things that may never happen but good to inspect. Could you tell looking at it if there were stress cracks that may have been visible to look out for in the future?

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #

Very thankful this is a lesson and not an injury... or worse!

Sincerely,

- kbt

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Very lucky indeed! Although gas smell can be pretty brutal!

Because I have removed my tank on a number of occasions, I replaced my hose twice now. They are easy to do, other then getting the one clap off. Currently, I have two new hoses sitting in my parts bin. (forgot I had already ordered one. ) I figure, I'll be replacing the '04 hose the first time I do any work under the tank... like checking the air filter.

Good reminder for all that have bikes 5 years or older, you should probably look to replacing that hose soon!

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday

Glad that nothing more serious happened, Jeff!

Having heard about this gas hose issue a couple of times now, I'll be checking mine the next time the tank is up. Is the short length of the hose an issue? In other words, would replacing that shortish hose with one an inch or so longer relieve the stress on the hose when the gas tank is lifted for maintenance?

Lumpy

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow Jeff! I am glad it all worked out for the good. I never lift my tank and leave it up, for me it is easier to just remove the tank and have it out of the way. I will be ordering a new hose and replace mine next time I am working under the tank.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Glad that nothing more serious happened, Jeff!

Having heard about this gas hose issue a couple of times now, I'll be checking mine the next time the tank is up. Is the short length of the hose an issue? In other words, would replacing that shortish hose with one an inch or so longer relieve the stress on the hose when the gas tank is lifted for maintenance?

Lumpy
That would be hard to find a hose that would work since it is different sizes at each end. And I really think a longer hose would be a fit issue.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Longer would cause more issues.

As mentioned not only are the two sides different sizes but also when you lift the tank you have to pull it back a little. This pinches that fuel line. If it was longer than OEM it would likely cause more stress on the line.

I also had one break on me. In my case my bike was down because of a SMC failure. Because this was an unplanned maintenance period it happened with the bike almost full. I wanted to adjust my Starcom cables running under the tank so I tried to lift the tank even though it was probably around 1/2 tank. Well, I emptied the tank all over the shop floor when that like broke on my bike. I now have a spare in my box o' parts.

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday

Longer would cause more issues.

As mentioned not only are the two sides different sizes but also when you lift the tank you have to pull it back a little. This pinches that fuel line. If it was longer than OEM it would likely cause more stress on the line.

I also had one break on me. In my case my bike was down because of a SMC failure. Because this was an unplanned maintenance period it happened with the bike almost full. I wanted to adjust my Starcom cables running under the tank so I tried to lift the tank even though it was probably around 1/2 tank. Well, I emptied the tank all over the shop floor when that like broke on my bike. I now have a spare in my box o' parts.
Oh well, guess I'll just order a replacement from Mother Honda and have it in my "spares" box just in case...thanks.

Lumpy

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

I believe that hose is actually supposed to be replaced whenever the tank is lifted for MX per the service manual.....I could be wrong...

Bike
04 ST1300

Nice to know everything went green. Had to change same hose because i discovered that M Honda changed the hose diameters between the 07 and 08.(one had different diameters at each end, and the other same at both ends)
Went to the used car parts shop and scrounge through to find a hose with similar dimensions and use it for replacement, as i cant wait 3 weeks to get it from Ronayers.
Wasn't sure it was used for coolant or gas in its former life.
Maybe i should order the proper hose, but it seemed the right fit and no gas smell.
That's a close one alright. I took a very close look at mine when I was switching the red tank to the white tank and it didn't appear to have any issues. Probably a good idea to replace them every few years especially if you live in a hot area. It's one of those things that may never happen but good to inspect. Could you tell looking at it if there were stress cracks that may have been visible to look out for in the future?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

I believe that hose is actually supposed to be replaced whenever the tank is lifted for MX per the service manual.....I could be wrong...
I guess it depends on how you define "lifted". The service manual only calls out to replace the hose and clamps if the top tank is removed from the bike not if the tank is only lifted up to allow access to the air cleaner and TB's.

BTW, the first item listed in the maintenance schedule for the 1300 is for the inspection of the fuel line with the interval set at every 8K miles. The manual has you lifting the tank and then states the following:

Check the fuel lines for deterioration, damage or leakage. Replace the fuel lines if necessary. Also check the fuel line fittings for leakage...

OP
OP
4jranch
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

Appreciate the comments. Three unexpected breaks with significant gas leaks. I think this is a serious issue. Joe, no obvious crack or other signs of failure that I could tell. Maybe this issue needs to be a more general warning, I'm sure you know how to handle this properly...

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #

Very common problem , and why some of us have spare hoses as they sometimes are hard to get .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe, no obvious crack or other signs of failure that I could tell. Maybe this issue needs to be a more general warning, I'm sure you know how to handle this properly...
I moved this to the Known Issues article section.

I have seen a few posts on this in the past but I wouldn't say it was a common thing, HOWEVER, then the more you really think about it... eventually, every hose will fail.. not just this one but every hose.. given time.

The fact that this one has to bend when doing maintenance does put it at a greater risk. I think Gene is right in that it will be a common issue as the bikes get older and older and those hoses are exposed to more heat cycles and maintenance intervals. The more someone rides the more they will likely see something like this.

I think Gene works for Honda as I have a suspicion there will be a national back order on that hose now.. LOL

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Had to change same hose because i discovered that M Honda changed the hose diameters between the 07 and 08.(one had different diameters at each end, and the other same at both ends)
Thanks, interesting the pre-2008 hose can be purchased for just under $6 but the 2008 and newer hose is just under $16. I wonder if it's a thicker reinforced one....

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

I think Gene works for Honda as I have a suspicion there will be a national back order on that hose now.. LOL
Well, when you take into account all of the members here that are about to order a spare, I'll bet you are right. I am glad I ordered my spare two years ago.

Top Bottom