RoadTrip

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 500 and I'd like to design some routes on my Mac and use them on the Nuvi. I downloaded and installed Roadtrip. The base map that comes with the application is nearly worthless unless you plan on riding on the interstate all the time - the level of detail is not great and many roads (the little ones with all the curves on them!) don't appear.

The map detail on the Nuvi itself is just fine, but that doesn't show up on the computer software when I synch it. Do I have to buy new maps for RoadTrip just to be able to plan routes? Suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Mark

:04biker:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Go to the Garmin website and download BaseCamp for Mac. Roadtrip is dead and was not that great to begin with. BaseCamp will allow you to use the maps on your Nuvi to plan routes on the computer as long as the Nuvi is connected to the computer. If you want stand alone maps they'll have to be purchased or the series you already have on the GPS updated. When you install an update there's an option to install to both the computer and the GPS.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Honestly, I used to try to plan exact routes, but now I just set waypoints that I want to visit during my trip. I let my nuvi 500 set the route (shortest distance avoid interstate, avoid U-turn) then if I see a road, mountain, Canyon I want to explore, I just make the turn and let it recalculate...if the distance to the waypoint gets too long I do a search for gas stations or regroup.
It makes it more of an adventure that way.

OP
OP

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks, I'll try BaseCamp. I don't think I'll mind having the GPS connected when I plan the routes.

It's rare for me to plan a route very specifically, but I'd like to be able to do that sometimes.

Mark

Top Bottom