New Pirelli Angels like riding on ice!

Bike
2006 ST 1300
Just put the new Pirelli Angels on the ST which replaced the Bridgestones. I'm not sure I like these? Did about 100 miles on them and the bile seems way less stable and gives the feeling of floating side to side at speed. I can even tell at 30 mph that there seems to be slight side to side motion through the front forks. Very disconcerting. Tire pressure set at the shop was around 38psi and they were adamant that was the correct pressure for the tire. Anyone else had this experience after a tire change?

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
The conversations I had with the Honda Canada rep at the January Bike Show suggested the PSI should still be the same as the Bridgestones. Try 42psi front and rear and see if that settles the bike and your fears about stability down a bit. 100 miles barely scuffs in the tires so it could be just the newness too. I'd be curious about your observations about the Angels once you get accustomed to them. Cheers Marty

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable! :hat4:

Ummm...Can't say I run my tires according to the tire spec. Rather I run mine according to the specs required by the bike. I'm running 42psi front and rear as per the label on my ST1300. I'm not running the Pirellis but running em as low as 38psi might be where your squishy squishy is coming from. Try 42psi and I'm betting all that weird feel goes away. And remember, a tiny change in tire pressure can and usually does translate to a big difference in feel where motorcycles are concerned.

I'm betting a few others will pitch in here and advise about the same thing...

LOL! Marty was a bit faster than I...LOL!

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Thanks for the reply. I will experiment a bit with pressure changes but I have never quite felt feedback like this before, even with new tires. They sure turn in nice though. It was a toss up between Pirelli and the Pilot 3.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So are the Pirelli Angels spec'd out for the ST1300?

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
For my CBR (Honda recommends 36f/42r), I run at 33/33 on the road, and 30/27 on the racetrack.

On the street, I run my VFR (recommended 36/42) tires at 35/40.5. I'll have to find track pressures for it next week when it finally runs Streets of Willow.

But, like others have noted above, I've experimented with the pressures on my ST (because it gets ridden like a CBR), and found it won't tolerate anything less than the recommended 42/42 (on Roadsmarts). The weight of the ST causes the front end to get heavy, squishy and fishy at pressures any lower than that.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I can't ride today as we have a couple of inches of snow! Tomorrow, weather permitting I will run 42psi Nd see how it works out. There were afew times with the Bridgestones where I was at 38psi and it never acted like this. I can tell you it was very strange riding down the highway like that. The tire pressure was set by the journeyman tech of 30 plus years and I did question him on it.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Bridgestones have a very stiff sidewall and won't feel quite as skittish when under-inflated as Avon or particularly, Michelin.....

These days tyres don't really need 100 miles of running in.... especially if you ride through rain in the first couple of miles.....

As I tend to fit my tyres in the evening I have no issues with riding normally, except in the rain, for the first few miles.....

You could also wash the bike and tyres after fitting and give the wheel a spin and rub the tyre tread with a soapy scotchbrite pad.... that sorts it right out.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Sometimes when replacing tires that have been squared off from many miles of riding, new tires can feel a little squirrely.
Going back to round profile tires can be a little unnerving till you get used to them again.

Bike
2006 ST1300
ALWAYS start off with the pressures suggested by the VEHICLE. That setting is determined by that particular tire size on that particular model bike. Weight plays a big role in determining tire pressures- do you think a 400 lb. bike that might happen to take the same tire size would use the same pressures as an ST? Once you start with the suggested pressures for the bike, you may want to adjust them very slightly for your particular riding. If you are 120 lbs., never carry a passenger or cargo, you may be able to drop a couple PSI. If you are a big guy, ride with a passenger, and/or pack the bike full of gear, you may want to go up a couple PSI.

And as someone else suggested, if the tires you are using aren't suggested for the ST, they may not have a high enough load rating, and may feel very squirley. If this is the case, GET THOSE TIRES OFF THERE NOW! Too low of a load rating can lead to overheating the tires, possibly causing severe tire damage with no warning.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
At a track class they had us drop the tire pressures for more traction. To tell the truth I didn't notice much difference going as low as 30's PSI. Michelin PR2, F and R.
As Jim suggests, If there is that much difference in feel, I think something else is going on.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST 1300
The load rating is fine and they come standard eom on comparable bikes. I will see today but it is possible I have a bad tire or something else is incorrect on the bike.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Problem solved. Added 5 pounds per tire and had a look at the pre load adjustment. For some reason they had backed out the pre load to essentially zero and I have no idea why? Re did the sag measurement and set the pre load and we are rock solid again. I have to say these tires are much much better than the Bridgestones in the corners. Much easier turn in and very solid holding a line. I have to be careful not to over steer now. Thanks to all the replies.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Yeah there was absolutely no pre load at all. I have no idea why they did that?
I find my ST handles best with the damping set 1/2 turn further out than the stock setting, and the preload adjuster set on 4 or 5, just where the preload starts working.
Handles like its on rails. Any firmer, and the jacked up rear end feels like its pushing the front wheel in the turns.
With the preload adjusted so its just loaded, I get no more hobby horse, back and forth, up and down motion when I get on or off the throttle.

Top Bottom