1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake lever.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Went on a 160 mile ride today and was hearing a "locust" type buzzing. I noticed when I was squeeze the brake handle it would buzz louder, when released it would still buzz but quieter. I don't have a stereo system this noise could be coming through, I haven't heard it before until today. I have recently replaced the front brake pads, 200 miles ago.
It sounds like static interference in a speaker, but I don't have speakers. Something must be interfering with the stator somehow it's the only thing electric I have.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: 1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake le

Take a good look at your pads to see if maybe a piece of gravel is stuck in there. There's also a exhaust heat shield that has been known to get loose and make a rattling noise.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Re: 1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake le

You might want to put the bike on the center stand, jack the front wheel clear of the floor and rotate it. Check to see if the brakes are dragging. When was the last time the fluid was flushed and replaced. If it has been... well since you don't know when, then maybe the calipers are sticking and need cleaning. When you squeeze the brakes changes the sound, then that's where I would start. Did you use any "brake quiet" fluid on the back of the pads? If not they may be growling at you.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

I'll try it this way to describe this because my first description in almost anything is junk. I had 160 miles to listen to this constant buzz sound. It was a non mechanical sound. Once it got my attention, it had my full attention in trying to deduce where it was coming from and why has it just started. When I used the front brake, before I noticed this noise, the buzz was more pronounced. Now I know how to trigger it and where it might possibly be coming from. Under 15mph, the buzz is no longer present and actuating the brakes no longer makes any noise.
To make sure of this constant buzz sound not being distant locust singing, I would intermittently and lightly squeeze my brake lever and the buzz would become louder for the duration of squeezing my brakes. Like the amperage when the brake light comes on while squeezing the brake lever has something to do with the noise.
I will continue to listen for this as I ride, maybe it will go away like a really annoying relative eventually will.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

What is the output voltage of the alternator at speed and then at idle. Does it change when you power on any accessories? You may be on to something, let us know what you find.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks for pointing out different voltages at different rpms. Less than 15mph the engine would be near idle and there really is no other time in travel the rpm is that low, hence no buzz. The batter is at least 5 years old, when the PO last replaced it. Will get back to you. I have a spark test to view today from all cylinders from a previous issue, will run it and get voltages at idle up to 5k.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

resting voltage for this 5 year old battery 12.66
Once started, idle 14.00
2000 14.30
3000 14.50
4000 14.60
5000 14.75

Went on a 100+ ride today and the buzz still remains. When I press the lever, even a little, the buzz still increases until I release the lever. To further complicate this extra noise thing, my mileage on a 2up ride beat any record previously at 47.5 mpg. That is for a 21 year old machine, 285 miles on 6 ga. So, will I tolerate this noise thing until I figure it out with this kind of mileage, probably. I used a treatment of seafoam in the tank previous. The tank with seafoam was 42 mpg, but a lot of miles on that tank was long distance. Still beat my mpg performance by 4 mpg in the 5 months previous. Will be interested to see how this tank performs with my regular commute to work.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

This may seem far out but I had a strange noise like this some time ago. It would change pitch when I put on the brake. It turned out to be from my windshield not being sealed properly where it screws down against the fairing. I had replaced the windshield and the new windscreen did not seal tight. I found some foam weatherstrip and put it under the edge of the screen and the noise stopped. I think the pitch of the noise changed when I hit the front brake due to the front end diving down and the wind hit the screen at a different angle.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks for the input. I still have yet to find out if the brake lever is squeezed hard enough to turn the brake lights on. It's some sort of static electric noise I'm hoping will prevent itself, possibly a poor ground. As it happens, speaking of poor grounds, my clock light is intermittent. Maybe when I explore better connections for that, the noise will go away.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

Wonder if it could be a relay? Or something back-feeding the horn? Weird.....

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

yeah, I agree it's weird. Since the brake handle being depressed (and have yet to determine if the louder noise is produced before the brake light comes on) causes the noise to become louder, after I am slower than 15mph it slowly dwindles to no noise at all and cannot be reproduced unless I am traveling. Revving at a stop to 3 or 4k and depressing the brake lever doesn't count, there is no static noise. But I can hear it just scootin along over 15mph. Just waiting to hear of a similar symptom.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT

You sure it is an electronic sound? My '99 makes a squeak, squeak sound and the faster you the higher the frequency until it is drowned out by wind noise, the brake part does not apply in my case though. In my case it is the speedometer pick up and I have grown use to it over the last couple of years.

Gerhard

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Now that makes sense with the speedometer cable for why it dies out >15mph. The brake handle role is still a mystery, and I'm sure it just started recently. Part of riding a 21 y/o machine is listening to how it runs at all rpm's and feeling for different vibrations because something might be developing and you can catch it in time.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

I agree with checking the speedo cable. Try pulling the speedo cable, clean and lube it, see if that helps.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Will do. There are also no indications it's wearing out either. I had a 73 Super Beetle the speedo needle started jumping different speed indications. It was 5mph bounce at first, by the time it was jumping about 20mph it broke. I figured the cable inside developed an articulation point and it was just a matter of time before it was replaced. So far my needle doesn't jump like that but it's do to be cleaned and lubed, just haven't done it before.

I have the exact same problem. no matter how hard or soft i depress the front brake lever i hear a buzz like in a sound system component that needs a ground drop. As a new ST1100 owner i thought it might be the brake pad warning so ive been researching a good brand of pads to install other than the expensive oem.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

I use these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Semi-Metallic-Front-Brake-Pads-1991-2002-Honda-ST-1100-/300716858049?hash=item46041f1ac1&item=300716858049&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1358wt_1009
I do not have a problem with them, it's not an expensive method of pads all the way around, if it turns out not to be right for you.
As far as the wear indicator as the culprit for sound, I have new pads so it's not that, and I can hear the sound faintly while the idling and parked when I squeeze the brake lever, so now I'm on to possibly electrical connections in the brake handle mechanism.

Last edited:

i went ahead and got honda pads. and i changed my tires once im back up and running ill check out the noise. I cant imagine its the speedo cable, since the sound is only made when the brake lever is pressed. the noise is the same loudness no matter if you just barely press the front brake.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Not knowing what it could be that was causing this sound, I never notice my battery cables were loose. I wired my 12v port better than the PO and included a hard wired quick disconnect for an Autocom head set. When I wired the ground to the battery, per instructions, as to not get other electrical buzzes in my speakers from other operations on the bike, the sound may still be there, but I have to lean forward and listen hard when I actuate the brake handle. Makes sense now.

now that i changed my brakes, tires , wheel bearings, im focusing on this sound now. I have figured out that i can hear it better when sitting and rev the engine to 3000 rpm and just barely engage the brake switch, you can hear the buzz. I think someone earlier posted it could be a buzz coming through the horn speeker. Its def something electrical.

Top Bottom