1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake lever.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: 1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake le

I'm about to replace my horns, perhaps a ride without horns temporarily as a buzz is still present.

Bike
'94 ST1100
STOC #
Re: 1991 ST1100 standard, buzz over 15mph, buzz is pronounced when squeezing brake le

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but my front brakes have been making this same buzzing noise since they were replaced last weekend. Here's what I found on the web that makes sense:
BUZZING "LOCUST" SOUNDS FROM THE FRONT BRAKE:Intruder (and many others) front brake rotors are crossed drilled. This cross drilling allows for better cooling of the rotor, and pads, and creates a funny (and slightly annoying) high pitched buzzing sound. As the holes pass between the pads, air is compressed into them and then heats up and makes a tiny high pitched pop as they pass from the trailing end. This air also helps to "float" the pads from the rotor when not under pressure. The resulting buzz can be greatly reduced (with some loss of friction surface) by hacksawing two additional slots in the friction material. Stock pads come with a vertical slot cut into the center of the pads. Simply add two more slots, cutting the pad into four equal sections. Make your cuts about two thirds of the way into the pads and stop there. This way, when the buzz comes back, you'll know it's time to shop for new pads.*Anti-Brake-Buzz Modification Drawing*This does reduce the effective "working" surface of the pads, but they will still function safely, in my opinion and experience. My guess is, that adding the slots greatly reduces the heat expansion time for the compressed air, thereby reducing the volume of the final "pop". Alteration of brake pad friction surfaces is not sanctioned by any professional service department that might otherwise be held liable for performing "unsafe" alterations to your vehicle. This is strictly a do-it-yourself-at-your-own-risk alteration.*

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

It'll go away... new pads sometimes do that

Bike
'94 ST1100
STOC #

Now that I know what it is, it's kinda cool.
Now my Jetson's mobile has a high performance locust braking system! :hotpepper:hotpepper

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

I have to admit, I'm a person most likely to change or make something I have, to suit me better, but if the buzz is a result of my massive collection of unaltered brake pad material, then the buzz is the buzz.
It does not really bother me. It's something I noticed one day when I'd owned my ride long enough to listen to the quirks.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

We can change out your front wheel bearings on Sept. 13. if you can get them by then.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

We can change out your front wheel bearings on Sept. 13. if you can get them by then.
Already done sir. When I ordered bearings, I bought them for both wheels because I needed to do the front bad. So I ordered them for both wheels. Thing is, the rear rim isn't necessarily old. It's the GL rim, necessary for mounting the CT. So, the bearing in that was unknown mileage. Likely not near as many miles as on OE rim from '91.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Went on my first ride after rebuilding the front calipers. The buzz, while not braking, is gone. This means, unfortunately, the entire time I've heard the buzz, is because the pads have been touching while not braking since I owned it. Now, it's been a light squeeze, so much so that I used to get a full turn when I would spin the tire before it would stop. Now, 2 turns beats 1 turn. Another observation, is I've been getting 41 to 42mpg for my 10 mile commute to work and a whopping, hard to believe 49.1 on a recent trip to Ohio and back. The reason for this astounding mileage is it was highway 52 the whole way there, 55 to 60mph, thus the best mileage since ownership. I just filled up today, so it would be interesting to note what my first tank's mileage does since reducing the drag by rebuilding the calipers.
It may cost you something, about 36 dollars to redo your calipers, but if it doesn't cost as much at the pump for the miles you put on, the repair will pay for itself getting better miles per gallon.

Top Bottom