Bridgestone Exedra series

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
When I went to replace both tires, I chose the Bridgestone Exedra series instead of Battlax.
Because of availability, an Exedra Max went on the front and an Exedra G850 on the rear. At 9,700 miles the G850 rear tire is now down to its wear bars while the Exedra Max front still has plenty of thread life left. This was achieved as a solo rider.

I can say the G850 was a smooth-riding tire and while not ridden in the rain it was used when the weather was foggy and the roads had that wet sheen and it still performed admirably with no slipping feeling. I also have brought the bike up to an indicated 130mph and the combination is very stable.

The rear is now replaced with an Exedra Max to match the front and I will report later on performance and mileage.

Attachments

Last edited:

trm

Just ordered a set of Exedra Max's for the my 1300, are these pretty new? I haven't seen any ST's with them before. I thought they looked like a good compromise to get some pretty good life out of them. Never used anything but Mez Z6's so I'm looking forward to something new. If anyone is interested I will post a review once their on the bike.

TRM on the Northside of SA

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I'm running the older tread pattern exedra on the front of my ST1100 with a Me880 on the rear. I switched to the exedra for longer life. The tire works well and so far I have about 6500 miles on it with probably another 3000 to go. I really like the twisties, so my tire mileage suffers. Another reason I went to the Excedra is because I have had a Avon Storm delaminate at about 70mph!

trm

Got the Exedra Max's mounted and tech mentioned that the rear was the stiffest tire he's ever mounted and that it reminded him of a run-flat tire which had me somewhat concerned. I got the wheels back on the bike and by the time i road down my driveway they felt great, very stable on the highway and no "new tire slickness" at all. So far, doesn't feel like I'm giving up much grip at all for the potential extra mileage.

Ride Safe! TRM on the Northside of SA

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Front tire - 385 days and 17,000 miles later.

And as to be expected, when the wear bars were about even with the rest of the tire, it felt vague at the last 500 or so miles. But it wore evenly with no cupping and with slightly more wear on the left side. Bought me a new one, I really like it. And just like the comment below, no "new tire slickness" feel.

Attachments

Last edited:
I had Exedras front and rear when I bought my 2001 ST1100 this year. The rear was well used and possibly still the original. The front was almost new then. So now I've got a new version of the same on back and will soon put a new of the same in front. For the price I've been very satisfied with the ride and handling. I can hear weaknesses in the front when cornering hard, but all is okay straight-line. The bike now has 31k on it.

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Rear tire - 292 days and 13,800 miles later.

The Exedra Max wasn't a bad tire, it certainly wore well but it was a bit vague in its feedback. I'm trying a rear Battlax BT-023 now and I hope to get the same mileage out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

trm

I'm about 4500 miles in to the Exedra's and have been very happy until this week, since am experience a pretty bad front end shaking around 40-50 mph especially when decelerating. Checked tire pressure right at F 40 / R 42. Pulled the wheel, bearings are good, took to a service shop, spin and static balance are good. The feedback I've gotten is either bad front tire, or steering head bearings that look like a real bear to replace. I may replace the tire first, if its not the issue at least I'll have my next front tire ready.

Anyone else see anything funny with these tires?
Thanks, TRM

Bike
92 ST1100
I'm about 4500 miles in to the Exedra's and have been very happy until this week, since am experience a pretty bad front end shaking around 40-50 mph especially when decelerating. Checked tire pressure right at F 40 / R 42. Pulled the wheel, bearings are good, took to a service shop, spin and static balance are good. The feedback I've gotten is either bad front tire, or steering head bearings that look like a real bear to replace. I may replace the tire first, if its not the issue at least I'll have my next front tire ready.

Anyone else see anything funny with these tires?
Thanks, TRM
Rock the bike back on the centerstand and rotate the steering head and you'll feel the 'flat' spot when wheel is straight ahead. Change out the round roller type head bearings to tapered roller bearings if you want to get rid of the head-shake, not the tire. BTW, BTDT.

trm

I know its been a while, but definitely a bad front tire. Changed it out to a Mez Z8 and the front end shake between 40-60 mph is gone. I had them put the old tire/wheel on the spin balancer with a piece of tape and you could easily see the movement of the tape. Its a shame, I actually liked these tires and could have enjoyed 10+k between tire swaps but im going to continue with the Exedra rear until its squared off (even more than the way it comes from the factory).

When I was ordering the replacement I ddint see this model come up in many searches, did Bridgestone give up on these with the release of the T30?

TRM

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I know its been a while, but definitely a bad front tire. Changed it out to a Mez Z8 and the front end shake between 40-60 mph is gone. I had them put the old tire/wheel on the spin balancer with a piece of tape and you could easily see the movement of the tape. Its a shame, I actually liked these tires and could have enjoyed 10+k between tire swaps but im going to continue with the Exedra rear until its squared off (even more than the way it comes from the factory).

When I was ordering the replacement I ddint see this model come up in many searches, did Bridgestone give up on these with the release of the T30?

TRM
They should still be around. The T30 is the new sport touring tire. The Exedra series is a OEM replacement tire. Bridgestone had a wide range of tires they were building for bikes and wanted a line of tires like the Dunlop 404 series that fits lots of bike with the same tread pattern. Cheaper to make like and covers more models.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I just had an exedra max put on the rear of my 09. I haven't had it out yet because of the snow. If the rear goes well I might use a max 130 on the front as I like the 130 elite 3 on the front of my 13's.

Has anyone put an Exedra G709 on the front wheel? This is a Gold Wing tire
130/70R18 M/C 63H TL and is 10mm wider and 7mm taller. Will this fit on the ST1300?

Top Bottom