Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Anyone have this trailer? Issues?

Thinking of getting this trailer. My primary use would be small instate camp trips. I would remove the cargo shell and add a small truck box for camping gear and have my mountain bike attached along side the box. I have seen the alterations on other sites.

My concern is the stability and what would be the best hitch for my 1100. Cost is the major issue but I do not want to go so cheap that it is dangerus or not durable.

I know that HF has the flatbed one as well but the cargo carrier would eventually get used so the Tag-Along is a better deal. My local HF has 2 instock and sale price with 20% coupon ~ $320 + tax is a good deal.

Thanks,
Michael

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Michael, I have this trailer, came with the 06 Wing I bought a little over two months ago. I have pulled it on a 300 mile round trip recently and could not tell it was behind the bike until I was going at least 65 or better. The only reason I knew it was back there was 1) the rear view mirror, 2) the wind drag at 65 and above... not bad, but I noticed something different. It was nearly empty, so pulling it with some weight may be another story... but with the Wing.. it still may go unnoticed. Good luck, the hitch for the 1100 may cost you as much as the trailer.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Not sure about the trailer as I pull an Aspen Sentry camping trailer. But for the 1100 hitch-I have a Uni-Go and it is rock solid. Found one on Motocampers. I did have to get a L bracket made for the back to mount the ball on it but local welding shop did it for $16. Here are a couple of pics of the hitch and bracket I had made. Hope this helps. I've now pulled my Senty over 3k miles and yes, you do know it's back there but you ride accordingly. And I do have a Prodigy brake controller mounted on my 1100 as the trailer has electric brakes. Helps a lot. And I am still getting 38 mpg pulling.

Attachments

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's the original Piggybacker trailer that used to be sold on eBay. Lots of GW riders have one and I almost bought one many years ago. I ended up getting a camper instead. You can still read reviews and see the original web site for the Piggybacker XL by doing a search for "Piggybacker trailer" on google.com. A Denray hitch will cost 1/3 less than the trailer, but if you can find a UniGo hitch for your bike and mod it same as gmast1100 you'll be a bit more solid. I have a Denray hitch now and there is a very slight sway in a high side wind or excessive turbulance (I would expect that a little with any hitch due to just having a trailer back there). As far as knowing it's back there, with my camper I only notice when starting up or stopping. Same when I pulled a heavier camper with my GW. I now have a Mini-Mate camper with my ST1100 and once I get going I have to look in the mirrors to make sure it's still there. A cargo trailer will be even less noticeable. Just looked up the hitches at UniGo. New is $305 if you can contact them to order new. Used would be much less. You would still need to mod it same as above since the UniGo hitch is designed for a different coupler. My Denray hitch cost me $245 plus shipping and then I still had to mod it to fit the bike right. I had to replace the hangers with thicker aluminum bars and mounted them in a better (IMHO) place on the frame. See my gallery for photos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom