Thinking about getting a Vee

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Edit: No longer thinking about a Vee. Purchased a Glee 650 :D

Thinking about getting a 2005 V-Strom 1000 with 4700 miles on it. Seems I don?t ride as much as I used to, and the thought of a smaller bike may be in my future. I?ve read some about the Vee, good and bad, but want other opinions. I like the thought of a dual-sporter, smaller than the ST and more nimble (for me).

This one I found on craigslist is selling for $6500.00 with the included accessories:
Soft/quick release top & side bags
Side guards
Reinforced Renthal handle bars with pad
Spongy grips
Cruise control
Tank Protector
PIAA Lighting
12 V accessory outlet
After market Center stand
Trickle charge wiring outlet
Car Horn (dual pitch)
All books/records, marketing materials
Fresh Oil change -- full synthetic
New (no maintenance) Battery

What do you think?

!cid_image008_jpg@01CD3D7C.jpg

!cid_image013_jpg@01CD3D7C.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jrnyer
Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I have a 2004 Vee and I really like the bike its just fun,,
99.9 % of the Vees need a power commander or a Yosh box tune up to run right,,
Your ST 1300 will get better MPG no matter what you do...
NADA is about 5,600,,
Mike
Well, that takes care of that deal, my search will continue....thanks Mike

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I've had a blast riding the Wee through the winter months. Easiest bike to ride that I have ever been on. Fast on pavement or gravel, cheap on gas & tires, bulletproof engine design, packs enough to be great for a woman.....so it is going to be Della's first bike.

Compared to my ST1300, it's half the size and twice the fun. I hate to see it go but if I'm nice to her, she might let me ride it again every once in a while!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Go with the DL650 (Wee). ABS option, smoother than the 1000, Cheaper and will do the same STuff, also a bit lighter than the 1000. Here is a picture of mine 09 model. Local riding with out the givi bags I get about 55 MPG. On the open highway, loaded with the bags and top box I get about 45 to 48mpg. In the Kansas head winds, all bets are off.:D

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST
Robert, I added an '07 DL650 to the garage this year, so I own that and an ST. They really are different animals and I try not to even compare because they each have their strengths/weaknesses. Originally intended to sell the ST and get back to the basics, but haven't been able to pull the trigger, partially because I'll be giving up a lot of bike, and partially because I'm just too lazy to prep and list the ST. But as time goes by, the DL650 is really growing on me and I'm still leaning towards getting down to only one bike (garage space constraints) and the DL650 just may be the only one standing when all is said and done. Still need to take it for an extended ride to see how the long distance capabilities hold up, but from all indications, it seems to fit my needs, but to each their own.

The pros of the Suzuki include less weight, an even more upright seating position than the ST, 50+ mpg on the DL650 (YMMV), plenty of aftermarket support and a history of rock solid reliability with minimum maintenance. Range = 240 miles until dry (87 octane). What you'll give up is the ST smoothness, the quiet power, immediate luggage accessibility (you'll have to come up with a luggage solution), a no maintenance shaft drive (will need to periodically spray oil the chain on the Suzuki) and weather/wind protection.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Is it definately a Vee that you are after? Or are you just looking for something smaller that weighs less and is fun to ride? If the latter is what you after I would consider taking a look at the 650 Versys. I just got one a few weeks ago and the thing is a blast. I just did a 1300 mile trip over the weekend and loaded for the weekend I averaged 50-53 MPG. You can get yourself an 08 or 09 for around $4,000. Newer and cheaper then the Vee's.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300 '08
I sold my DL 650 for the following reasons: even with fork brace (helped a ton) and Sonic Springs, it gets tossed around a lot, I think due to the fundamental design of being tall, gangly, and the fairing shape etc.. Also bought expensive aftermarket windshields and that gizmo that allows you to adjust the windshield (forgot what it's called). Stop for gas, get on the bike, and get buffeted as you hit 35+ mph. No matter what I did.

Passing power on a two lane road behind an 18 wheeler? You better plan ahead.

I'm 6' tall and even at that there were times when I was tip-toeing at a stop.

MANY good traits: easy to ride, simple to work on, chain is not a problem, use that Dupont waxy spray stuff and it won't attract dirt. Good mpg's. Excellent in the mountains, around town. On a long haul - not for me.

The ST of course is a different animal as has been said - but the big 2 for me are the power and the stability in the wind.

I think if you get a DL you have to realize you'll be spending $$ trying to make it into something it's not... or just ride it and realize on the other hand that it needs time to overtake when passing, you will get blown around in the wind, and your head will get buffeted. Nonetheless, lots of loyal DL'ers out there. Have fun

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I sold my 2006 VStrom 1000 because it didn't get ridden enough. And it is a bigger bike than the ST1300 (longer leg reach to the ground). But it is easier to maneuver and was pretty nimble.

Other points about the VStrom:
  • It generates lots of wind buffeting on head. You'll have to change windshield, MADSTAD bracket, and mirror extenders to decrease that.
  • You'll need to add luggage.
  • It doesn't come with ABS (but the VStrom 650 has it as an option)
  • Chain drive needs a bit of maintenance. Use DuPont Teflon spray instead of chain oils/waxes/greases.
  • Less fuel tank range...225 mi was a stretched tank on it whereas I get 300+ mi routinely on my ST. (Both got the same 50-51mpg at Colorado elevations / speeds)
  • Smoothness... it's pretty good, but no where near as smooth as a Honda V4.
  • Throttle was good and uniform, no sharp power 'on/off' point like the ST has.
  • 2005 and earlier has a bad surging fuel map at ~2500rpm and lower. My 2006 was good through all rpms.
  • Brakes are not strong and have very vague feedback--many owners change out all the hosing to upper end braided hoses to diminish that. In Advanced rider's course fast stops, I routinely locked the rear and occasionally the front and I couldn't reliably tell the transition point.
  • Ergonomics (pegs-seat-bars) were very comfy to me on the VStrom--no mods requred.
  • Front suspension is very wallowy, and it generates lots of front end dive on braking.
  • No doubt I forgot a couple items...
Hope that helps...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jrnyer
Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Wow, lots of great info. Thanks to everyone so far. I know the wind protection is something I will have to give up, and the iron horse the ST is will never be replaced, but I'm hoping for something just a tad smaller and less weight (knees are not the same as they used to be). I also like the idea of some off road riding, mainly fire roads, since I grew up racing desert races. Keep the ideas coming.....:) I might mention I'm 6'0 and a whopping 165lbs.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
Not much help, but I almost went for a DL1000 before the ST came up. The reason the ST won was that it was $3000 cheaper, local (vs 4 hours away for the V) and it has a bigger fuel range (which I will be needing at the end of June).

I read mainly good stuff about the V while researching it, most owners think they are great. I guess it's about expectations - if you are expecting a cheap KTM 990 it might disappoint, if you just want a cheap, reliable Adv-style bike that'll be more than good enough most of the time then it'd probably be a decent bike.

Bike
05' ST1300
Hey there JrnySTer, don't mean to keep beating this horse but thought I'd share my experience. My brother bought a 650vstrom about 1300 miles away and I volunteered to bring it home for him since i love road trips and he didn't have any road experience. I have a ST as well. Again, both are great bikes but make sure you know how your going to run the V, if its fire roads, around town and a 200 miles here and there then I think you'll love it. Definitely light and nimble and super reliable but you'd have to spend cash to get it long haul ready. I couldn't wait to get off the bike at fuel stops, didn't like stock seat. ;-) As some other post said, i found it extremely rough at highway speeds with helmet wind and poor overall wind protection but throttle response and other functions seemed good to me. Not wanting to compare ST and V so just know application. Cheers! Scott

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I just picked up a 650 VStrom that my daughter and I are going to share (you just know how that is going to work out:)) Intent is that it is for use on the many gravel/forestry roads that we have nearby. She also plans on touring a bit with it as her sportbike is a bit uncomfortable for all day riding. From my riding of it so far, it does what it is supposed to do quite well. Front suspension is a "willowy" but supposedly a fork brace works wonders for that. It is like a kite in the wind. Poor windshield (even with the Madstad adjuster). Sure it has less power than the ST but it has more than enough.
I rode one of these all around NZ last year and it did just fine. Most of the riding was relatively slow but it will cruise at 85mph easily. For what I bought it for I think it will do just fine but it is no substitute for the ST for long distance touring. Fun, all around, run around...... tough to beat. Combined with its bullet proof reliability record, I am looking forward to getting some time in the back country on it.

Rod

Bike
Vstrom 650
Brakes are not strong and have very vague feedback--many owners change out all the hosing to upper end braided hoses to diminish that. In Advanced rider's course fast stops, I routinely locked the rear and occasionally the front and I couldn't reliably tell the transition point.
Hi,
Looking at maybe buying an 06 Vee,it has the braided lines and ebc pads fitted,I think the brakes and possible clutch and fueling problems are the biggest concerns,the bike I'm going to see has aftermarket cans and a custom pc3 map, have to admit despite everyone saying the wee/glee are great,and no doubt they are, the extra power of the TL engine could be the selling point for me.
any regrets on selling yours? thanks

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
any regrets on selling yours? thanks
Hi broc, no regrets really as I really wasn't making enough use of 2 bikes. If I only had the vstrom, I'd be a happy-enough boy, but based on my riding preferences, the goodness of the ST, and desire to ride only abs equipped bikes, keep getting the ST was the better choice. I enjoyed it, but couldn't rationalize it sitting for 6 months at a time.

Top Bottom