Trailer Tie Down

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would just like to point out that the rear end should be tied down as well.
My B-I-L saw a dirt bike in the back of a pickup tied down well with the front end compressed.
The driver had someone pull out in front of him and when he hammered the brakes the bike rotated on the front end... rear end smacked the trucks cab and then went side ways...

I throw a tie down across the back through the rear tire along with my front end being compressed.
Diff is the dirt bike rotated around the headstock while the handlebars and front wheel remained in place. Four tiedowns to the tipover bars are too forward and aft to allow rotation like that. I would probably still tie the rear down though.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I use 4 ties (2 each side) on tipover bars with covers removed. One more to anchor the rear wheel.

Pic here when I first picked up the bike. The ties were old and one of them sheared during transit. Fortunately I had looped the excess strap through the hook loops, then tied. When the tie sheared, the excess cinched and kept the bike from falling.

Stopped and bought new straps and pitched those....

Pic here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23242&d=1190683878

Bike
03' ST1300
STOC #
tied down well with the front end compressed.
When I tied it down I cinch it down until the suspension doesn't compress any when I sit on the bike, this effectively has the both the front and back sucked down. I've grabbed the back rack and given it a hardy tug and it didn't even offer to budge. I'm satisfied with my tie down method.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Wow old thread. In 2012 I responded asking for pics of tie downs on the tip over bars. Later that year I took everyone's advice when my wife and I trailered the ST from Ohio to Montana for a Pacific Northwest Tour. It worked out fine. maybe 5,000 miles of towing out and back. Harbor freight chock, couple ratchet tie straps on tip over bars, a couple soft loops in the back on the grab handles with ancra type straps and another pair of soft straps around the rear frame brackets with ancra type straps (with saddlebags bags and trunk removed and placed in the truck).

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Look for straps that have low stretching issues when they get wet
Sounds like something a salesman would write. (Not saying you are affiliated.) Nylon is the only synthetic material you need to worry about and it's so stretchy to begin with it makes cruddy tie-downs. Just use polyester and all is good, polypropylene if on a budget.

Always check straps after the first 20 miles and every fuel up thereafter.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I found with my HF trailer, the trailer flexed and allowed the straps to come loose, unless I looped the strap over the hooks.
trailer.jpg

With my new trailer, I don't think I have to worry too much about the flex, but now, out of habit, I run the straps over the hooks.
trailer-Aug-2017-1-lite.jpg

BTW, for those of you that mounted the GW bars in the back, they are great for tie-downs! :D

Here's the link to a bunch of pictures on my older trailer set up:
ST1300 Trailering

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Down and dirty on a 4x8 trailer after a front in FLAT at speed!

20151115_093340.jpg
I never thought to use the engine guards as the down points. I have the handle bar attachment. I think I'll be using the engine guards for now on. . I use the grab bar as my rear the down point. I have an open 5 x 10.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I never thought to use the engine guards as the down points. I have the handle bar attachment. I think I'll be using the engine guards for now on. . I use the grab bar as my rear the down point. I have an open 5 x 10.
Yeah, the last place to tiedown a ST1300 is the handlebars! They will probably break before bending!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Anyone else notice that Harbor Freight dropped all their trailers from their catalog?

Not that I would use a Harbor Freight trailer to haul an ST1300... Well, maybe the small cargo trailer behind an ST...

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Condor says you only have to use 2 tie downs. I called to ask whether the tip over bars would work. They recomended against it. They suggested using the passenger hand holds. I have a soft loop over them and attach the other end to the front of the traier and haven't had a problem.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
They suggested using the passenger hand holds.
I'm not sure on the ST11, but on the 13 those are plastic. Thick and strong plastic.. but plastic. Might use those for stabilizing but I don't think I would trust them as exclusive.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anyone else notice that Harbor Freight dropped all their trailers from their catalog?

Not that I would use a Harbor Freight trailer to haul an ST1300... Well, maybe the small cargo trailer behind an ST...
Works great. just re-pack the bearings and get rid of the cheap OEM vaseline.
I used my HF trailer for 14 years. It was a great little trailer! Of course, I modified it a lot! The main reason I didn't buy another one this time was that they quit selling the non-folding trailer! And I didn't want a folding one but the 4' X 8' fits my side yard much better. I found a great deal on the 5'X8', the one I bought, but now I get to modify it! :D

Jim, you made me look at the HF site and you are correct, the trailers are gone! :eek:4:

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I'm not sure on the ST11, but on the 13 those are plastic. Thick and strong plastic.. but plastic. Might use those for stabilizing but I don't think I would trust them as exclusive.
I thought they were aluminum?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom