avon front tire wobble

I have been doing basic maintence on the bikes, 99 st1100, 91 concours. tires brakes fluids, when i got the concours back it had front
wobble 40 to 60 mph. Found out it was caused by the new avon storm tire, changed to a battelax. reading some tire threads here
this is not uncommon for avons.Can i get my money back, never seen this in my 40 plus yrs of buying mc tires.
steve

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
They would likely provide a free replacement under their warranty (I did), but the replacement will do the same thing. Never heard of a refund. The Storm is the problem, not the bike..

Bike
99 ST1100
Doubt you'd get your money back but might be worth a phone call to try. Run lots of different tires on my 1100 and the Avon's were the only tire that wobbled like that.

OP
OP
Wondering what to do with a brand new tire thats no good. I would think avon, should love to get it back,to resolve this issue.

OP
OP
after contacting avon,they said i could send the tire back back,but it had to go through dealer. I decided too stop wasting time with this and tossed the tire.
I think the problem is in the tread pattern, the contact patch is separated by a deep rain groove and then the contact patch is on the other side.
And yes the wooble was only bad with hand or hands off of handlebars,but i just couldnt live with it. so a over 200$ waste of time and money ,but
some other things got repaired in the process.
steve

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Hi. I have Storm 2's fitted and had a slight wobble at 40mph, but only when decelerating. New head bearings were required at that time and once fitted the wobble has disappeared. I love the tyres and they are great in both the wet and dry and they have returned great mileage so far with about 3.5 / 4 mm tread left on both. I will happily fit another set and will be using Dyna beads to ensure that the balance is maintained throughout the tyre life. Just my 2c worth. Cheers

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
after contacting avon,they said i could send the tire back back,but it had to go through dealer. I decided too stop wasting time with this and tossed the tire.
steve

Tossed them??...I would have taken them off your hands!

That's interesting!!!!!
I'm on my at least 5th set on the ST11, and as many on my R1150. No issues so far....Had a road hazard,,,,Avon replaced no squalks.
There's a lot going on on a bike before the rubber hits the road,,,possibly other tires may be masking other issues.
Good luck with your new hides>>>>

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I'm the same as Cammy, though on my second ST1100 here and have gone through several sets of Avons without an issue, other than a nail in my last rear tyre, which I can hardly blame on the tyre.....

I have about 6000 on my current front with about 2.5mm plus remaining, considering it came with 3.8mm that is very good wear. The DynaBeads appear to be making quite a difference.... that and the fact I never take both hands off the bars when riding.....

OP
OP
I still have the new avon on the rear.and yes everyone said its not the tire its something else. well it was the tire no doubt. Now I read that avon rears
likthe too pick up nails. blowouts? I thought those were gone with tube tires. sorry I tossed the front avon,i thought someone might want it, but didnt
want too put anyone threw the hassle i had.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I still have a few thousand km to go on my first set of Avons. Good tire, sticks well for the riding I do, good in the rain too. 40psi front and 42 rear seems to work well. Don't like the front end wobble, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Overall there are limited choices for 1100 riders. Best tire for me so far was the Z6.

Top Bottom