chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I've read this article here :

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300_b.html#Engine

and a few other articles on the ST forum so I think I'm going to try it in the next week or 2 (when I get some free time). However, none of the articles or threads I read seem to tell me what is it exactly I am 'feeling' to know that I need to adjust it ? I have owned this 2005 since new, have 130k on it and never needed to adjust it. Then all of a sudden a few weeks ago, I notice a vibration in my seat, my bars and in my pegs. At first I thought I was low on oil, or my new tire was out of balance, but its not a big vibration. Its this annoying as hell vibration that I feel on my track bike thru the handle bars because it has no bar end weights. Like a secondary vibration ? I feel the vibration at 40-60mph (where most cruising on back roads happen) and almost in any gear.

Is this the tell tale that I FINALLY need to adjust the balancers ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Mods feel free to move this thread if I have posted it to the wrong forum.

Bike
05 1300a
Hello ! At your mile mark it may help. I took a pre photo and winged it . The to tite whine is easy to hear. You can always undo it if you have a picture. Try it ! takes ll of 20 min Good luck joe

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I doubt adjusting the gear lash of the counter balancers will accomplish much. The adjustment changes the amount of engagement between the driven and drive gears of the system. Too tight and you will hear and exaggerated gear whine, too loose and you'll hear some grumbling due to rattling between the gears. The adjustment does not change the phase of the balancer weights with respect to the crankshaft.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I agree, it does get rid of a rattle at idle, much like a loose clutch basket, but has no effect on smoothness at speed....maybe new plugs are in order.....

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You said you had new tires! ????? Might this be where your issue is coming from?. Could it be something related to mounting the wheels? Have you thrown a wheel weight?
Mine has a real buzzing at 22-37 mph. I know it is a wheel issue and will live with it.

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I agree, it does get rid of a rattle at idle, much like a loose clutch basket, but has no effect on smoothness at speed....maybe new plugs are in order.....
I'll try to throw some plugs in there, I replace my plugs every 20-25k...

You said you had new tires! ????? Might this be where your issue is coming from?. Could it be something related to mounting the wheels? Have you thrown a wheel weight?
Mine has a real buzzing at 22-37 mph. I know it is a wheel issue and will live with it.
I didn't notice any missing weights but will check again. I'll loosen up the pinch bolts on the front end (that's the one I changed) and re-torque them down and see if that makes a difference or not...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'd do the throttle body sync. That will smooth things out both at idle and speed.
Pretty simple with a carbpro tool. Takes about 1/2 hour.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Just to add to an old thread, the counter balancer adjustment did help a little on the roll on and low RPM's vibration. There are other issues to address on the vibs :)

Top Bottom